Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 2/2/2024 at 3:58 PM, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/these-kinds-of-players-dont-become-available-often

"Valour’s first on-field training session will go February 20th"

"Dos Santos said the club is still on the hunt for a couple of attacking pieces and has a U-21 spot yet to fill" (only 1 U21 spot?  That would imply they have an unannounced U21 signed)

"We have a bit of cap space"

One. 

One admission we have unused cap space!

Ah, ha-ha-ha!

Count Von Count - Sesame Workshop

I think Valour has done a pretty decent offseason job recruiting and revamping their roster. I still don't think they are in the upper end of the league but they should have a more competitive roster than previous seasons. Camp opens in a few weeks, would be nice to add a couple of creative players through the last few roster slots. Maybe an MLS Loan or two

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

This gives me some hope, but where will all the u-21 min come from??  

A steady diet of Juan Pablo Sanchez? (If this was taking away minutes from Polisi I'd be all for it).

But they do need to sign at least two more U21 players to meet the roster requirements, so hopefully at least one of those is quality.

On 2/4/2024 at 1:07 AM, top cheese said:

I think Valour has done a pretty decent offseason job recruiting and revamping their roster. I still don't think they are in the upper end of the league but they should have a more competitive roster than previous seasons. Camp opens in a few weeks, would be nice to add a couple of creative players through the last few roster slots. Maybe an MLS Loan or two

I'm not feeling as optimistic.

I don't think we upgraded on the players we had prior to last season.

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I'm not feeling as optimistic.

I don't think we upgraded on the players we had prior to last season.

GKs unchanged

Defense appears to be significantly strengthened from last season.

Midfield slightly weaker as I do not see a replacement of Guti's quality.

Forwards appear to be strengthened (how could it get any worse).  Still a number of positions to fill upfront but Hundal is a good start.

U21's, as mentioned above, is still a big question mark.

35 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

GKs unchanged

Defense appears to be significantly strengthened from last season.

Midfield slightly weaker as I do not see a replacement of Guti's quality.

Forwards appear to be strengthened (how could it get any worse).  Still a number of positions to fill upfront but Hundal is a good start.

U21's, as mentioned above, is still a big question mark.

To be clear, I'm comparing to the team we had BEFORE last season. I think that team (Dwyer, Akio, Levis, Sean Rea etc) is objectively way better than this team.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Good moves on the whole. Upgrade in goal but Yesli has lots of potential. Wonder if this means Ingham is moving on?

Bring in Kevin dos Santos next and things are certainly looking slightly better. 

Noah Verhoeven -- 1 goal in 100+ CanPL games.  How does that help?

I thought Yesli was pretty over rated when he was here. He sometimes let in shots that he shouldn't have. I'm not really bothered he won't be back.

As far as Noah Verhoeven? Woof. We don't need any more midfield players that contribute nothing offensively. That is our entire identity at this point.

Where are the goals coming from this year?

Are we going to sign a forward or two from the Finnish 2nd division or a guy on his 8th team from some Middle East country and then call it a day?

How can anyone look at our roster and say we'll be competitive? It's like groundhog day from last year.

Let's have a midfield of Ohin, Campbell, Sanchez, Polisi and Verhoeven making sideways and backwards passes all summer. Should be great.

Edited by Soccerpro2

36 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Noah Verhoeven -- 1 goal in 100+ CanPL games.  How does that help?

Fair. That doesnt surprise me as I always thought he had become more of a deeplying mid or DM and that he could solidify things with Polisi and free up Campbell/williams/sanchez to push up and play more free. There obviously needs to be more attacking additions and a creative 10. Not sure Sanchez is the answer. 

Phillip Dos Santos has said they are working on a couple of attacking additions last week didn't he? Kevin Dos Santos and a good quality 10 that could cover out left or upfront would be ideal.

Back to Verhoeven though...nearly 1 assist every 8 games though. Things are looking up ;):ph34r:

Geez.  Not displeased getting Verhoeven, but I wouldn't call his addition the priority right now for reasons mentioned above.  Maybe PDS really has some names on the attacking side of the game all but signed and this loan will look more logical in the full light of day.  Maybe he doesn't.  Don't know.

Clear that Yesli wanted out.  RFN.  Something went sour.   

He's a project, with potential, but I don't think CPL is a place where teams will invest 4 years to get a keeper to a real sell-on value.  Not Valour anyway.  LOL, come to think of maybe not Forge either.

Guess Darlington is #1 now.  Think I'm OK with that.

^. Guess we'll find out soon enough.  I hope we find out soon enough.  Not exactly eye-popping resumes for either man so if one or the other doesn't claim the spot fairly quickly I don't think it's going to be because we have two 1st place keepers fighting for the same job.

If Viscosi brings better than Darlington we should be in good hands.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

^. Guess we'll find out soon enough.  I hope we find out soon enough.  Not exactly eye-popping resumes for either man so if one or the other doesn't claim the spot fairly quickly I don't think it's going to be because we have two 1st place keepers fighting for the same job.

If Viscosi brings better than Darlington we should be in good hands.

He's had a very interesting career, as you said, not exactly eye-popping! Fair play to the bloke for plugging away for all these years.

Oh its a delicate balance, let Yesli go for basically nothing...he is happy-team suffers. Hopefully we get some sort of % if Ottawa sells him in a year or two.  

Dont let Henry go until you get a better deal-you are a bunch of shits and no one will want to sign with Forge in the future and Henry sits anyways.