Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

43 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Whatever town PDS resided in during his years in Portugal??  Would be interested to know the 3 local teams they will play during their visit.  Most likely a mix of 2nd/3rd tier?

I'd love to see them play one or two of those clubs who sign the occasional Canadian. Seems like a no brainer.

7 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Whatever town PDS resided in during his years in Portugal??  Would be interested to know the 3 local teams they will play during their visit.  Most likely a mix of 2nd/3rd tier?

I like to know where teams find training facilities, how they plan these things.

Also thinking that if you are in the north the weather is not that great, better than Winnipeg but still cooler and rainy.

Is Atlético going back to the mountains north of Madrid?

In depth Valour FC article.

https://northerntribune.ca/valour-fc-2024-season-phillip-dos-santos-ambitious-interview/

"the club’s first head of performance has already been hired and will come in from outside of the organization. Dos Santos says that’s an area he had earmarked for improvement, to make sure the club minimizes its issues with injuries, setbacks..."

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

In depth Valour FC article.

https://northerntribune.ca/valour-fc-2024-season-phillip-dos-santos-ambitious-interview/

"the club’s first head of performance has already been hired and will come in from outside of the organization. Dos Santos says that’s an area he had earmarked for improvement, to make sure the club minimizes its issues with injuries, setbacks..."

Good article. 

Ha!  Either Phil loves the sound of his own voice that much or he knows the importance of media exposure well enough that he makes himself available for extended interviews at every opportunity.  Regardless, good job.

So...10th March and still no kit launch.  Or did I miss something?  We're five weeks out from the season opener and I'm thinking they need to be getting on with it.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Good article. 

Ha!  Either Phil loves the sound of his own voice that much or he knows the importance of media exposure well enough that he makes himself available for extended interviews at every opportunity.  Regardless, good job.

So...10th March and still no kit launch.  Or did I miss something?  We're five weeks out from the season opener and I'm thinking they need to be getting on with it.

I wonder if the OneSoccer situation has affected that timeline since they have been the title sponsor to date.

^ Probably some but not too much I expect.  This divorce was a long time coming so I'd assume Plan B was pretty well developed.

I'd guess the league wants them released one at a time, give each side it moment in the sun but you don't want to use up the preseason sale period either.

57 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ Probably some but not too much I expect.  This divorce was a long time coming so I'd assume Plan B was pretty well developed.

I'd guess the league wants them released one at a time, give each side it moment in the sun but you don't want to use up the preseason sale period either.

Still almost 3 months until the Valour home opener, so if you're right I can understand why they'd have Valour unveil theirs last.

The CSB-Mediapro spat happened at pretty much the worst possible timing for advancing Halifax's stadium plans so don't think it's a safe assumption that it was following a long anticipated script and that they already had an alternative shirt sponsor for the Valour figured out should that prove to be necessary.

21 hours ago, jonovision said:

I wonder if the OneSoccer situation has affected that timeline since they have been the title sponsor to date.

I am still hoping that we get Princess Auto as the shirt sponsor.  Or screw it, why not Richardson/Tundra...get some of these rich bastards to step up to the plate.  

59 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I am still hoping that we get Princess Auto as the shirt sponsor.  Or screw it, why not Richardson/Tundra...get some of these rich bastards to step up to the plate.  

Even something part of the Princess Auto family tree like Trans Canada Brewing or Empty Cup Coffee. Although CPL teams do tend to favour national brands on their jerseys so probably not.

I would love to see a Princess Auto jersey though. 

It's different now because so many shirt sponsors are betting firms, but it used to be that most small- and mid-sized Dutch and Belgian teams had regional construction and home renovation companies in basic block letters on their shirt. That's the vibe I like. 

TCB's pilsner, Portager is outstanding.  My go-to the last couple of years.  Everybody loves the Blue Berry, don't know, makes me gag.

Trans Canada Brewing would be a fine marquee.  I don't think CONCACAF have restrictions on breweries, I don't think.  So why not?

6 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

TCB's pilsner, Portager is outstanding.  My go-to the last couple of years.  Everybody loves the Blue Berry, don't know, makes me gag.

Trans Canada Brewing would be a fine marquee.  I don't think CONCACAF have restrictions on breweries, I don't think.  So why not?

They definitely do not, as Carlsberg already is a shirt sponsor in CPL.

The blueberry beer is the main thing that keeps me from buying the TCB variety packs. Not a fan.

Speaking of not being a fan of.  Carlsberg 0.  As in zero.

Funny thing, that is, in my opinion, exactly the fair market price for both the liquid in that bottle and the entertainment value of the team married to it.   Yuck.

Thirsty business all this typing.

1st off -- nothing wrong with TCB Blueberry Ale (but I think I am in a minority here)

2024 CanPL rules will allow team to have up to 3 USports players who do not count against the 23 player roster limit.  With recent articles about USports draftees Facchineri (https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/i-dont-think-its-any-secret-we-all-have-something-to-prove-on-this-team) and Owen Sheppard (https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/hes-someone-thats-going-to-help-the-team-hes-someone-with-phenomenal-character-and-mentality) and assuming Ed Tait has some inside info and is not wasting his time writing about players about to be cut this would allow Valour to have a 25 player roster.  Additionally Valour retained the USports rights to Tisseur and Pianelli, no idea if either are at the training camp (Valour doesn't say and although training session are open to the public I have haven't heard of anyone going) -- so if Valour choose they have an option of a 3rd goalie.  Next question would be does the Valour budget allow for these additional players?

Finally, anyone know who player #33 is pictured in today's tweet? (or the unnumbered player on the left?)

Got to use that capspace somehow I guess.

It is however a welcome and positive move. Valour are still at least 2/3 quality player additions away from being competitive in thus league though imo.

Some better over all balance but Dos Santos has his hands full avoiding the wooden spoon.

Valour lost 2 of maybe 3 or 4 players that can really influence a game (MdB, Gutierrez). Maybe some of the signings will be able to replace that impact, but I doubt it.

On the other hand, there are seemingly fewer absolute black holes, players who can be counted on to be a net negative every game. Guys like Cela, Pianelli, Siaj, Novak, etc. have all been let go, and replaced with guys with a history of at least decent performance. I think the floor of competence of this 2024 team is higher than last year, but it will take one or two key signings or some real wizardry from Dos Santos to get in the playoff hunt.

I do think they will avoid the wooden spoon as I don't really believe in what some teams, especially the BC duo, are doing, but my optimistic predictions for Valour have rarely been proven correct.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Valour lost 2 of maybe 3 or 4 players that can really influence a game (MdB, Gutierrez). Maybe some of the signings will be able to replace that impact, but I doubt it.

On the other hand, there are seemingly fewer absolute black holes, players who can be counted on to be a net negative every game. Guys like Cela, Pianelli, Siaj, Novak, etc. have all been let go, and replaced with guys with a history of at least decent performance. I think the floor of competence of this 2024 team is higher than last year, but it will take one or two key signings or some real wizardry from Dos Santos to get in the playoff hunt.

I do think they will avoid the wooden spoon as I don't really believe in what some teams, especially the BC duo, are doing, but my optimistic predictions for Valour have rarely been proven correct.

Vancouver looks to be improved from last season. I know we lost Manny and Amer, and we didn't close out the season very strongly, but I'm surprised by all the doubt over Pacific. If Moore can be even a little bit stronger than baby giraffe Ongaro or cement foot Daniels I think we've addressed our main problems from last season. I'm not convinced Valour have

On 3/4/2024 at 6:36 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone know where in Portugal they're going to?

Melgaco, Portugal and the Centro De Estágios De Melgaco.  No info provided about opponents or additional team members/trialists.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/we-feel-like-the-guys-have-a-very-good-foundation-that-has-been-established-in-the-last-few-weeks-and-were-ready-for-that-next-phase-now