Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 2/5/2024 at 2:44 PM, K Edgar said:

GKs unchanged

Defense appears to be significantly strengthened from last season.

Midfield slightly weaker as I do not see a replacement of Guti's quality.

Forwards appear to be strengthened (how could it get any worse).  Still a number of positions to fill upfront but Hundal is a good start.

U21's, as mentioned above, is still a big question mark.

I think the team is in a much better position to succeed then in past years. Do I expect them to be at the top of the table, no but I think they will be a much more difficult team to breakdown then in previous years. I think the key is that they have added some balance in their lineup and depth at positions to add competition and some injury cover. 

Yelsi i don't believe is a big loss. I think he has the tools to be good but he allows to many soft goals and is pretty poor with the ball at his feet. His stats were inflated from Valours poor team last season

Any added trailists to the camp roster?

10 hours ago, top cheese said:

Any added trailists to the camp roster?

Third from left and far right (both in black)??

17 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Name that Valour player!  Left Tass M (Thanks @shorty), Sanchez (white shirt), ??? (Black), ??? (green, background), Murasiranwa (red),  Binate (green), Haynes (white, background), and lastly - going out on a limb: ? Nakye Greenidge-Duncan (U21 TFC II cast-off) ? (furthest right)

Is it just me or does it seem like almost every other CPL team has made some big improvements the last couple weeks??  Halifax, York and Ottawa for sure, and Calgary/Hamilton were already good.  I like the moves we made, but it still seems like the gap is widening, Valour is falling further behind.  

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Is it just me or does it seem like almost every other CPL team has made some big improvements the last couple weeks??  Halifax, York and Ottawa for sure, and Calgary/Hamilton were already good.  I like the moves we made, but it still seems like the gap is widening, Valour is falling further behind.  

Does feel that way doesn't it.

Valour appears to have put their efforts into improving the defense while the main issue -- offense -- remains.  Hundal was a good start but all their other additions up front so far (Swibel, Binate, Sheppard) are unproven.  Unless Valour manages a couple breakout season from these offensive no-names we could be in for another long, long season.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You don't think much of BC?

I just one there to be one signing that makes the league take note. We might be a better team (who knows really) but there hasn’t been one signing that people were envious of that I can think of.

Valour could use some star power (speaking in relative terms). 

Edited by Wippersuna

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Yes. Valour haven’t signed any difference makers on offence. I see no reason for optimism.

How can anyone look at the roster and think Valour will be a playoff team this season.

Edited by Soccerpro2

Few weeks yet to bring in talent so the book isn't closed just yet but yeah, clock is ticking louder by the day.

Getting a suspicious feeling PDS was banking on Escalante making a return to CPL.  False hope it seems. 

Hoping Hundal works out well for you guys and puts a good number of balls in the back of the net.

He didn't fit in Vancouver FC's plans, and was a bit selfish after his quick start last season, but paired with someone who can feed him the ball and some maturing on his part, he could surprise. Wish him well.

Edited by CDNFootballer

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Hoping Hundal works out well for you guys and puts a good number of balls in the back of the net.

He didn't fit in Vancouver FC's plans, and was a bit selfish after his quick start last season, but paired with someone who can feed him the ball and some maturing on his part, he could surprise. Wish him well.

I take exception to that part. His starting position, his minutes, and even his jersey number were given to Diaz, who proceeded to (individually, at least) do very very little. And iirc Hundal was league scoring leader (or damn close) at the time or just before the arrival of Diaz. He didn't complain in the media, didn't grumble to fans during the many public events he was as at representing his club; he put his head down and worked hard as a converted winger, a role that didn't suit his skill set. You could point out his flaws, but selfishness in attitude or playing style wasn't his undoing.

20 hours ago, nolando said:

I take exception to that part. His starting position, his minutes, and even his jersey number were given to Diaz, who proceeded to (individually, at least) do very very little. And iirc Hundal was league scoring leader (or damn close) at the time or just before the arrival of Diaz. He didn't complain in the media, didn't grumble to fans during the many public events he was as at representing his club; he put his head down and worked hard as a converted winger, a role that didn't suit his skill set. You could point out his flaws, but selfishness in attitude or playing style wasn't his undoing.

Selfish in that multiple times, coming in with a team mate who was in a much better position to receive a pass from him with one man back at times, he kept choosing to go for the goal when it was so obvious he needed to pass. Was frustrating to watch. Could just be he was pumped up by his quick start but he needs to work on that part of his game. Hopefully he matures and addresses that, hope he does and he scores a bunch for Valour (except vs Vancouver FC).

https://twitter.com/Makelevi/status/1761422332390728024?s=20

Rather they saved the money and spent it on bringing in someone that could be a difference maker.

The overall balance of the squad looks to be an improvement but overall is lagging behind literally EVERYONE else in the league. The attacking pieces, out wide and through the middle just aren't there... yet... hopefully coming.

Funny that the graphic text would highlight his one season playing in the Icelandic third tier when he played more recently, and for longer, in the Icelandic premier league, including scoring 5 goals in 2022. 

Anyway, he was one of the only creative forces in the team last year and will have to do even more of the same in 2024 if Valour is to finish above the basement.

Edited by jonovision

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

Funny that the graphic text would highlight his one season playing in the Icelandic third tier when he played more recently, and for longer, in the Icelandic premier league, including scoring 5 goals in 2022. 

Anyway, he was one of the only creative forces in the team last year and will have to do even more of the same in 2024 if Valour is to finish above the basement.

It’s true.

As it stands, we could somehow even be worse offensively this year.

PDS said he knew our offence wasn’t good enough early last year, but obviously didn’t/couldn’t do anything about it.

I wonder how much of this falls on him vs on his limited spending ability.

Edited by Soccerpro2

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

It’s true.

As it stands, we could somehow even be worse offensively this year.

PDS said he knew our offence wasn’t good enough early last year, but obviously didn’t/couldn’t do anything about it.

I wonder how much of this falls on him vs on his limited spending ability.

PDS seems to have spent more time and money on rebuilding the defense than the offense.  On the offense side he seems to have bet his future on Hundal.  There are still about 2 unannounced signings or trialists slot in the offense (one has to be U21) - hopefully we get a pleasant surprise?

Anyone had the time and inclination to attend a practice -- "Wednesday’s training goes at WSF North at 10 a.m. with Thursday and Friday’s at WSF South, both at 10 a.m. All sessions are open to the public."

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

Good move by the league to add a new roster spot for a 3rd keeper.

Would explain why Valour "retained" the USports rights to Jordan Tisseur.  Would hope they have some local talent (Barker/Artemenko/Rode) competing for this spot, even if it is truly just practice roster spot.

Edited by K Edgar

On 3/4/2024 at 6:36 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone know where in Portugal they're going to?

Whatever town PDS resided in during his years in Portugal??  Would be interested to know the 3 local teams they will play during their visit.  Most likely a mix of 2nd/3rd tier?