CNL: Jamaica vs Canada - Saturday, November 18th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

44 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Weather conditions and a looking-to-be full strength and highly motivated opponent, combined with the lack of form of our forwards will make this a tough match tomorrow evening.  What's the current betting line?

If you're worried about a full strengh and highly motivated opponent overwhelming Canada, poor weather conditions should act as an equalizer.

Edited by jonovision

13 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Weather conditions and a looking-to-be full strength and highly motivated opponent, combined with the lack of form of our forwards will make this a tough match tomorrow evening.  What's the current betting line?

Jamaica 2.84  Draw 3.19  Canada 2.46 on tonybet.

Was looking at the over/under odds but I don't know.  Gut tells me it's going to be a tedius watch, head tells me the wheels could fall off so yeah, don't know.  

I think it will be a tough match but one we can, and really need in some ways, to win.

I compare the attitude around the team now to what it was during the last WCQ.  Now things are tentative - then we would have expected a win (whether we actually got it or not).

Ultimately this one particular game is not crucial but we do need to win and do well in the Nations League to prove that our qualifying wasn't a one time thing.  We need to show to CONCACAF - and more importantly to ourselves - that we are now a permanent member of the top three in CONCACAF and not back to being just one of the pack behind Mexico and the US.

It is match day folks and I am excited for a meaningful MNT contest, I will be watching this one closely tonight! We have seen it in the past where Jamaica brings in some talented EPL players and has a rather impressive looking squad on paper but they never seem to fulfil their potential as a team for whatever reason, it may be different this time! They showed signs during the Gold Cup that this team was on their way up in Concacaf and I believe this roster is even better, they look solid all over the pitch and this first leg will be a huge challenge for us! I think @Kingston is correct when he mentions the attitude change in the programs, when we went there in WCQ many were disappointed with the draw, personally I will be thrilled with that result tonight! My main concern paying away is their quality forwards running at our back line, that could be real problematic for us, if you look at the lack of goals at club level form our strikers and what will possibly be a young midfield this match and tie has potential to get away from us tonight! In saying all that we do have quality and can be dangerous on the counter, the lack of goal scoring doesn't overly concern me, they will have a different shirt on and things can change but this will potentially a daunting task, I look forward to it!

I think we need to start vitoria in this one. The field/rain conditions are going to make it difficult for jamaica to connect on through balls in behind our backline so vitorias lack of speed is somewhat countered. It's likely that the ball will be in the air quite a bit so again vitoria is the solution. Finally it will be an extremely scrappy game so having vitoria on usually calms our backline much more than any other central cb. 

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think we need to start vitoria in this one. The field/rain conditions are going to make it difficult for jamaica to connect on through balls in behind our backline so vitorias lack of speed is somewhat countered. It's likely that the ball will be in the air quite a bit so again vitoria is the solution. Finally it will be an extremely scrappy game so having vitoria on usually calms our backline much more than any other central cb. 

Do we want someone as slow at Vitoria on that kind of pitch though? Assuming we use a back 3, I think we’re probably better off with Cornelius, Miller, and AJ, and worst case Vitoria subs on at half for whoever is playing worst.

Might be as good a game as ever for Laryea to start too. Feel like there’s very few things that would be more annoying than playing on a waterlogged pitch with Richie Laryea sticking on you like glue. 

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Height isn't so much a concern.  Their front trio are all around Johnston's height, so not too worried about the aerial battle. 

The biggest gap in the two teams is their fwds vs our D.  The wet field should benefit us more than them for a change and should help slow them down a bit, so Vitoria could be a good option.  Like you say, he's definitely the most composed of our bunch.

Still don't like countering their front 3 with a back 3.  Each of their front 3 is faster than our backline, the mud will help, but we're still giving up too much there.  Obvious weak link, if they've done their homework we can expect lots of dump and chase towards Miller/Vitoria if Biello makes that mistake.

16 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

This will be a tough match, overall we are better upfront but I think they have the depth in midfield and defensively at CB it gets interesting. They are better between the sticks.

It would be nice if our strikers were in better form

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It would be nice if our strikers were in better form

Most of our core guys are going into this with very little confidence in their club form. Not just our strikers but also guys like Oso, Adegkube, Laryea, etc. That and the more recent MNT results, and I'm bracing myself a bit.

Hopefully Biello remembers the shit show that Honduras was and has them playing route 1 instead of building out on a soccer pitch that fish could survive on.  Bunker, hoof, and hopefully snag one.  A scoreless draw would definitely be a good result tonight and I am pretty positive that we can get a win at home.