MLS 2023 Playoffs Match Thread

narduch

On 11/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, Watchmen said:

Hockey doesn't really fit in a baseball or football stadium. The angles are off and it's not a great viewing experience, and you can see that every year at any "Winter Classic" where it's the novelty of it rather than the viewing experience that draws people in.

But if you want other examples of "bad stadiums" you can check out when the Islanders moved to Brooklyn and a significant number of seats couldn't even see 1/3rd of the ice. And that was intended to be their permanent home when they moved.

NYCFC has always planned to build their own stadium. I just think everyone involved in it (both the club and MLS) badly underestimated how long it would take to get that done.

I see they are putting it out on Willet's Point, near the Mets Stadium I think. And ACS is building it through their American affiliate Turner, ACS is owned by Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez.

Moving the team there does displace it somewhat, they are no longer a team close to Manhattan, they become a borough team. Though maybe given property values and development opportunities, and the team's demographic, it won't affect them.

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Thanks. That is going to mean in theory that teams with two draws and a loss and a negative goal differential over three matches will advance over a team with a win and two draws and a positive goal differential. Which is not how I would have drawn up the rules if I was going to three legs. 

The better team will win these types of series in most cases , you can try playing for a tie in one and succeed but having to do it in two games and then trying to play for a tie again away from home in the decider is much more difficult. 

24 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

The better team will win these types of series in most cases , you can try playing for a tie in one and succeed but having to do it in two games and then trying to play for a tie again away from home in the decider is much more difficult. 

I think that the plan/hope is that the higher ranked regular season teams go through in this salary cap league because it makes the regular season relevant (unless it was the 2023 Inter Miami team sneaking in as the lowest seed, then Garber and co. wanted them to go all the way in a contrived, "cinderella" narrative).  St. Louis gets a chance at redemption, though on the road. However, Seattle is now in a one-off at home, and anything can happen.