Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

10 hours ago, K Edgar said:

image.png.cc7998acd43c0cc3d8ecc95964ed0317.pngHarry Potter-Swibel, Mlah and Antonoglou make TOTW

LOL. 

Yeah.  That celeb on it's own gets you on TOTW.  Never mind the footballing performance.

At a loss to say where Valour would be this season without Campbell.  Is not getting the recognition he deserves but absolutely has my 2nd vote for Valour player of the year.    

U21 Minutes

Valour FC had 1383 U21 minutes after 12 games -- average 115.25

Since then they have added only 135 minute in 7 games -- average 19.3

Need to average 53.3 in the remaining 9 games. 

Will Sanchez return to the lineup (currently injured or just in PDS' doghouse?) or will Binate start getting some serious minute again?  I don't think Hanson will get another minute.  I shake my head every time they sub in Verhoeven (recently used in a more offensive role) ahead of Binate and Kwemi.  I would be tempted to start Binate replacing Hundal.

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Noticed in a recent Instagram post by Valour that Artemenko is still there. Is he just training with Valour or is he actually registered to play?

I noticed that too.  He is not listed on the Thompson Rivers soccer roster for this year so perhaps there is something.  Valour could be keeping him around as insurance in the case of an injury.  Would not be surprised if Murasiranwa was not back with Valour in 2025, maybe Artemenko is being groomed as the backup GK for 2025?  A local player on the roster would be nice!

As far as I can find Artemenko only contract with Valour was a short-term one in May...

30 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

I noticed that too.  He is not listed on the Thompson Rivers soccer roster for this year so perhaps there is something.  Valour could be keeping him around as insurance in the case of an injury.  Would not be surprised if Murasiranwa was not back with Valour in 2025, maybe Artemenko is being groomed as the backup GK for 2025?  A local player on the roster would be nice!

As far as I can find Artemenko only contract with Valour was a short-term one in May...

Raises the question though, What happened to Kour? I think Murasiranwa wants to play regularly and wont get that with Viscosi there. Artemenko would be happy to stay as backup as he is happy to train with them as backup/emergency keeper with 2 other keepers ahead of him. Plus, he has a really good relationship with Di Stefani.

14 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Raises the question though, What happened to Kour?

Adam Kour was 16 as of May.  Sign him to a development contract (or Exceptional Young Talent contact), have him train with Valour while getting some playing time with FC Manitoba (assuming it still exists and plays in 2025).  I think 3rd string would be a good start for him at his age.

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

U21 Minutes

Valour FC had 1383 U21 minutes after 12 games -- average 115.25

Since then they have added only 135 minute in 7 games -- average 19.3

Need to average 53.3 in the remaining 9 games. 

Will Sanchez return to the lineup (currently injured or just in PDS' doghouse?) or will Binate start getting some serious minute again?  I don't think Hanson will get another minute.  I shake my head every time they sub in Verhoeven (recently used in a more offensive role) ahead of Binate and Kwemi.  I would be tempted to start Binate replacing Hundal.

Binate for sure against Vancouver.  We're going into a hard patch in the schedule after Sunday so expect it's sub minutes from there.

18 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Binate for sure against Vancouver.  We're going into a hard patch in the schedule after Sunday so expect it's sub minutes from there.

PDS seems really enamored with Mlah, who has been better than I had expected but definitely only ok. It's shifted everyone down the midfield pecking order, which is a good thing in that Verhoeven is further away from real minutes, but makes it more difficult for Sanchez (if healthy) to help make up the quota.

I don't know why Binate lost his spot to Faria (and/or Hundal) who hasn't been particularly effective.

13 hours ago, jonovision said:

PDS seems really enamored with Mlah, who has been better than I had expected but definitely only ok. It's shifted everyone down the midfield pecking order, which is a good thing in that Verhoeven is further away from real minutes, but makes it more difficult for Sanchez (if healthy) to help make up the quota.

I don't know why Binate lost his spot to Faria (and/or Hundal) who hasn't been particularly effective.

PDS seems to taking the don't change it if is working and is sticking with the same starting lineup as much as possible.

This has caused Mlah to get game time over Ohin and Sanchez (if healthy), and Faria/Hundal over Binate/Kwemi.

Mlah has adapted to the CanPL admirably but I am not sure he is a clear improvement over Ohin or Sanchez.

I like Faria, but again would not consider him better than Binate.  While Hundal, unfortunately, has not lived up to expectations.  Kwemi has not be given a fair chance to this point - 6 appearances totaling 103 minute.

36 minutes ago, Big_M said:

last year after 20 games valour also had 20 points and they finished the season with 26 points...will they get to 26 this year or will they finish with more or less??

More.

If they do finish with less they will be cutting 16 players and have an unrecognizable team in the new year, again.  Oh, and firing PDS.

5 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

More.

If they do finish with less they will be cutting 16 players and have an unrecognizable team in the new year, again.  Oh, and firing PDS.

his contract ends this year...do you think theres any chance he stays if they miss playoffs?

14 hours ago, Big_M said:

his contract ends this year...do you think theres any chance he stays if they miss playoffs?

If Valour finishes the season with a whimper like they did last year (7 loses in the last 9 games) then he has to go.

I think recruiting and player retention has been a bigger issue than his coaching.  How much of the recruiting/retention is PDS' fault and how much is budget constraints is another issue.

Saint Laurent looked very well organized in the Canadian Championship.  Would Valour gain more taking their coach than their players?

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

If Valour finishes the season with a whimper like they did last year (7 loses in the last 9 games) then he has to go.

I think recruiting and player retention has been a bigger issue than his coaching.  How much of the recruiting/retention is PDS' fault and how much is budget constraints is another issue.

Saint Laurent looked very well organized in the Canadian Championship.  Would Valour gain more taking their coach than their players?

that would be another rookie head coach at the pro level and theyve already done that twice with gale and dos santos

On 8/19/2024 at 11:28 PM, Cheeta said:

At a loss to say where Valour would be this season without Campbell.  Is not getting the recognition he deserves but absolutely has my 2nd vote for Valour player of the year.    

Campbell makes TOTW while playing out of position at RB.  Some well deserved recognition.

Edited by K Edgar

On 8/26/2024 at 4:49 PM, K Edgar said:

Player retention will be affected by league performance and budget constraints. Take a look at the season Atletico Ottawa had compared to Valour. If you were de Brienne and Yesli, where would you want to play? On the other hand, if a player has the sort of season like Antonoglu is having and a "bigger" team comes sniffing around, it is a no brainer unless you are constantly pushing for top spot.

On the budget side of things, Valour finish bottom and offer player 'X' a certain amount to renew because it's all they are allowed, if someone like HFX offer the same or slightly more, where would you go?

Which brings me to recruitment. What sort of scouting/player recruitment setup do Valour actually have? Are we not finding good enough players due to not having the scouting reach? Or because we can't afford them?

52 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Player retention will be affected by league performance and budget constraints. Take a look at the season Atletico Ottawa had compared to Valour. If you were de Brienne and Yesli, where would you want to play? On the other hand, if a player has the sort of season like Antonoglu is having and a "bigger" team comes sniffing around, it is a no brainer unless you are constantly pushing for top spot.

On the budget side of things, Valour finish bottom and offer player 'X' a certain amount to renew because it's all they are allowed, if someone like HFX offer the same or slightly more, where would you go?

Which brings me to recruitment. What sort of scouting/player recruitment setup do Valour actually have? Are we not finding good enough players due to not having the scouting reach? Or because we can't afford them?

These sorts of questions affect staff changes, too. Valour's issues mirror those of the Jets: if they want to fire a coach but can't attract a suitable replacement is it worth firing him in the end? Is there any guarantee that Valour can attract and/or afford a coach who would be better than PDS?

22 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

These sorts of questions affect staff changes, too. Valour's issues mirror those of the Jets: if they want to fire a coach but can't attract a suitable replacement is it worth firing him in the end? Is there any guarantee that Valour can attract and/or afford a coach who would be better than PDS?

At the same time, is it a case of PDS is a bad coach, or that he doesn't have the full backing of the board?

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

At the same time, is it a case of PDS is a bad coach, or that he doesn't have the full backing of the board?

I don't think any coach makes the playoffs with the roster that Valour has the last few years.

It makes it hard to know how good of a coach PDS is. He's definitely got the least talented roster in the league every year.