MLS 2023 Playoffs Match Thread

narduch

14 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Am I the only one who finds this 3 game series concept ridiculous?

I am okay with it, but I do not like going to penalty kicks immediately after 90.  Penalty kicks should be deemed as a necessary evil and not something that should take place at the smallest opportunity.

I know this idea is far fetched, but if you don't want have total goals, have total points - 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw.  So if after 3 matched the teams are tied at 4 points (or 3 points if all matches end in draws) then have penalty kicks as the tie breaker.

I like the guy from AFTN but on his podcast he was talking like throwing things at the refs was fine and the fans were justified.

i watched the entire game intently and i really dont get this perspective that he was so terrible. If you create 1 scoring chance and didn't have a guy sent off in a must win game you really don't get the grievance here.  The pk was 50/50 ok and apparently Richie was clearly fouled? So basically you sound like every coach who lost due to a pk call. I really dont get the freak

The local news did a news report and was backed up by a local goofball reporter that acted like the ref blatantly robbed the Whitecaps and just glossed over Vanni's behavior and the fact over 2 game the Whitecaps were obviously not the better team. Very strange. Seems like no balance in holding people accountable for their behavior 

Edited by SpursFlu

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's quite something to think about how Columbus paid quite the sum for Gressel and they're just not using him.

He'll probably still end up on the east coast, but it does make me wonder if he'd reconsider a return to Vancouver, where he'd really found a good role.

It's because he's not staying there, the Columbus trade was just to get out of Vancouver.  He will sign as a Free Agent in another east coast team.  Probably a link up with Tata.

Edited by Footyeh

45 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

It's because he's not staying there, the Columbus trade was just to get out of Vancouver.  He will sign as a Free Agent in another east coast team.  Probably a link up with Tata.

Oh, I know why Vancouver sold him.  I'm just curious as to why Columbus bought him, since they're not using him.

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Oh, I know why Vancouver sold him.  I'm just curious as to why Columbus bought him, since they're not using him.

But they were at first.

Farsi was benched for weeks after the trade.

It's only been the past 2 games Farsi was favoured

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

It looks to me like the manager is not afraid of making the kind of tough calls about what is best for his team in the moment and is not concerned about other factors like a player's contract or reputation.  How to win is all that matters at this point.

They are now in the conference final.  

14 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

It looks to me like the manager is not afraid of making the kind of tough calls about what is best for his team in the moment and is not concerned about other factors like a player's contract or reputation.  How to win is all that matters at this point.

They are now in the conference final.  

Absolutely, as a manager should. My thought had only been that I suspect it's not what he expected when he arrived there. And just like Laryea seems to have been a better fit in Toronto than he was in Vancouver, maybe Gressel will pause and think about how well he fit in Vancouver after the Columbus experience.

If I was betting, I'd still bet on him signing on the east coast. Just that I'm wondering if he might now consider a Vancouver return.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Absolutely, as a manager should. My thought had only been that I suspect it's not what he expected when he arrived there. And just like Laryea seems to have been a better fit in Toronto than he was in Vancouver, maybe Gressel will pause and think about how well he fit in Vancouver after the Columbus experience.

If I was betting, I'd still bet on him signing on the east coast. Just that I'm wondering if he might now consider a Vancouver return.

You never know, but I think Schuster has moved on and will be looking elsewhere.

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Eastern final is set.

Cincinnati v Columbus. 

Cincinnati advanced 1-0 on a controversial goal that looked offside

I think in Serie A this year they are using the whole body having to be offside rather than any part of the body , I may be mistaken here, but if this is true I think that’s what every league should go with in terms of offside .

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I think in Serie A this year they are using the whole body having to be offside rather than any part of the body , I may be mistaken here, but if this is true I think that’s what every league should go with in terms of offside .

Not yet. They were talking about it. I'm not sure if it will happen next season.

14 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If they did that, they'd be going against the Laws of the Game, as they are written. They'd be putting their teams at a disadvantage in European competition and doing their players a disservice, particularly the ones who represent their countries. Essentially, Serie A players would have to learn to play football under two different sets of rules, and be able to switch between two different mindsets, at both attacking and defending, when the move between competitions.

The LotG consider an attacker to be offside if any part of their body with which they can legally score a goal is ahead of the second-last defender at the moment when the ball is played by their teammate. 

13 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

As a Whitecaps fan I didn't really have a strong cheering interest for either Seattle or LAFC.

All I really wanted was an entertaining soccer game.

And I got one.

Crepeau was spectacular with some great saves early in the 1st half when Seattle was dominating.