CNL: Jamaica vs Canada - Saturday, November 18th - 10:30am EST / 7:30am Pacific - Kingston, Jamaica

Man I hope LdF sees the field.  Would be a great "get" for the program.

Davies listed as a defender.  Will be interesting to see where he plays.

A little sad to see Nelson left out, but against big athletic defenders they may prefer an option like throwing Cav on for the last 15 minutes and letting him smash around to try and create some space.  Can't say the Jayden would have been firmly above anyone chose.

Man, what does Choiniere have to do to get selected.  I know Kaye has picked up his game but you could make an argument that Choiniere has consistently played better than both him and Oso over the course of the full season.  

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Love seeing Ahmed back and obviously LDF is huge. Got to think he sees minutes this window.

Pretty neat we are getting to nearly another teams worth of players that have been unlucky to be left off the roster.

If LDF is coming back at this point seems like he is intent on playing for Canada.  Fingers crossed!!

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Fig Roles!!!  This sure seems and smells like commitment!

Davies listed as a defender might be telling, since Tajon is listed as an attacker (or can also be an attempt to throw Jamaica off the trail).

Thrilled to see Ahmed make the list, I hope he plays.

Kaye & Osorio ahead of Choiniere is shocking, for anyone who has actually watched him play this year. 

St-Clair ahead of Sirois is kinda puzzling, but inline with Biello's lack of creativity and ideas.

18 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

If LDF is coming back at this point seems like he is intent on playing for Canada.  Fingers crossed!!

That is my hope as well.  Coming into camp (possibly with the caveat that he wouldn't step on the field) is a good way to "try us on".  Coming back a second time, in quick succession, for official games feels very different.  I could be wrong but I don't think we would give him a spot on this roster if he wasn't a legitimate option either as a starter or off the bench.

Whether or not we ultimately see him is another matter entirely.  I think Biello has shown he isn't interested in any large scale changes, and starting a kid in the heart of defence in crucial qualifiers would be the sort of bold move that I am not really anticipating. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man, what does Choiniere have to do to get selected.  I know Kaye has picked up his game but you could make an argument that Choiniere has consistently played better than both him and Oso over the course of the full season.  

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Kaye & Osorio ahead of Choiniere is shocking, for anyone who has actually watched him play this year. 

Is he not injured?

He wasn't in the squad for Montreal's last match of the season and that was only a couple of weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is my hope as well.  Coming into camp (possibly with the caveat that he wouldn't step on the field) is a good way to "try us on".  Coming back a second time, in quick succession, for official games feels very different.  I could be wrong don't think we would give him a spot on this roster if he wasn't a legitimate option either as a starter or off the bench.

Whether or now we ultimately see him is another matter entirely.  I think Biello has shown he isn't interesting in any large scale changes, and starting a kid in the heart of defence in crucial qualifiers would be the sort of bold move that I am not really anticipating. 

The point is to do the job, get ahead, and be able to sub him in to bolster a defence for 10 minutes late in Kingston Town.

All the opportunities for the kids and more fringe players open up the moment you start winning in Jamaica and come back to TO with a lead. Then you can ensure the classification and by m. 60 at home make 5 subs to get those newer faces more minutes. 

It really is a case of success breeding success and affording greater opportunities. But the veterans have to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Was Koleosho only called into the Iran friendly camp, or did he get called twice? Trying to temper how excited I am to see him play.

He was called into the Austria camp in late September of last year. He was on the bench vs. Uruguay. But since he had an nagging ankle injury, which he did not really solve until months later, there was not going to be a good chance of him playing.

This roster is what I expected. 

The guys who got selected are or were playing up untill a few days ago. 

Kay is playing well and contributing in the playoffs. Borjan is playing every week and is in the conference league. So better competition then MLS. By the time we play these games the Montreal guys will have not played in a month. So them not here makes sense. I do question Piet. Think he is more of a glue guy. 

These are pivotal games we needs vets. For me the other player you can make an argument for is Osorio. He has not played well or in a while. I would have wanted to see Corbinu.

As for Vitoria, he is old. But, out of our CB' he is the one that plays at that level. He is starting for sure. Untill we have more CB playing every week at top European league's our D is not changing. Fig rolls might change that soon. Lets hope it does. 

1 minute ago, Vasi said:

This roster is what I expected. 

The guys who got selected are or were playing up untill a few days ago. 

Kay is playing well and contributing in the playoffs. Borjan is playing every week and is in the conference league. So better competition then MLS. By the time we play these games the Montreal guys will have not played in a month. So them not here makes sense. I do question Piet. Think he is more of a glue guy. 

These are pivotal games we needs vets. For me the other player you can make an argument for is Osorio. He has not played well or in a while. I would have wanted to see Corbinu.

As for Vitoria, he is old. But, out of our CB' he is the one that plays at that level. He is starting for sure. Untill we have more CB playing every week at top European league's our D is not changing. Fig rolls might change that soon. Lets hope it does. 

Agree with most of this, with the exception of hoping we start Cornelius over Vitoria (even if it’s just for the first leg).

This is a fantastic roster imo. I think that picking the best 

Strikers - if we start david and larin and need a sub, we have millar as a speedy counter attack tactic or cav who can hold up play and/or be a physical presence for crosses. Brym and ugbo dont really offer much different off the bench like cav and millar can

CM - ali offers much more creativity than choiniere so I like this. Oso is our only proper CAM and has experience so I like that. Choinierre didnt look great against japan. I would rather have an in form MAK as a guy on the bench than choinierre. Neither would see the field much so experience is valued more but either way, its a toss up between the two for a bench spot.

Cb/WB- simple picks here. Dropping bombito is the right choice. I am extremely curious to see if LDF starts. I think our best back 3 is LDF vitoria AJ. I think we see miller for LDF starting though with cornelius starting one of the 2 legs. 

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Also, crazy the difference in comments on here Vs twitter. Here, everyone is super excited for LDF, don’t think anyone is gonna be too disappointed in any im missions, however, on twitter everyone wants to drop Vitoria, Borjan, Piette, call up Sirois, Choiniere, replace Borjan with McGill, etc. 

people on Twitter are wanting to replace guys like Piette and Kaye with wingers, etc 

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Also, crazy the difference in comments on here Vs twitter. Here, everyone is super excited for LDF, don’t think anyone is gonna be too disappointed in any im missions, however, on twitter everyone wants to drop Vitoria, Borjan, Piette, call up Sirois, Choiniere, replace Borjan with McGill, etc. 

I don't use twitter but I see the comments in the youtube onesoccer live chat and it is reading similar. No love for the vets, basically. I think fan comments here are more sophisticated as we are the hardcores (otherwise why post here) and understand the team dynamics best since we are most invested/obsessed with this team.

I'll say this - there is a time for expanding the squad with young players and a time for getting the job done. Now is the time to get the job done. Vitoria, Osorio, Cavallini, MAK, Piette...the guys the wider fanbase don't want to see...most of these guys are here for the team spirit and vibes and will see limited minutes. We won't lose this because Cavallini and MAK play 15 minutes each across two matches. It will come down to David, Davies, Buchanan, Eustaqio etc. executing and I am fine with the other guys in the background chipping in and playing their role. 

Once we get the job done, I want to see a lot of these guys transitioned. Even for the NL semi (if we get there) I want to see Choniere (or Paton) for Oso (if form dictates), or McGraw for Vitoria, etc. 

If we start Vitoria and Miller as part of the back 3 I have visions of the  2017 GC quarter final game vs Jamaica when we started Vitoria & Jakovic and got burned for 2 goals due to a lack of pace.  2 long passes over the top and it was game over. James subbed in for Vitoria and nullified the threat but we ended up losing 2-1.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I don't use twitter but I see the comments in the youtube onesoccer live chat and it is reading similar. No love for the vets, basically. I think fan comments here are more sophisticated as we are the hardcores (otherwise why post here) and understand the team dynamics best since we are most invested/obsessed with this team.

I'll say this - there is a time for expanding the squad with young players and a time for getting the job done. Now is the time to get the job done. Vitoria, Osorio, Cavallini, MAK, Piette...the guys the wider fanbase don't want to see...most of these guys are here for the team spirit and vibes and will see limited minutes. We won't lose this because Cavallini and MAK play 15 minutes each across two matches. It will come down to David, Davies, Buchanan, Eustaqio etc. executing and I am fine with the other guys in the background chipping in and playing their role. 

Once we get the job done, I want to see a lot of these guys transitioned. Even for the NL semi (if we get there) I want to see Choniere (or Paton) for Oso (if form dictates), or McGraw for Vitoria, etc. 

Friendlies are when you experiment with different players/formations/call ups.  Adding the odd player like LDF and Ahmed to an established roster is the way to go in the Jamaica games.

Hopefully the CSA begins to realize that there are options available for selection and that you need to continually push to bring in new talent.  And to do that in different settings, not qualification process.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A lot of pundits also treat this like Football Manager.  Expanding the roster, getting guys who have 1 or 2 great games, just doesn’t make sense sometime when you are actually managing a team, dynamics, cost, etc.  I find alot of time common sense goes out the window.