Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

He can get them playing decent and competitive football for stretches, but eventually the run of play tilts against them. You see this especially when both teams start making substitutions and the lack of depth of the Valour squad is really exposed.

Say Valour and Pacific swapped bosses. Do you think they are essentially tied for the bottom places right now? I don't.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

He can get them playing decent and competitive football for stretches, but eventually the run of play tilts against them. You see this especially when both teams start making substitutions and the lack of depth of the Valour squad is really exposed.

Say Valour and Pacific swapped bosses. Do you think they are essentially tied for the bottom places right now? I don't.

This!! Valour lack consistency. But, is that the coach or the players?

11 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

This!! Valour lack consistency. But, is that the coach or the players?

Even when Valour are really rolling and clicking, the best they can do is play even on the pitch with their opponents. You'd think a talented but inconsistent squad what have some stretches where they are the dominant team out there. For me it's clear they're running up against the limits of their talent.

It really stands out when a guy like Noah Jensen for Forge, not even a regular, shows what he can do. If he were to sign with Valour he'd probably be one of the top 5 most talented guys ever to wear the shirt.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Even when Valour are really rolling and clicking, the best they can do is play even on the pitch with their opponents. You'd think a talented but inconsistent squad what have some stretches where they are the dominant team out there. For me it's clear they're running up against the limits of their talent.

It really stands out when a guy like Noah Jensen for Forge, not even a regular, shows what he can do. If he were to sign with Valour he'd probably be one of the top 5 most talented guys ever to wear the shirt.

I agree. There is a vast difference in the calibre of players at Valour in comparison to the rest of the league. I think they need to take a long, hard look at the squad and see who can give a good showing and not fall short (Antonoglu), find talented players to strengthen the side and take it from there.

Realistically, look for a commanding CB, a CM who can pick out a pass and a SC who can score on a regular basis.

33 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I agree. There is a vast difference in the calibre of players at Valour in comparison to the rest of the league. I think they need to take a long, hard look at the squad and see who can give a good showing and not fall short (Antonoglu), find talented players to strengthen the side and take it from there.

Realistically, look for a commanding CB, a CM who can pick out a pass and a SC who can score on a regular basis.

The other issue is the when players do perform well at Valour, they leave at their first opportunity, which makes it even harder to properly team build.

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

The other issue is the when players do perform well at Valour, they leave at their first opportunity, which makes it even harder to properly team build.

But would things be different if they could make the playoffs?

1 minute ago, Soccerpro2 said:

If they had success it would be easier to keep and recruit players. They’ve never had success so the cycle always continues.

Correct me if I am wrong but I felt Valour have signed more players this year to multi-year contracts or contracts with option years.  Perhaps it will start to break the pattern of massive annual turnover.

7 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I felt Valour have signed more players this year to multi-year contracts or contracts with option years.  Perhaps it will start to break the pattern of massive annual turnover.

They have signed a handful to multi-year contracts and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 'club option' to extend in Williams' contract. But, it is frustrating when you see teams like HFX getting Rea on a multi-year deal. Wasn't Akio's deal with Cavalry something like 3 and a half years too?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jonovision said:

A couple of good results from the other bottom feeders and all of a sudden Valour are in pole position for the wooden spoon again. Wouldn't hurt to have those two points that were stolen last week.

The next 2 games will go a long way to determining Valour's placing.  Home games vs HFX and Pacific -- 6 points would change the season outlook.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

A couple of good results from the other bottom feeders and all of a sudden Valour are in pole position for the wooden spoon again. Wouldn't hurt to have those two points that were stolen last week.

I'm good with Pacific winning. Result means the border into 5th remains unmoved.  But yeah, point stands.  The border into last place sure got closer.

Pacific, away to Wanderers, away to Ottawa, away to Valour.

Vancouver, Forge at home and away to Cavalry.

Wanderers, at home to Pacific, away to Valour, away to Ottawa.

By the end of September if Valour get the results at home they've a reasonable chance of being in 5th. 

The season ender against Cavalry might be a huge match for both teams.  For different reasons of course but important all the same.  Which, I guess, is sort of the point of the format. 

16 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Man I loved Mekideche. That loss really sucks. The fact that no one (including players developed here) want to come back is probably the most concerning part of the team. Can’t even say it’s cause we suck because HFX isn’t exactly lighting it up. 

Everyone leaves as soon as they get a chance and no one ever wants to come back. That says everything about what players think about Valour.

^ Who's on 6 goals after his latest and has sort of come to life during the end period of the season.  If he nets a couple more, and he very will could, that's as successful a signing as PDS has made. 

As it stands now between him and Swibel that's half of Valour's goal output. 

Edited by Cheeta

On 9/14/2024 at 7:40 PM, Wippersuna said:

Man I loved Mekideche. That loss really sucks. The fact that no one (including players developed here) want to come back is probably the most concerning part of the team. Can’t even say it’s cause we suck because HFX isn’t exactly lighting it up. 

For me Dyer signing for Pacific stung. No, more than stung.  Burned.  Like burned enough that you were left wondering if you should go see a doctor or something.

I have to believe Valour has had a rep around the league for years now, earned or otherwise, and it's going to take some work undoing.  Phil added to it when he screwed over Sirois (as serious a strategic mistake as he could make and one I'm sure he'd undo if he could go back in time) and ruined the potential of getting any player on loan who might be worth a damn.