Match Thread: October 14, 2023 - Playoffs - Quarterfinal (3v4) - HFX Wanderers v Pacific

narduch

47 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Would this be the longest distance a team had to travel to play another team in the same league in the world? There are no Russian Premier League teams east of the Urals, and that’s the one place I could think might have farther distances. 

A-League in Australia?

I am not a betting man, and I apologize for spitballing here and not being in the loop, but I am gonna guess that Pacific parts ways with Merriman after this match if it's a loss for them.  Such a poor second half of the season and it looks like a side right now that is weaker than the sum of its individual parts.

Travel time notwithstanding, it's a long flight and you arrive 10 hours, with time change, after you've left.

The only day for Pacific to train properly was Thursday, if they left yesterday, or Friday in Halifax. Then they play an early game. Real rest time between game end Wednesday and today's start is about 60 hours.

Also remember York stayed in BC after their VFC match and Pacific flew back from Calgary.

They'll have to solve that for next year.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

So just looked it up Halifax to London UK flight time 6 hours , Vancouver to Halifax 5 hours and 45 minutes . I’m assuming no direct flight from Victoria so they must fly out of Vancouver I’m thinking ? Just shows you how incredibly large this country is lol . Moreover, what’s the drive time to Vancouver airport from Victoria ? Therefore, quite a journey for Pacific , anyways looking forward to a great game . Playoffs may not be the  best way to crown a true champion but they are definitely exciting .

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

So just looked it up Halifax to London UK flight time 6 hours , Vancouver to Halifax 5 hours and 45 minutes . I’m assuming no direct flight from Victoria so they must fly out of Vancouver I’m thinking ? Just shows you how incredibly large this country is lol . Moreover, what’s the drive time to Vancouver airport from Victoria ? Therefore, quite a journey for Pacific , anyways looking forward to a great game . Playoffs may not be the  best way to crown a true champion but they are definitely exciting .

They would more likely fly out of Victoria to Vancouver and then to Halifax. 

14 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

They'd fly out of Victoria and then probably change in YVR or YYC. Note the Pacific stadium is in the extreme other end of Greater Victoria from the airport. So even more travel time.

To answer @SoccMan to drive to Vancouver from Victoria you'd need to leave 4 hours before a flight considering you have to catch a 95 minute ferry in between.

I suspect they reserved a WestJet charter for either of the 4-5th match winners, as both teams were in the same boat with the HFX fixture.

It's quite a screw up, frankly, @masster described it well on another thread. The match could have been scheduled for tomorrow. They rescheduled last Sunday's games to coincide, they can do it on short notice all the time. But not here. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It's like 3.5 hours from Langford if you hit the traffic and ferries right. Much longer by public transit. 

According to the preview article they flew to Toronto first, then to Halifax.

The deck definitely looks stacked against Pacific for this one.  An early lead for Halifax could prove insurmountable.  As the game wears on the fatigue could set in for Pacific.

The conditions are pretty cool, the kind of weather that gets you running and keeps you running.  Looking forward to a raucous atmosphere at the Wanderers Grounds, going to be fun regardless of the result.