Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

23 hours ago, K Edgar said:

New GK (again).  Artemenko returns

This is the sort of transfer I've wanted to see for ages. Shame it's only short term though. Out of curiosity though, if Kour is a permanent resident and going to school in Winnipeg, how can he not get international clearance?

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

if Kour is a permanent resident and going to school in Winnipeg, how can he not get international clearance?

Played in Israel u17(?)... guess that matters

Posted (edited)

Which players have impressed you (or at least not completely disgraced themselves) so far?

Of the new guys I have liked the contributions of Antonoglou and Swibel. Maybe Binate as well. All the rest have had at least as many bad moments as good ones. Tass was good yesterday, but I'm worried about his foot speed and would like to see what he can do in 90 minutes against a better opponent.  Facchineri is growing into the kind of player that can be successful at this level but he's not there yet.

The rest? Yikes.

Campbell remains consistent, despite being jerked around positionally. I liked a moment in yesterday's game, with the team celebrating the 2-1 goal on the touch line, and he came into the dogpile, pointed at the scoreboard, and reminded his teammates of how much time was left. Good leader. When he first came on the scene I was impressed with Sanchez because he rarely made a mistake, but I've come to realize that it's because he only makes safe passes so never creates anything.

Are those really the only two returning players that have played significant minutes for the team? I guess Murasiranwa as well?

A result of any kind against Calgary at the weekend and all of a sudden the season opening road schedule isn't a total nightmare.

Edited by jonovision

33 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I'd agree with Swibel and Antonoglou. I agree with your post.

Not sure why PDS didn't try to sign some attacking midfielders. We've got a glut of midfielders who don't score or asssit or create.

Antonoglou is without a doubt the best new signing
Swibel seems to create goals and that is what Valour needed the most
Ressurreição is the attacking mid that you were asking for, until Williams returns it is all Valour has
Like what I have seen from Facchineri, Binate and at times Faria
Alarcón and Mourdoukoutas playing time has been limited by injuries but seem to have potential
Hundal has done little so far, but at last seemed motivated in the HFX game
Verhoeven, Sukunda, HansonChantzopoulos can join Haynes on the bench and stay there

My concern is that, with his recent performances, Antonoglu is looking like the sort of player who wont be here next season. Even when we have looked poor, he has been a standout. And, for that reason, bigger teams will be circling before long.

7 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

My concern is that, with his recent performances, Antonoglu is looking like the sort of player who wont be here next season. Even when we have looked poor, he has been a standout. And, for that reason, bigger teams will be circling before long.

If by "bigger teams" you mean a GTA CPL club, I can see it. I'd be surprised with a move to a bigger league, at least after this season.

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If by "bigger teams" you mean a GTA CPL club, I can see it. I'd be surprised with a move to a bigger league, at least after this season.

Maybe GTA CPL clubs or back to a MLS Next club.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

A little early in the season to discount the possibility

Posted (edited)

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-cavalry-fc-vs-valour-fc-2024-match-27

"Kian Williams and Marcello Polisi are the only players still ruled out as Phil Dos Santos said he felt like he was “in heaven” with his squad the healthiest it’s been all season. Dos Santos suggested there may even be a possibility that Raphael Ohin gets minutes off the bench"

This would imply 20 healthy players meaning 3 (correction... only 2) healthy players not making the line-up.  Hanson and Haynes are the obvious choices (both have seen very limited game time), third likely Sukunda?

Once Ohin is fully healthy I would like to see Verhoeven game time drop significantly, and drop further down the depth chart with Polisi's return.

Edited by K Edgar

I'm not such a glutton for punishment to go back and find it, but I'm sure I posted that 4 or 5 points from this 7 game road stretch would be decent enough and about the best the team could hope for.

The team as of the home opener will be healthier than they've been to this point with a whack of home dates upcoming. Will they make some hay, and will there be anyone around to watch?

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Judging from the highlights, the new turf definitely makes a difference to the quality of the soccer.

Tough to know how it will play in regular conditions, but it handled about an inch of rain in two hours pretty well.

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-atletico-ottawa-2024-match-34

Says that Sanchez is unlikely to be available, while Chantzopoulos is likely to return following the injury suffered last week.

What I'd really like to know is the status of Polisi and Williams. And Samake. Not saying I'd like all of them back in the lineup (just one for me, personally) but it would be good to have an idea of timelines for a return.

On 6/8/2024 at 10:32 PM, jonovision said:

Says that Sanchez is unlikely to be available

Saw Sanchez walking in the concourse after the game.  Was not moving quickly, really favouring one leg.  May be out for a while. :(

The report did not mention Campbell.

Edited by K Edgar