Match Thread: October 14, 2023 - Playoffs - Quarterfinal (3v4) - HFX Wanderers v Pacific

narduch

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pacific spent at least 5 of the scheduled 6 minutes on the ground.  Good on the ref for not letting that BS affect the game.  

You realize Canada got to the World Cup doing that in 4-5 qualifiers rather shamelessly and the rival never got full compensation, thankfully?

Someone above bewildered that a keeper could get cramps, obviously never saw both Borjan and Maxime siezing up horribly all the way to the equator.

Ps I'm cheating, watching rugby this eve so really don't know.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You realize Canada got to the World Cup doing that in 4-5 qualifiers rather shamelessly and the rival never got full compensation, thankfully?

Someone above bewildered that a keeper could get cramps, obviously never saw both Borjan and Maxime siezing up horribly all the way to the equator.

I called that out at the time as well. It's gross.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ps I'm cheating, watching rugby this eve so really don't know.

I get it.  When time wasting works for my team it is good - or at least ignored.  But as a neutral or a fan of the disadvantaged team it sucks. 

Overall I would far rather this ref’s approach be applied consistently.  As much as it isn’t tradition, I want them to play an actual 90 minutes of footy - not 90 minutes minus whatever time they manage to waste.   

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What was Doniel Henry's issue at the end? Gazdov winding up the crowd maybe? He looks like a pub team player now in terms of hos physique and was burned really badly for pace by Aparicio at one point. Not sure there's another season left in the tank for him at this level.

This is exactly how I felt watching him too lol. Made me feel better about myself.

He'll need to care, and have a really strong preseason to stretch his career. Because he looks 40 and not 30.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was perversely funny I thought. I think it was helped by water breaks and those COVID breaks, the additional subs, which saw the game broken up a lot. So we got away with it.

They did it at the same point in the first half a few games in a row. Exact same pattern when Crepeau was in instead of Borjan. It was comical for how blatant it was.

Tough way to go out.  Lost track of crossbars and goal line clearances that kept us off the scoresheet.  It is what it is, good luck Pacific.

The dust up at the end was the result of Dada-Luke turning to the crowd and cupping his hands around his dick and mocking the crowd... can't take anything away for the win but it was pretty poor sportsmanship on his part... I get it but it was a bit much... Nimick and Fernandez took exception and that's where things really went sideways.

Still a great season for the Wanderers, something to build on for next year.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Tough way to go out.  Lost track of crossbars and goal line clearances that kept us off the scoresheet.  It is what it is, good luck Pacific.

The dust up at the end was the result of Dada-Luke turning to the crowd and cupping his hands around his dick and mocking the crowd... can't take anything away for the win but it was pretty poor sportsmanship on his part... I get it but it was a bit much... Nimick and Fernandez took exception and that's where things really went sideways.

Still a great season for the Wanderers, something to build on for next year.

I'm just assuming Dada Luke and Gadzov heard a few things repeatedly over the entire 2nd half that disturbed them. But it's no excuse, seriously, can't be gross and can't provoke the crowd and, since I criticized it earlier this year in an incident at Starlight, I'll criticize it here. 

Let's just say not having VAR gives the CPL a lot more swag.

Just got back from the game and a few thoughts.

1) Was a well played game. I thought the Wanderers should have equalized but they didn't quite get it done. Kudos to Pacific for playing just well enough to get through. Congrats to Wanderers for a much better season.

2) There was a 'playoff atmosphere at the Grounds today. It was electric - never seen it like that before even the main large stand on their feet for stretches at a time. I know there are some traditionalists who think the champ shouldn't be decided by 'playoffs' however the way people jammed (literally) into the grounds today and the atmosphere Im not sure that argument hold weight.

3 The showboating and taunting of Halifax fans after the match was pretty poor. I mean Pacific barely has any of their own fans back in BC half empty for their playoff game so them may be amped up to play in a stadium with alot of people. However that was incredibly poor sportsmanship at best - and downright dangerous at worst. 

Anyway good luck to everyone left - I think it worked out the best 4 teams made it to the final 4.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Gotta feel bad for the HFX fans. To all of you and others who turned out every game and sold out the stadium, I applaud all of you. You guys are setting a great example for other CPL teams. Keep the faith. 

On a positive note… with the Women’s National Team game coming up it feels like the stadium proposal will get the green light… lots of momentum.

At least One Soccer has the recording of this match up right away so you can watch it if you missed it as opposed to the many hours of having to wait for and CAN-JPN game replay (for those of us without Fubo)

Regardless of the result, it looks good for the future for HFX so congratulations going forward and I look forward to seeing a fun (and truly sold out) venue for the CWNT match.  You've earned it!

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What was Doniel Henry's issue at the end? Gazdov winding up the crowd maybe? He looks like a pub team player now in terms of hos physique and was burned really badly for pace by Aparicio at one point. Not sure there's another season left in the tank for him at this level.

Was at the game...

After Pacific scored several players were having a go at the crowd for the rest of the game (several did the hand cup to the ear when coming to take throws, Didic mock waved his hands in the air, etc.) All in good fun. Dada-Luke in particular was jawing with the crowd all game.

After the final whistle Dada-Luke did the WWE D-X crotch chop toward the crowd 2 or 3 times. Nimick came over to get in his face. Toussaint charged in then a shirtless Doneil Henry came barreling. A bit of a mess after that.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm just assuming Dada Luke and Gadzov heard a few things repeatedly over the entire 2nd half that disturbed them.

Given the comments I'm seeing about Dada Luke online, I can only imagine what some of these Halifax folk were saying from the stands. You could see it building throughout the game. With Manneh and Gazdov too. James mentioned Gazdov's maturity with handling the crowd after the match

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Given the comments I'm seeing about Dada Luke online, I can only imagine what some of these Halifax folk were saying from the stands. You could see it building throughout the game. With Manneh and Gazdov too. James mentioned Gazdov's maturity with handling the crowd after the match

Unlike those comments crossed a certain line we can all imagine, Dada-Luke's response was childish and unncessary. Point to the scoreboard and walk off. If he was indeed assigned a red it is well-earned.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Unlike those comments crossed a certain line we can all imagine, Dada-Luke's response was childish and unncessary. Point to the scoreboard and walk off. If he was indeed assigned a red it is well-earned.

Was he red-carded?

I think players have to learn to bear it. If they were in competitive environments from an early age, with fans pressuring even when they were kids, they would be used to it and by this age it'd be past them. And even if not. We gave keepers especially hell from the Southside in Swangard, there were extremely off-colour chants, insulting to the core at time, exacerbated by the fact that the main stand was far away and then a couple hundred serious supporters were right behind you as a visiting keeper. You got it constantly. The majority of those keepers would be extremely courteous and thick-skinned, they might laugh, even recall some applauding the fans after games in very good sportsmanship. Rarely did they lose it.

I admire that. 

In Spain, for example, even the relatively tame finger to the lips to silence a home crowd is considered a real provocation and we fans remember these things for decades: still remember when Raul did that at Camp Nou, fans still remember it from almost 25 years ago, and Raul was amongst the most respectful players out there. In Barça's most famous wins at the Bernabeu (the 2-6 for example), almost always celebrations were directed to our 3-400 hundred fans in the highest tier in the corner, solely focus on them. Directing anything more than the mildest of gestures to opposing fans is a provocation, and worse, it could cause a reaction in a stand that could hurt fans if someone decides to rush or react, because we are in circumstances where crowd and player safety has to be a priority.

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yes, I felt Halifax were unlucky but at the same time they should have done more to put a clearly tired Pacific team to the sword.

Still, a great turnaround season for the Wanderers.

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's simultaneously hilarious and idiotic. Good on the Halifax players for standing up for their crowd.