CNL: Jamaica vs Canada - Saturday, November 18th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Which makes me wonder, once again, why they wouldn't bring in Cavallini for the Japan match.

Perhaps he was injured. He wasnt in the squad for a couple of games right before the internationak break. (although he returned in the final game before the break)

Edited by Bigandy

On 11/8/2023 at 10:22 AM, RS said:

Is he not injured?

He wasn't in the squad for Montreal's last match of the season and that was only a couple of weeks ago.

Mathieu's Choiniere's omission is shocking. 

Alexandre Gangué-Ruzic had a tweet that specifically stated that Biello didn't choose Choiniere "due to #CFMTL missing out on the playoffs, saying that he felt that lack of match rhythm was a worry"

If he was injured, Biello would have said that.  He didn't.

The talk about Cavallini being a different option for us up top is true, his style is different. But if it was on this basis, I would've preferred Theo Bair who has been banging, winning headers,  and holding up the ball at Motherwell. He's more in form that Lucas imo but I understand the status quo.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I'm not even talking about a back 3. Im talking about having one exhibition game to prepare for qualifying matches. Its absurd to not only get rid of the regular players but also try a new formation. Do you honestly believe trying to implement something completely new with new players is the answer. 

Just look at jamaica. They have great players but many on here argue they underperform due to a lack of chemistry.  I just dont see how its possible to expect a team to function better without proper preparations and arguably inferior players vs using the exact system that won WCQ. 

Here is where we differ:

You seem to believe that we will have friendlies and 7 day camps at some point to try new things out, and you feel we can win with the status quo and show up at Copa that way and we will compete.

I don't believe we will have friendlies at any point in 2024 to actually try something new.  If we want to try something new it will have to be now, before we play the serious opposition (Ideally it would have been 12 months ago).  I believe our system is so bad and not suited to our squad, that we can walk out onto the field in a new system with the right players and do just as well and still win against Jamaica.  This way we'll show up at Copa and actually know what works.

12 hours ago, Shway said:

The talk about Cavallini being a different option for us up top is true, his style is different. But if it was on this basis, I would've preferred Theo Bair who has been banging, winning headers,  and holding up the ball at Motherwell. He's more in form that Lucas imo but I understand the status quo.

I am happy Bair is developing this part of his game, but he doesn't have the experience and we need that to get through. I am all for Bair instead of Cavallini in the Copa America if he keeps it up and we want that sort of profile.

13 hours ago, Shway said:

I haven’t seen him this season so that’s nice to hear. He was always soft and that rarely changes. 

On 11/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, Bigandy said:

Perhaps he was injured. He wasnt in the squad for a couple of games right before the internationak break. (although he returned in the final game before the break)

Then he was healthy enough in the same way that Adekugbe was while also missing time due to injury.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Not too upset over the Cavallini inclusion.

It's not like we left off someone that is tearing it up.

JRR barely plays at Columbus. 

Ugbo was an unused sub today and hasn't scored in forever. 

Brym doesn't play much either. 

Bair has 2 goals in 13 games.

Not sure if I'm missing anyone else.

It'd be interesting to look at total goals scored by Canadians since the European seasons started, say 2nd week of August, three months.

Interesting in the sense of depressing.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It'd be interesting to look at total goals scored by Canadians since the European seasons started, say 2nd week of August, three months.

Interesting in the sense of depressing.

Larin and David not doing much too is a big issue

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

Larin and David not doing much too is a big issue

All this arguing over Cavallini or Brym when our two highest level strikers have done nothing in months. It's odd to demand so much of the subs, as if the filter was higher, while the starters just waltz into their spots and no one says a word, with no concern for their form.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All this arguing over Cavallini or Brym when our two highest level strikers have done nothing in months. It's odd to demand so much of the subs, as if the filter was higher, while the starters just waltz into their spots and no one says a word, with no concern for their form.

You need to say this louder. 

Same goes for Osorio.  Hasn't broken a sweat in 18 months, not defending, not creating anything, he's literally avoiding the ball.  Yet Choniere and Ahmed coming off great years, are looking amazing, and we're all like "I didn't like what I saw in those 25'.  

This automatic starters bullshit cause of "experience" is getting old and is ridiculously amateur.  Even Argen-freakin-tina benches guys in slumps for young quasi-unproven players, yet we're like "ya, but it's Vitoria".

Edited by costarg

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me there still isn’t any real debate about not starting David and Larin - despite the fact that they are both playing like shit.   You can argue about the other spots on the squad because there is some legitimate debate.  But the fact that the 3rd choice striker is up for debate (among a number of pretty underwhelming options) shows just how far anyone is from displacing JD or CL - even when underperforming.  That doesn’t change the fact that they are both sources of serious concern going into a pair of must-win games.   It’s just that it is kind of moot.  

Agreed - 1) I think the gap between David / Larin and Cav/Ugbo/Brym is pretty big and 2) the games are too important, so the feeling is we can't afford to risk taking a different approach.

That being said, the perception from the outside looking in is a whole lot of complacency across the roster - nothing much changes regardless of performance.  The starters start, the bench are the bench and the rest are the rest (injuries aside).

20 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Definitely disconcerting to have those two off key right now.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Then David did not score this weekend, and Larin didn't play. 

I know strikers need a bit of luck, let's hope they unleash vs. Jamaica. Cyle having roots there might want to light it up in Kingston.

Strikers are streaky by nature.  I have always said for the many years that my favourite striker is one who is scoring or at least making mportant contributions for others to score or at least not put pressure on your defence by being a non factor or conceding possession too easily.  

Hopefully they snap out of their funks this week.

I wonder how much, if any, our “stars” get to influence the roster selection?  If I’m David, Davies, Eustaquio, I want the guys on the field who I gel with best.  If they want Osorio, then bring in Osorio.  
And I may be in the minority, but I’m a fan of Cavallini as a sub who can offer something that a Brym or Ugbo can’t in a CONCACAF battle. 
My only real concern is our defense… namely Vitoria and Miller.  No way can they handle Jamaica’s speed and attacking quality .  I think Cornelius and LDF need to start.  

Edited by TOcanadafan