Friendly: Japan vs Canada - Friday, October 13th - 6:35am Eastern / 3:35am Pacific - Niigata, Japan

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

Davies marked himself off the game ditto this , a southamerican coach would play him in center midfield and on the right midfield,  so he can either shoot or run.   He's been pretty ordinary today almost an amateur, lads 

On the Japanese they got some good results and as they are as a nation they wanna win the whole damn thing in 2026,  if that happens I will never watch football again.  Japan winning the world cup of football is a freaking oxímoron 

Really?  I hope they win in 2026.  Attractive football, passionate supporters.  Respectful people.  Been to Japan many times and gone to J-League matches.  Lots of fun - better than MLS, in my opinion.

12 hours ago, costarg said:

And that's a good thing.  Biello certainly isn't as articulate as John, but do you know what he is?  An experienced footballer with 81 goals to his name who also coached a certain Didier freakin Drogba.

Do you think JD could sit down with Herdman and take anything he says about scoring seriously?  Can you even imagine Herdman explaining a run to JD?  Can you imagine the eye rolls even with a pro and nice guy like Jonathan? 

Perhaps the lower rung guys who need a confidence and moral boost still enjoyed the talks and mind games, but time for talking is over.  Herdman took the team as far as he could, the curse is lifted, CANMNT is in a better place and Herdman is a big part of that.  We need a soccer coach now.

And Biello isn't it.

I dont pin this loss on Biello.

The attempted clearances from Piette and Cornelius were dreadful and resulted in a goal one minute in.

Our team is weak right now. In addition, there's really been no new blood bursting on the scene for our squad. We're tired, very very thin depth wise and and just not very good right now.

Japan winning the World Cup would be massive for the sport. Even as some countries rise and others fall, there are only a very small number of actual World Cup contenders, and for the most part, it’s been the same teams over the last century. A new winner would be great, especially one like Japan that has just gotten steadily better over the years. Not to mention, it’s not like Japan got this massive boost via a transcendant generational player or some insane multi billion dollar investment in their league, they’ve just gotten really good.

If it’s not Canada winning the World Cup, I hope to see Japan or even Morocco take it home.

2 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I dont pin this loss on Biello.

The attempted clearances from Piette and Cornelius were dreadful and resulted in a goal one minute in.

Our team is weak right now. In addition, there's really been no new blood bursting on the scene for our squad. We're tired, very very thin depth wise and and just not very good right now.

This is really why I want to see players like Nelson and Corbeanu more. They are nowhere close to being elite yet, but out of everyone in the pool they seem to have the best chance to take that leap. 5 and 7 caps respectively with 2 goals each - there's something to build on there, yet it seems like neither can break into the team. Corbeanu I kind of get because of the competition out wide but Nelson I think you can play in a midfield 3 or even a front 2. Instead we invest in players like Paton with much lower ceilings. I think he was decent but I don't think he's going to be a starter let alone an elite player. He'll be a depth player. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This is really why I want to see players like Nelson and Corbeanu more. They are nowhere close to being elite yet, but out of everyone in the pool they seem to have the best chance to take that leap. 5 and 7 caps respectively with 2 goals each - there's something to build on there, yet it seems like neither can break into the team. Corbeanu I kind of get because of the competition out wide but Nelson I think you can play in a midfield 3 or even a front 2. Instead we invest in players like Paton with much lower ceilings. I think he was decent but I don't think he's going to be a starter let alone an elite player. He'll be a depth player. 

Agree with most of this. Only thing is there really was no excuse to leave Corbeanu out -- especially with Tajon not being there.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Two points.

1) This was a Biello-coached team. Trust me, I had enough of him when he was in charge of the Impact.

2) I hope all the Herdman detractors are happy. Herdman may not be an elite coach but he was the best we could afford and a hell of a coach.

Wait, are you implying this team would have done better under Herdman?  Nothing in the past 18 months would suggest that.  This is exactly the level they've been playing since qualifying for the WC.  

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

Agree with most of this. Only thing is there really was no excuse to leave Corbeanu out -- especially with Tajon not being there.

I would buy that. Could have been called instead of Brym. I wonder if Biello was already decided on a back 3 and didn't fancy Theo as a wingback. He played there with Sheffield Wednesday but that's a long time ago and he's never done it for Canada.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Leaving them out was a surprise to me.  Why CSA keeps trotting out players who we already know what they are and are not going to be the answer to any question.

If players like Brym/Piette/Junior are in the squad come November, that's not a good sign.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would buy that. Could have been called instead of Brym. I wonder if Biello was already decided on a back 3 and didn't fancy Theo as a wingback. He played there with Sheffield Wednesday but that's a long time ago and he's never done it for Canada.

Didn't employ a wing-heavy formation, so that could be it. 

My take on the game. No all doom and gloom imho Biello an easy scapegoat. A few mental errors (haven’t played together in 4 months…) 

Against a very very talented Japan side. Just looking through their roster it’s no surprise they are were they are atm. That being said we conceded early but thought we bounced back well and forced an error leading to a pen which with the way jd has been really feel bad for him having it saved. 
felt we did well (again against a very good side)until the freak own goal… the 3rd goal a mistake which killed us and the 4th goal was class(what a pass) 

I thought in the 2nd half we actually held our own. Had some really good moments and scored a well deserved goal.
I’m not sure what people think we are going to do against literally the same in form team in World football. The beat Turkey and Germany…last window didn’t they!?  
these are the games we have been begging for against good top opponents and this will make us a better team if we can keep getting them.. these types of games…

bring on November…

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Leaving them out was a surprise to me.  Why CSA keeps trotting out players who we already know what they are and are not going to be the answer to any question.

If players like Brym/Piette/Junior are in the squad come November, that's not a good sign.

Funny enough Junior had a good game. Right now I would start him or possibly Ahmed in the midfield 3. I didn't get to see enough of Choniere to pencil him in here. Osorio cannot really dribble out of trouble like Hoilett can. I really like what I saw from him out there. Seemed to settle the team down with his composure.

My take on the game. No all doom and gloom imho Biello an easy scapegoat. A few mental errors (haven’t played together in 4 months…) 

Against a very very talented Japan side. Just looking through their roster it’s no surprise they are were they are atm. That being said we conceded early but thought we bounced back well and forced an error leading to a pen which with the way jd has been really feel bad for him having it saved. 
felt we did well (again against a very good side)until the freak own goal… the 3rd goal a mistake which killed us and the 4th goal was class(what a pass) 

I thought in the 2nd half we actually held our own. Had some really good moments and scored a well deserved goal.
I’m not sure what people think we are going to do against literally the same in form team in World football. The beat Turkey and Germany…last window didn’t they!?  
these are the games we have been begging for against good top opponents and this will make us a better team if we can keep getting them.. these types of games…

bring on November…

10 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Now I wonder if Herdman hadn't bought the players flights for this match before resigning.  Only way to explain how the lineup and formation is the exact same under Biello.

20 minutes ago, costarg said:

Wait, are you implying this team would have done better under Herdman?  Nothing in the past 18 months would suggest that.  This is exactly the level they've been playing since qualifying for the WC.  

Score.

5 minutes ago, spitfire said:

bring on November…

There were good spells for sure, and the game may not have been so lopsided if David converted. But I also think Japan missed some chances and kind of took the foot off the gas at times. I'm not sure if this was their best lineup, either. 

Anyway, whatever the case, there is work to do. We looked very rusty in the first half, and the errors really are inexcusable at this level. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Funny enough Junior had a good game. Right now I would start him or possibly Ahmed in the midfield 3. I didn't get to see enough of Choniere to pencil him in here. Osorio cannot really dribble out of trouble like Hoilett can. I really like what I saw from him out there. Seemed to settle the team down with his composure.

Which is important to be able to come in and do that.  But the "torch" needs to passed along, someone else needs to fill that position going forward.  Younger talent needs to be developed into its roles going forward.

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Nelson is a name I haven’t heard people mention during this whole process- he looked very good during the GC and he’s been pretty good in Norway too. Like you said, not quite there yet, but I think creative wingers like Nelson, Corbeanu, maybe getting Liam Millar involved earlier, I think we’re missing some of that. Not sure if these guys are far along enough to help in the way we need, but other than Davies, we didn’t really have anyone on the pitch with any sort of offensive creativity. Kone has some of it, but clearly wasn’t there today.

A few comments in response to the game and some posts:

1. Biello is a new "head" coach but not new to the program. Been around for 4+ yrs with this squad. What's fair to say is that his assistants are new, with the exception of Caldwell.

2. Playing Japan was good for the competition level, but are we going to learn and get better as a result? Are we going to change how we play in NL in Nov? Did we improve after WCQ and WC22 after playing 3 world class teams?  We were flat vs Panama and the US in NL. Yes, good teams win even when they play poorly and we did that vs Panama, but if the WC didn't prepare us for a NL away final vs the US, nothing will. 

3. Club form is crucial. Players cant just switch it on for Canada and right now very few players on this squad are in form with their clubs.

4. We continue to roll out the same lineup/formation and expect a different outcome.  There has to be changes and they need to happen in our next game.

5. If there's concern about dropping some of the vets, isn't that just a continuation of the "brotherhood" or what some felt was entitlement? 

Borjan - 4 He made most of the saves he should and was left out to dry and the goals. His distribution isnt great so he drops from 5 to 4

Johnston - 4 Poor game from him. He wasnt really connecting passes between lines and looked slower and more fatigued than in many other CMNT games. 

Cornelius - 5 horrible start. He started to play better individually but he didnt provide any leadership or calmness to the backline. He doesnt look like a ball playing CB. 

Miller - 5 He seemed to handle his 1 v1s well, he usually provides some line breaking passes but didnt do that today. didnt offer anything going forward. 

Davies 6- poor body language from the start. Great attacking ability. a bit lackluster in defense even though he tracked back well.

Laryea 4.5 - didnt contribute anything offensively, was decent in 1v1s

Kone 4- invisible. the standard needs to be higher for him

Piette - 5 He broke up play well and then completed 5 yard passes. He's just so limited on the ball. Many times he slowed down the play to pass 5 yards sideways or backwards. HAving said that, he kept posession fine.

Oso - 4.5 invisible. needed more from him but also didnt do much wrong

Larin - 5 decent hold up at times. Without good service, he doesnt do much for us.

David - 5 hot and cold. I was surprised to see how many turnovers he has  but he also showed he can play at this level. he just didnt have the supportin cast. 

Vitoria - 5 we know his weaknesses but the backline looked better in the second half overall. 

Hoilet - 6.5 quality player. the nerve of some people who say we need to drop him is wild. He clearly showed he deserves his spot on the roster today. 

Millar - 6.3 not lots of time to make an impression but was direct and had energy. He looked like he could create which is alot more than laryea today.

Paton -6 I was surprised how calm he was in possesion. He constantly was finding space to recieve the ball and wanted it. 

Choiniere - 5.5 disappointed he wasnt really involved. Paton outshone him imo. 

Brym - 5 showed a bit of hustle on one play. Pretty invisible