CNL: Jamaica vs Canada - Saturday, November 18th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

Lol at anyone thinking LDF will start.  Did you see the selection Biello made in the friendly?  Do you really think he will start an 18 year old with limited professional minutes?  Biello doesn’t appear to have an ounce of gamble in him.  Status quo starting 11 and subs, hope to win and get the full time job.

Edited by trc2014

35 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Lol at anyone thinking LDF will start.  Did you see the selection Biello made in the friendly?  Do you really think he will start an 18 year old with limited professional minutes?  Biello doesn’t appear to have an ounce of gamble in him.  Status quo starting 11 and subs, hope to win and get the full time job.

I don't think LDF will start(due to the importance of the match as well as lack of experience), but like everyone on here I want to see him get minutes/caps. In what scenario will we be able to sub him on?

And if I don't want Biello as permanent coach, how should I hope these games go? Status quo/non gambling got us years of futility, Herdman's out of the box attracted players and got us to a WC(where we produced very little).

53 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I usually am on the same page with Oli, but don’t get his overwhelming confidence in this one.  There is a real chance Canada gets played off the pitch.  This isn’t Suriname all over again.

I dunno, I was negative at first and have grown more confident in recent days. Sure, Jamaica have quality in some places, but they also have holes, especially in midfield. 

Last night I re-watched most of our last match down there. Wasn't as bad as I remembered. Davies wasn't at his best yet he still caused problems. I think we'll always have a chance with a player like that on the field.

I think it will help psychologically that most of these guys have been down there already to play in that environment. Same can't be said for them in the return leg. 

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I dunno, I was negative at first and have grown more confident in recent days. Sure, Jamaica have quality in some places, but they also have holes, especially in midfield. 

Last night I re-watched most of our last match down there. Wasn't as bad as I remembered. Davies wasn't at his best yet he still caused problems. I think we'll always have a chance with a player like that on the field.

I think it will help psychologically that most of these guys have been down there already to play in that environment. Same can't be said for them in the return leg. 

Was Reid the only PL guy playing in that game?  It’s literally not the same team.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

No glaring omissions. Will be a great test for both teams.

amari bell somehow is included when he hasn't made the bench for Lutron.

Jamal Lowe is an omission for me, especially since he's been consistently performing at Swansea.

Where as Williams is a surprise to be included. 

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Strong Jamaica roster but nothing we shouldn’t be able to handle if we play to our potential. Based on what I’ve seen recently their two best players are Gray and Reid. Ironically, I think the one area we could have some joy is in midfield. 

Reid has always done well for Jamaica, but recently I would say Bailey and Antonio have performed better. 

If we play a 352, I could see the "joy" in the midfield if we overload. But they could match our midfield, as Staq is the only superior player. A collection of Lattiboudeaire, Johnson, and Russell could stabilize their middle. 

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Reid has always done well for Jamaica, but recently I would say Bailey and Antonio have performed better. 

If we play a 352, I could see the "joy" in the midfield if we overload. But they could match our midfield, as Staq is the only superior player. A collection of Lattiboudeaire, Johnson, and Russell could stabilize their middle. 

Really? Antonio hasn’t scored a goal for Jamaica in almost 2 years and Bailey is/was notoriously bad for Jamaica. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

amari bell somehow is included when he hasn't made the bench for Lutron.

Jamal Lowe is an omission for me, especially since he's been consistently performing at Swansea.

Where as Williams is a surprise to be included. 

I keep on forgetting about this guy so he flew under my radar. When was the last time he was even called up for Jamaica? 

On 11/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, BearcatSA said:

Then he was healthy enough in the same way that Adekugbe was while also missing time due to injury.

Im not sure thats 100% true. Its very common that guys who are coming back from injury will stay back with their clubs to regain form and fitness. 

I do agree with you though and that Im puzzled by his omission at the time. I am just filling in the blanks based on nothing. 

On 11/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, costarg said:

Here is where we differ:

You seem to believe that we will have friendlies and 7 day camps at some point to try new things out, and you feel we can win with the status quo and show up at Copa that way and we will compete.

I don't believe we will have friendlies at any point in 2024 to actually try something new.  If we want to try something new it will have to be now, before we play the serious opposition (Ideally it would have been 12 months ago).  I believe our system is so bad and not suited to our squad, that we can walk out onto the field in a new system with the right players and do just as well and still win against Jamaica.  This way we'll show up at Copa and actually know what works.

This seems blinded by bias. Theres so many arguments for a 3-5-2 and so much evidence that it worked. I personally like a back 4  but its wild to think that a system that won WCQ and had guys tons of time spent on it, would produce a worse result than trying a new system with new and likely inferior players.  The only arguments against the 3-5-2 is that we lost against teams that are better than us and then we act like it was the formations fault we lose to croatia.... Do you think that 3atb held us back in WCQ. We almost went undefeated but do you think we had the quality to win every game 5-0 and its the 3atb that held us back? I just dont understand what your standard for success is? 

As for how preperations can be done. We get the job done against jamaica. Then we have every single camp until the copa to introduce new players and formations from every window moving forward if we want. This can be done slowly. Cornelius and vitoria splitting time (likely having vitoria next to LDF to blood LDF with some experience), guys like saliba or corbeanu keep developing and get call ups as earned. Their time in the camp is likely as bench players and they gain experience until they push to start. Just like herdman did, players can study the new system while away at their clubs. 

My point is that its not a NOW OR NEVER kind of situation. It's also extremely rare for teams to make massive player changes and system changes all at once. If a team does make these massive player changes, its the big nations who have an entirely new generation of top end talent. We dont have that luxury. We would be replacing players with equal or inferior guys in almost every example. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Im not sure thats 100% true. Its very common that guys who are coming back from injury will stay back with their clubs to regain form and fitness. 

Which is also similar to why I didn't see the reason for Hoillet to come to the Japan friendly but rather get himself more in sync with his club side prepping for the playoffs and then have him called in for this series.  As it was, he was a nonfactor for the Caps in a limited sub role, though I suppose his staying at home would have made little difference, anyways.

If a player's club place is tenuous, discussions between NT manager and player may take that into account for one  friendly half way across the world and the IDL.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

JRR over Brym is plain wrong.

If the club is in season you have to advise them a minimum period in advance. Even during an international window. If players get called in last minute for big nations, it is often because they are iplaying for clubs in the national league, or they have the release deal already in their contracts.

Then if you are Europe you lose a day travelling, both ways.

Who do you think we have in regular contact with Sparta Rotterdam, we are barebones.

I don’t know why this is what I think when I see that but I hope this means that we only start 1 striker and have Larin Available off the bench. Lineup I hope to see would be a 4-3-3 (keeping it realistic)
Borjan

Johnston Miller Cornelius Davies

Kone Eustaquio Osorio

Buchanan David Millar

Subs:Ahmed, Laryea, LDF, Larin, Piette