CNL: Jamaica vs Canada - Saturday, November 18th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

If we start Vitoria and Miller as part of the back 3 I have visions of the  2017 GC quarter final game vs Jamaica when we started Vitoria & Jakovic and got burned for 2 goals due to a lack of pace.  2 long passes over the top and it was game over. James subbed in for Vitoria and nullified the threat but we ended up losing 2-1.

And at the end of the day, this is why I worry about a guy like ZMG being groomed as a potential CB replacement.  Same profile - and same limitations.  It is also why I keep harping on about the idea of moving Bombito out of defence.  We play in a region with a lot of athleticism.  Hell, Jamaica is a world class speed factory and we see that impact their style of play.  They will always be one of those spot 3-6 teams that we are competing against in CONCACAF so we need to rethink how we approach defence or we will always be susceptible to that sort of simplistic strategy. 

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I don't get the Choiniere omission at all since guys like Oso and Piette were called. Nothing against Cav, but I would have liked one less CF for a young winger. 

My read on it is that Choniere is one for the near future, same goes for Ahmed and Paton. Biello chose to bring 1 guy from this category of player and chose Ali, who has played more recently than Choiniere and is more versitle (and athletic) than Paton. Ahmed also missed out versus Japan, so in the spirit of spreading the caps around it's good to see him chosen this time.

I also don't think Choinere had any stand out moments againt Japan and Paton was more involved than he was, but I don't think it hurt his stock. I just think we have (rightly) chosen not to bring all 3 of these guys for this particular camp and unfortunately for him and Paton they are the odd ones out this time. All 3 now have at least a cap to their name, so this is progress. 

8 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I don't get the Choiniere omission at all since guys like Oso and Piette were called. Nothing against Cav, but I would have liked one less CF for a young winger. 

This. 

We are going with experience in Oso, Piette, MAK and Cav. Really hope we can camp poutine in January to get people like Choiniere, Saliba, Bombito, Loturi, Paton and Nelson included. 

2 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Love the roster. God I hope LDF plays, really seems like he’s ready to commit being called up to such an important window where he could be tied. 

He has to be committed. Allowing an uncommitted 18 year old on the roster at this stage would be the ultimate cuck move. 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

This. 

We are going with experience in Oso, Piette, MAK and Cav. Really hope we can camp poutine in January to get people like Choiniere, Saliba, Bombito, Loturi, Paton and Nelson included. 

Yeah, we really do need a January camp to get all of these guys together at once. I would add ZBG, Shaff and JRR to that group and would extend the invite out to Farsi and Abzi too. Kerr maybe sneaks into that. Would also like to see some of the veteran fringe guys like Waterman, MacNaughton, Edwards, but that's for another thread I guess....

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is Jebbison injured? Totally forgot about him. Figure with our strikers all being out of form and his England youth career wrapping up, it would’ve been a great time to call him up.

Hasn't played with the blades at all (to my knowlege) so probably still unavailable. Even if he was healthy I think he would have missed out to Cav (just like Ugbo did). I really hope we see Jebbison in 2024. Maybe Fig Rolls committing will spur him on.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is Jebbison injured? Totally forgot about him. Figure with our strikers all being out of form and his England youth career wrapping up, it would’ve been a great time to call him up.

According to a Blades fan account he is returning to training this week.  They say it was a freak injury in pre-season; other places said illness. 

All with a grain of salt. 

Jamaica have called 21 players for their friendly this Saturday including 3 new faces:

https://radiojamaicanewsonline.com/sports/three-first-time-overseas-invitees-in-latest-reggae-boyz-squad

Lamonth Rochester: https://www.chicagofirefc.com/two/news/chicago-fire-fc-ii-signs-defender-lamonth-rochester

Jon Bell:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bell

Kyle Ducan:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Duncan_(soccer)

Kyle Ducan is the only one of the three new guys that has a serious CV.

Edit:

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Jamaica have called 21 players for their friendly this Saturday including 3 new faces:

https://radiojamaicanewsonline.com/sports/three-first-time-overseas-invitees-in-latest-reggae-boyz-squad

Lamonth Rochester: https://www.chicagofirefc.com/two/news/chicago-fire-fc-ii-signs-defender-lamonth-rochester

Jon Bell:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bell

Kyle Ducan:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Duncan_(soccer)

Kyle Ducan is the only one of the three new guys that has a serious CV.

Duncan is a nice get for them. Not a game changer, but should be a solid depth piece that will seriously challenge Brown for the right back spot (and I guess Lembikisa who may just be the starter now).

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

CM - ali offers much more creativity than choiniere so I like this. Oso is our only proper CAM and has experience so I like that. Choinierre didnt look great against japan. I would rather have an in form MAK as a guy on the bench than choinierre. Neither would see the field much so experience is valued more but either way, its a toss up between the two for a bench spot.

I assume Choiniere is hurt, cause it makes no sense.

Kaye is fair since he's still playing.  Ahmed has earned it.  Picking Osorio is just Biello doing Biello things, trying not to rock the boat and keeping the status quo.

You didn't like the 29 minutes Choiniere had vs Japan, so he doesn't get another shot, yet Osorio earns another and limitless mulligans after an awful 18 months?  They have different styles, yet both play similar spots and positions.  If you benched everyone who had a bad 30 minutes, you wouldn't find 11 guys to start.  Osorio's "experience" doesn't count for much when he just isn't running or contributing out there.  CAM or not, he has shown nothing recently to earn a spot.  Ali, Hoilett, Nelson, and even a withdrawn David should all be ahead of him if we're looking for some offensive spark.

9 minutes ago, costarg said:

Kaye is fair since he's still playing.  Ahmed has earned it.  Picking Osorio is just Biello doing Biello things, trying not to rock the boat and keeping the status quo.

You didn't like the 29 minutes Choiniere had vs Japan, so he doesn't get another shot, yet Osorio earns another and limitless mulligans after an awful 18 months?  They have different styles, yet both play similar spots and positions.  If you benched everyone who had a bad 30 minutes, you wouldn't find 11 guys to start.  Osorio's "experience" doesn't count for much when he just isn't running or contributing out there.  CAM or not, he has shown nothing recently to earn a spot.  Ali, Hoilett, Nelson, and even a withdrawn David should all be ahead of him if we're looking for some offensive spark.

youre extrapolating too much and getting blinded by your bias. Oso and choiniere are not positionally comparative for me. 

Choiniere and MAK (and even ali) were competing for a bench spot. I said for a bench role, its a toss up. with choiniere injured it makes sense and theres honestly not a point to debate on since hes unavailable. i like choiniere though but dont think his skillset so far is undroppable. 

As for oso, we have ali, david, and hoilett on the squad already so again, no point debating their selections. If its nelson or oso for cam, Im going with oso. Nelson hasnt played cam in so long. To drop one of your leaders for an inexpereinced player out of position would be bold, could ruin group dynamics and imbalance the formation. Its a big risk without a huge payoff. 

23 minutes ago, costarg said:

Admittedly Oso hasn't been in form and Choniere had a career year, including an All star nod, but clearly there is a fine line between picking players and picking people.

We saw a more extreme case with Henry during qualifying. Not exactly the same, because (in theory) there was no viable alternative for a right-footed CB (Waterman emerged toward the end, MacNaughton was still in CPL), but it was the same in the sense that he was wasn't dropped because of his experience in the squad and his personality in the squad.

I think Oso today has more to give than Doneil in 2021, so it isn't as egregious to pick him as it was to pick Henry back then, even with the lack of an alternative.

What I would say is that I want these minutes to go to HOILETT because Osorio is not in form.

At the end of the day, Choniere (I don't believe) has the guile we need. Osorio has the guile, but has regressed until he proves otherwise. So if we are talking about two players at the tail end of the roster (Choinere and Osorio), I am fine with going Oso just because of the vibes going into massive games, where maybe he plays 30 minutes over two games.

The key for me is that Oso has to take a backseat to Junior. If it's the other way around and Oso puts in a poor showing, your fist clenching over Oso's inclusion will be justified. 

Edit - On Ahmed, I would think he's there to push Oso and Junior. If these guys are not sharp, Ali is ready to snatch the minutes.

Yes that could be have been Choniere, but as I said upthread, Biello chose Ali this time over Choniere (and Paton)...so be it. 

Edited by Obinna