Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Flip side would be whether they would have as many points as they do now if certain other clubs hadn't viewed them as the prime opportunity to pad their U-21 minutes stats. Think Phil dos Santos deserves a lot of credit though and if the Valour are back next season (strongly suspect they will be) they would be crazy not to still have him around if he wants to stay.

14 hours ago, top cheese said:

you have to think where valour might be without throwing away the points they have this season and if they had the two signings from quebeac all year. the forward is dangerous every time hes on the ball 1v1

I disagree about Kwemi. He's not afraid to take players on, but his success rate is not good and other parts of his game severely lacking. Mlah is a much less impressive player on the surface, but much smarter and has a bigger impact on things.

As to Parrot's point about opponents using the matches to pad their U21 totals, I'd suggest he provide the evidence for the claim.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

...As to Parrot's point about opponents using the matches to pad their U21 totals, I'd suggest he provide the evidence for the claim.

Alternatively you and your friend with the dodgy dated GIF should perhaps consult a dictionary at this point and try to determine what whether means in this context and what it implies.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Alternatively you and your friend with the dodgy dated GIF should perhaps consult a dictionary at this point and try to determine what whether means in this context and what it implies.

It would be trivially easy to go through the box scores and compare the U21 minutes against Valour with U21 amounts against other opponents. I'd be happy to admit you're right but I'm not going to do the work for you.

You really need to have it explained to you that I didn't actually claim anything in that regard and that the words whether and if should have made that clear to you? If I had wanted to claim something rather than simply raise that scenario as a possibility the wording would have been something like:

Flip side would be that they would not have as many points as they do now because certain other clubs would no longer have viewed them as the prime opportunity to pad their U-21 minutes stats.

Flip side would be whether Mr Parrot would be such a dick if certain other posters hadn't viewed him as a huge troll. Think most posters deserves a lot of credit when they ignore him and if Mr parrot continues his shit season after season (strongly suspect he will) they would be crazy not to continue to continue ignoring him.

See I stuck whether and if in there, so the rest of the insinuating insults I said are ok, get it now??  And remember he has said many times he has ignored me so he wont see this, so he wont respond unless he is some sort of troll who lies and lies.  

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You really need to have it explained to you that I didn't actually claim anything in that regard and that the words whether and if should have made that clear to you? If I had wanted to claim something rather than simply raise that scenario as a possibility the wording would have been something like:

Flip side would be that they would not have as many points as they do now because certain other clubs would no longer have viewed them as the prime opportunity to pad their U-21 minutes stats.

I apologize if English isn't your first language, but in your original wording you leave the points total as a question for the reader (would Valour be worse?) but not the fact of other teams padding their U21 minutes. 

Flip side would be whether they would have as many points as they do now if certain other clubs hadn't viewed them as the prime opportunity to pad their U-21 minutes stats.

Frankly, if you didn't consider the U21 minutes-padding to be a likely scenario you wouldn't have mentioned it at all. And you are probably, to a degree, correct. Why not prove it?

47 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

What does Valour need in the last weekend to make the playoffs??

Valour must win

Pacific must lose

Vancouver must not win

Anything else?  (Goal differential?)

Believe it goes to head-to-head after points and wins. I'm not sure if they do GD in head-to-head after points in head-to-head but they're tied 2-2 in H2H results with Pacific. 

They need three matches including their own to go exactly as needed for that to be a factor, regardless. 

Edited by Mihairokov

2 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Believe it goes to head-to-head after points and wins. I'm not sure if they do GD in head-to-head after points in head-to-head but they're tied 2-2 in H2H results with Pacific. 

They need three matches including their own to go exactly as needed for that to be a factor, regardless. 

Valour does have GD against Pacific 6-5, but yeah, all three results still have to go their way.

9 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Valour does have GD against Pacific 6-5, but yeah, all three results still have to go their way.

Tie breaks are...

1. Total number of wins
2. Head-to-Head
3. Goal Differential
4. Goals For

If Pacific lose and Valour win: 1. # wins - Pacific 8, Valour 8; 2. head-to-head 2-2 (Valour has +1 on goal differential head-to-head but that does not appear to matter); 3. goal differential currently Pacifc lead -6, -10; 4. goals for Valour lead 30, 26

So, Valour has to win and Pacific has to lose AND by a combined margin of 4 goals!?!

Are you 100% certain that "Head-to-Head" only refers to points and not to goal difference over the four regular season games as well? It isn't explicitly stated on the league website:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-updates-to-competition-guidelines-ahead-of-2024-season

1. Total number of wins
  2. Head-to-Head* (New in 2024)
  3. Goal Differential
  4. Goals For
  5. Away goals differential
  6. Away goals for
  7. Home goals differential 
  8. Home goals for
  9. Fewest Disciplinary Points* (New in 2024)
  10. Most Under-21 Domestic Player Minutes
  11. Coin toss (tie between two clubs) or drawing of lots (tie between three or more clubs)

It probably means what you think it does but it's not particularly well drafted. Would have been easy to eliminate any ambiguity by wording it:

2. Points gained Head-to-Head

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

32 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are you 100% certain that "Head-to-Head" only refers to points and not to goal difference over the four regular season games as well? It isn't explicitly stated on the league website:

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-updates-to-competition-guidelines-ahead-of-2024-season

1. Total number of wins
  2. Head-to-Head* (New in 2024)
  3. Goal Differential
  4. Goals For
  5. Away goals differential
  6. Away goals for
  7. Home goals differential 
  8. Home goals for
  9. Fewest Disciplinary Points* (New in 2024)
  10. Most Under-21 Domestic Player Minutes
  11. Coin toss (tie between two clubs) or drawing of lots (tie between three or more clubs)

It probably means what you think it does but it's not particularly well drafted. Would have been easy to eliminate any ambiguity by wording it:

2. Points gained Head-to-Head

I am asking the same question.  I am not certain.  I am interpreting the stated rules and speculating that "2. Head-to-Head" does not include goal differential -- but also hoping that it does!

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I am asking the same question.  I am not certain.  I am interpreting the stated rules and speculating that "2. Head-to-Head" does not include goal differential -- but also hoping that it does!

That's a pretty good question.  I was assuming it did, but I don't know.

Valour FC's sad tale of the (very few) players resigned from 2023...

Williams - injured, has not played in 2024 (signed for 2025)
Polisi - injured, recovered?, has not played in 2024
Haynes - 0 starts, 70 mins - used little in 2023, even less in 2024
Murasiranwa - 2 starts, 234 mins - used sparingly in 2023 and 2024
Samake - 3 starts, 270 mins - released early in the season
Sanchez - 7 starts, 677 mins - less minutes than last year
Ohin - 6 starts, 1140 mins - used mainly as a sub
Campbell - 23 starts, 1998 mins - only regular starter in this list