Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh its a delicate balance, let Yesli go for basically nothing...he is happy-team suffers. Hopefully we get some sort of % if Ottawa sells him in a year or two.  

Dont let Henry go until you get a better deal-you are a bunch of shits and no one will want to sign with Forge in the future and Henry sits anyways.    

Right?

PDS burned bridges when he sidelined CFM loanee Sirous for Yesli.  Took development time away from Sirous for Yesli, and now Yesli, in short order, has moved on.  I mean I get.  Developing a property over a loanee but... you gotta think about the long game.  Cheeta shakes head.  Gives a very sad, almost grim,  LOL. 

That's not going to go away. Just ask Rob Gayle.  Once your branded.... Going forward, PDS is going to wear that, and any CPL team that employs PDS will wear it also.  That can't be a good thing. 

As for Henry and Forge.  If half true, Cheeta likes/loves it..  Fu'k Forge.  Let them make their bed and let them the dumb cunts lie in it.  

19 hours ago, jonovision said:

So basically we got nothing.

I am hearing that Yesli's transfer included an "undisclosed fee".  Since Verhoeven is a loan does Ottawa still cover his salary?  Or a portion of it?  If so this transaction appears to have been made for Valour's financial gain.

I like Murasiranwa but Yesli was one of the last remaining players that the Valour fans identify with from last years roster.  And the final player from the 2022 Valour roster to exit!!

Can't see Ottawa keeping Ingham and Yesli.  Would make sense if Ingham is moving to Forge as soon as the Herny situation is resolved.

26 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

I am hearing that Yesli's transfer included an "undisclosed fee".  Since Verhoeven is a loan does Ottawa still cover his salary?  Or a portion of it?  If so this transaction appears to have been made for Valour's financial gain.

I like Murasiranwa but Yesli was one of the last remaining players that the Valour fans identify with from last years roster.  And the final player from the 2022 Valour roster to exit!!

Can't see Ottawa keeping Ingham and Yesli.  Would make sense if Ingham is moving to Forge as soon as the Herny situation is resolved.

My "we got nothing" reaction was mostly based on how little I rate Verhoeven as a player, especially relative to the needs of the club. We already have a player (Polisi) who loves shuttling the ball side to side and running around without doing anything actually useful. Verhoven seems like he is very much from the same mould, but I suspect PDS will have a lot of lineups that include them both.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

My "we got nothing" reaction was mostly based on how little I rate Verhoeven as a player, especially relative to the needs of the club. We already have a player (Polisi) who loves shuttling the ball side to side and running around without doing anything actually useful. Verhoven seems like he is very much from the same mould, but I suspect PDS will have a lot of lineups that include them both.

I don't mind Verhoeven and was actually hoping he'd be added as squad depth/cover for Van FC, especially since he's basically from the same hood. I don't see him as a CPL starter, however, and he certainly won't be a savior.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

I don't mind Verhoeven and was actually hoping he'd be added as squad depth/cover for Van FC, especially since he's basically from the same hood. I don't see him as a CPL starter, however, and he certainly won't be a savior.

That's the problem, though. He will absolutely be a starter for Valour. I don't know the financial implications of this loan/trade, but Valour should not be spending any money or a valuable roster spot on someone who won't help in any way the team to score goals.

On 12/23/2023 at 2:09 PM, K Edgar said:

Games by retained Valour players: 170
Valour games by Guti Akio Musse Aird: 147
Games by released Valour players: 440 !!!
(not counted Ohin, Niyongabire (option undecided) and Pianelli (USports rights retained) as their status is undetermined)

Updated: (Yesli, Niyongabire gone) -- Valour fans will now be more familiar with Cavarly's line-up than Valour's! (and Ottawa is not far behind)

Games by retained Valour players: 133
Valour games by Guti Akio Musse Aird (Cavs): 147
Valour games by MdB Yesli (AOtt): 81
Games by released Valour players: 503 !!!
(not counted Ohin (option undecided) and Pianelli (USports rights retained) as their status is undetermined)

Don't see room for another defensive MF so I cannot see Ohin making the team.  Pianelli may be brought to camp to compete with Facchineri for the last CD spot but would say low chance of him making the squad.  They would add another 77 games to the released Valour players total.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Don't see room for another defensive MF so I cannot see Ohin making the team.  Pianelli may be brought to camp to compete with Facchineri for the last CD spot but would say low chance of him making the squad.  They would add another 77 games to the released Valour players total.

In the one game before he was injured Ohin was deployed in an advanced role and created a lot. I do think he has more to offer in that department than either Verhoeven or Polisi. I would like to see him back.

Was at my local gym a couple hours ago and saw a guy in a Valour training kit. Mentioned to him that you don't see much Valour gear around here (Hamilton). Turned out to be Sanchez. He said he was flying to Winnipeg next week for preseason. Asked if they were going anywhere and he said Portugal. Wished him luck for the upcoming season and that I hope you can make the playoffs. Nice approachable guy. 

2 hours ago, Ftduck said:

Was at my local gym a couple hours ago and saw a guy in a Valour training kit. Mentioned to him that you don't see much Valour gear around here (Hamilton). Turned out to be Sanchez. He said he was flying to Winnipeg next week for preseason. Asked if they were going anywhere and he said Portugal. Wished him luck for the upcoming season and that I hope you can make the playoffs. Nice approachable guy. 

There haven't been a lot of positive signals this offseason, but am I correct in saying this will be their first ever pre-seaosn trip outside Canada? Maybe Wade Miller is loosening the pursestrings just a little?

Can someone with more knowledge put together a list of our best starting 11 and backups? I feel like I’m lost with how much turnover there’s been.

Looking at Transfermarkt doesn’t help as from the looks of it we are running a 4-5-1 with Williams drifting forward.

Then again maybe we are. 

Edited by Wippersuna

https://www.transfermarkt.us/valour-fc/kader/verein/67215

Link has the most up to date roster. You can probably piece together the back line (two Greeks or one Greek and Samake at CB, Alarcon and Antonoglou outside), but there are so many central midfielders and a handful of players listed as wide midfielders (Faria, Sukunda) that will be tough to place before seeing them play. Hundal likely to start as CF? 

2 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Can someone with more knowledge put together a list of our best starting 11 and backups? I feel like I’m lost with how much turnover there’s been.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/valour-fc/kader/verein/67215

Link has the most up to date roster. You can probably piece together the back line (two Greeks or one Greek and Samake at CB, Alarcon and Antonoglou outside), but there are so many central midfielders and a handful of players listed as wide midfielders (Faria, Sukunda) that will be tough to place before seeing them play. Hundal likely to start as CF? 

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-off-season-roster-tracker-whos-in-and-whos-out-for-2024#VAL

The CanPL sight lists Sukunda as a defender so perhaps Valour intends to use him as a RB along with Alarcon.

Here is my shot at a lineup:
-Starters in the first list, backups in the 2nd.
-Padded the roster with USports draft picks, Ohin, Kevin Dos Santos (rumour moving within CanPL, so why not Valour) and a required U21 player (which still leaves it one U21 slot short)

- Viscosi -
Alarcón - Samaké - Mourdoukoutas - Antonoglou
          Faria - Campbell - Sanchez
      Williams - Hundal - Sheppard??

- Murasiranwa -
Sunkunda - Chantzopoulos - Facchineri?? - Haynes
          Ohin??? - Polisi - Verhoeven
      U21 TBD - Swibel - Dos Santos???

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

There haven't been a lot of positive signals this offseason, but am I correct in saying this will be their first ever pre-seaosn trip outside Canada? Maybe Wade Miller is loosening the pursestrings just a little?

I thought the same thing when he mentioned Portugal preseason. Let's hope ownership is realizing positive results on the pitch helps with attendance, not the other way around. 

13 hours ago, K Edgar said:

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-off-season-roster-tracker-whos-in-and-whos-out-for-2024#VAL

The CanPL sight lists Sukunda as a defender so perhaps Valour intends to use him as a RB along with Alarcon.

- Viscosi -
Alarcón - Samaké - Mourdoukoutas - Antonoglou
          Faria - Campbell - Sanchez
      Williams - Hundal - Sheppard??

- Murasiranwa -
Sunkunda - Chantzopoulos - Facchineri?? - Haynes
          Ohin??? - Polisi - Verhoeven
      U21 TBD - Swibel - Dos Santos???

Sadly, Dos Santos chose Polisi ahead of Sanchez (bench) and Campbell (bench or shifted out of position to RB) at nearly every opportunity last year, so I'd be surprised to see him benched in favour of other options in 2024. I also think Chantzopoulos will start the bulk of matches at CB, though I have little to base that on, other than his age and experience.

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Sadly, Dos Santos chose Polisi ahead of Sanchez (bench) and Campbell (bench or shifted out of position to RB) at nearly every opportunity last year, so I'd be surprised to see him benched in favour of other options in 2024. I also think Chantzopoulos will start the bulk of matches at CB, though I have little to base that on, other than his age and experience.

I placed Chantzopoulos and Sunkunda on the bench purely based upon the fact they played the Finland's 2nd tier last year.  Only Campbell, Antonoglou and Hundal (and Williams?) are a lock as starters, imho (and PDS opinion may be very different).  Training camp should be a very competitive environment with so many starting positions to be determined.

4 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

I would rather take a flyer on a young Canadian than go with Siaj, Ponce, Novak, or other random international players that turn out to not be able to score so I guess it’s progress?

Still feel like taking a flyer on Attardo is low hanging fruit.

I do like the attitude of "try a young player who may suck, rather than stick with a veteran player that we know to suck" but Valour have previously been in the position where their U21 minutes went to top players (Sirois, Rea, de Brienne, even Sanchez), and now may have to force a questionable player into an already questionable lineup.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:17 AM, jonovision said:

Didn't the entire league go on preseason the first year?

They all went to the Dominican Republic in April 2019.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/weve-identified-the-needs-of-this-squad-and-thats-where-our-focus-was

"Dos Santos said there are three available roster spots – the draft picks Sheppard and Facchineri don’t count yet to the roster – including an opportunity for a U-21 player." -- Valour has only 18 announced signed players which would leave 5 available spots.  Does that mean 2 they have not told us about yet?  No trialists mentioned in the article.

"After medicals and orientation sessions over the weekend Valour will be on the pitch Tuesday"

"The club will be travelling to Portugal on March 20th and over a 12-day period will train and have three matches against local opponents" -- nice!

Name that Valour player!  Left Tass M (Thanks @shorty), Sanchez (white shirt), ??? (Black), ??? (green, background), Murasiranwa (red),  Binate (green), Haynes (white, background), and lastly - going out on a limb: ? Nakye Greenidge-Duncan (U21 TFC II cast-off) ? (furthest right)

Edited by K Edgar