Friendly: Japan vs Canada - Friday, October 13th - 6:35am Eastern / 3:35am Pacific - Niigata, Japan

18 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's not funny, we're equally as hard on Ugbo and Cavallini.  Only difference is Cavallini has banged in a bag full of goals for us.  Yet we're still hard on him.   

What has Brym ever done for CANMNT?  Can you mention one outing that he showed us he belongs?  Guys like JRR, Shaff and Millar worked their asses off, even when they didn't get the results, they still wet their shirts, and I have yet to see that with Brym.

Im torn. A guy playing and scoring in the eredivisie deserves a roster spot on paper way more than JRR or shaf. (millar deserves his spot IMO). 

In reality brym hasnt really felt like he would ever score for CMNT. His form and club level earns him a striker call up over JRR. Shaf isnt a natural striker and is one dimensional. I would say playing him up top against japan is a bad idea. if we play 4-3-3 then id take shaf on the roster. 

46 minutes ago, costarg said:

Easy, the best LB in the world who just happens to be on our roster.  Laryea has also proven to be more than competent at LB as well.  

I feel the Adekugbe selection is a really weird one at this point in time, and I'm a huge Adekugbe fan.

Yes, Davies being used at either LWB or LB is the primary move for the 90 minutes of a match.  Laryea can do a job as a back up for this match though a natural left footer gives you a better attacking width dimension at LB.  Since he has been coming off injury, Adekugbe is another guy, like Hoillet, who might probably benefit more from being left at his club for progressive training work with his relatively new teammates.

Edited by BearcatSA

23 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Im torn. A guy playing and scoring in the eredivisie deserves a roster spot on paper way more than JRR or shaf. (millar deserves his spot IMO). 

In reality brym hasnt really felt like he would ever score for CMNT. His form and club level earns him a striker call up over JRR. Shaf isnt a natural striker and is one dimensional. I would say playing him up top against japan is a bad idea. if we play 4-3-3 then id take shaf on the roster. 

I don't hate Brym being called over JRR or JS, but Byrm has cooled off in Holland. He scored that brace but then came off the bench a bunch of times. He started the last match though and I think overall his selection is justifyable. Sucks for JRR, Ugbo and Cavallini. 

Agree that it never seems like Brym will put one in the back of the net for us. Doesn't seem to be a lethal finisher, but rather a good guy to have in the build up around goal. He has a lot of natural talent on the ball and in the opposite of Ugbo, who adds little on the ball but can certainly put it in the back of the net.

Anyways, sometimes his (Brym) touch is a little loose but playing for the likes of Sparta should help him tighten it up hopefully. That's one complaint I have of him for Canada besides his final ball/finishing. 

2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

On the internet, everyone thinks they can be a scout or GM but outside of anti-vax forums, nobody would ever think they're qualified to give a medical opinion unless they're an actual MD or epidemiologist.

Kind of begs the question of why are you even here then if you are not interested in fan discussion and think posters on this forum are unqualified to even voice an opinion? Your analogy doesn't really make sense. Whether a particular player is good enough to play for a particular team is a subjective judgement that even professional coaches will often have very different opinions about given they could have markedly different coaching philosophies. In contrast, whether a vaccine is effective is determined in a quantitative manner using the scientific method so isn't up for debate unless there was a fundamental flaw in the methodology of the study, which is highly unlikely nowadays.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't hate Brym being called over JRR or JS, but Byrm has cooled off in Holland. He scored that brace but then came off the bench a bunch of times. He started the last match though and I think overall his selection is justifyable. Sucks for JRR, Ugbo and Cavallini. 

Agree that it never seems like Brym will put one in the back of the net for us. Doesn't seem to be a lethal finisher, but rather a good guy to have in the build up around goal. He has a lot of natural talent on the ball and in the opposite of Ugbo, who adds little on the ball but can certainly put it in the back of the net.

Anyways, sometimes his (Brym) touch is a little loose but playing for the likes of Sparta should help him tighten it up hopefully. That's one complaint I have of him for Canada besides his final ball/finishing. 

Been lucky to wqtch Sparta. His ball control has definitely improved this year. Sparta has a highly paid striker and he is just bidding his time. Last game was an important one for him. They had him playing along with the striker. He played just behind him. Sparta obviously thinks highly of him.

Ugbo, Scaf have both cooled off. They both started and are now late subs. Both have been unused subs as well.

JRR hasn't played in forever. Buried on the Columbus bench

Corbeanu started off so well (like he does with every transfer) but hasn't done much lately. Grasshopper is horrible in his defense. I would of liked to see Corbeanu instead of either Piette or Paton but Biello might be playing with more midfielders

Edited by blueseeka

On 10/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, Bigandy said:

Indeed, I'm not anti-Brym or anything.  The more competition and guys scoring in top leagues we have, the better.  Anyone that is scoring/hot should be in the conversation.  My only two issues are: 1- the way Herdman used Brym 2- how "dry" Brym's shirt is after matches.  Just so casual, no extra and dare I say shows no pride.  

Just as an example, Millar is the opposite, always gives his all, even if he hasn't always produced in his few minutes, you knew he was on the field and he gave it his all the whole time.

10 hours ago, costarg said:

Indeed, I'm not anti-Brym or anything.  The more competition and guys scoring in top leagues we have, the better.  Anyone that is scoring/hot should be in the conversation.  My only two issues are: 1- the way Herdman used Brym 2- how "dry" Brym's shirt is after matches.  Just so casual, no extra and dare I say shows no pride.  

Just as an example, Millar is the opposite, always gives his all, even if he hasn't always produced in his few minutes, you knew he was on the field and he gave it his all the whole time.

I totally agree: Brym almost always gives me a bad look, Millar almost always a good one. Maybe that is unfair in terms of effectivity, but there are moments in games where you want a sub, for example, to kill it in effort.

Brym had some better moments in the Gold Cup, I have to admit.

16 hours ago, costarg said:

This is a crazy take brother.

Brym has played substantially less minutes than Millar for Canada, and his minutes have only come as a late sub. 

Shirts won't be dripping from 25 minutes of play. Especially when you compare someone who's playing 75 minutes...

I think you're caught up on how someone "looks" Vs what they actually do. Millar is very active because where he plays (LWB) requires a lot of up and down activity - more ground to cover. 

If Brym gives you the sense of no pride, I wonder how you feel about Kones demeanour ...

On the topic of Millar/Brym in a comparison to those who weren't included. I think they are in the same position that a lot of guys like Corbeanu, Ugbo, and Bair are in, where they started their season off well and have cooled off.

In Millars case it wasn't going well at Basel, got his move and played his best game on his debut 7 games ago. That's 1 game from 12 this season.

Brym plays at a higher level than all the other guys, but had his best game against league giants Feyenord 6 games ago. 

Now I wouldn't want to swap Millar out considering some of the other guys in the team, but in comparison to the ones who aren't - Ike and Theo must be thinking "why not me" looking at Millars season so far. 

You fellas are talking about JRR, and Shaff. But no one has mentioned Theo Bair who has started every game and has 1 goal, or even Kianz Froese who also the  same stats.

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

On the topic of Millar/Brym in a comparison to those who weren't included. I think they are in the same position that a lot of guys like Corbeanu, Ugbo, and Bair are in, where they started their season off well and have cooled off.

In Millars case it wasn't going well at Basel, got his move and played his best game on his debut 7 games ago. That's 1 game from 12 this season.

Brym plays at a higher level than all the other guys, but had his best game against league giants Feyenord 6 games ago. 

Now I wouldn't want to swap Millar out considering some of the other guys in the team, but in comparison to the ones who aren't - Ike and Theo must be thinking "why not me" looking at Millars season so far. 

You fellas are talking about JRR, and Shaff. But no one has mentioned Theo Bair who has started every game and has 1 goal, or even Kianz Froese who also the  same stats.

There will always be diversity in opinion when it comes to squad announcements, but I know what you mean.

Sometimes it seems like the same standards do not apply for all players. I mean, if a player is starting every game in CPL and producing should he be called over a guy sitting on the bench in La Liga? I suppose with an example like that it's difficult to apply the same standards because of level. But in general, I think you have a point that it's important to evaluate all aspects behind a call (i.e. form, game time, level, past CMNT appearances, etc.). This time, I truly have no idea why Corbeanu wasn't called.

Ugbo I kind of get. Shaff hasn't been playing much, so even if I would like him in the squad, his omission is somewhat warranted. 

I haven't watched much of Bair, but he is playing regularly and may be worth monitoring for future calls. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

9 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

.....I haven't watched much of Bair, but he is playing regularly and may be worth monitoring for future calls. 

I watched majority of his games, and his skillset is what we would've got from Cavallini in the past. He holds the ball up very well, and is capable of playing a loan striker. It's a vast improvement to where he was before, because I remember he would struggle and perform better from the wing...but his game has drastically improved based on what we expect from him for his size. We simply don't have an option like him.

On another note, Kaye has had a resurgence with NER since his move from TFC...but Piette got called back in?

I don't think there is an expected standard...just like here, it comes down to preference for the coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

This is a crazy take brother.

Brym has played substantially less minutes than Millar for Canada, and his minutes have only come as a late sub. 

Shirts won't be dripping from 25 minutes of play. Especially when you compare someone who's playing 75 minutes...

I think you're caught up on how someone "looks" Vs what they actually do. Millar is very active because where he plays (LWB) requires a lot of up and down activity - more ground to cover. 

If Brym gives you the sense of no pride, I wonder how you feel about Kones demeanour ...

You do realize I'm not actually weighing or inspecting the video to gauge how "dry" his shirt is?  Hint: The " " should have given it away.

Do you understand what is expected of an attacker when he comes on for 20-25 minutes to wrap up a game?  You want him running, exactly like a chicken without a head - nonstop.  Exact same as what you expect to see from a LWB, so your comparison to Millar is just plain wrong.  Millar does run for 75' and Brym doesn't for 25'.  That is my point.  You expect passing lanes to be cut off, you expect him to chase down every single loose ball and free player.  You want him standing in front of a ball for an opposing free kick to waste time and you want him fetching the ball quickly if you're losing.  Brym hasn't always shown that, far from it.  That's where my disappointment stems from.  

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Sorry MILLARS season so far""?????????

Liam has 4 goals and 2 assists this season so far between Basel, Canada and Preston. Again mostly from wing back..thats better than all of last season...

He has started 4 out a possible 6 games(the other 2 playing 30 and 45 mins)  in the championship since arriving and got MOTM and Team of the week on his debut. He is one of the most in form players for Canada right now. Anyone that has been watching his game knows he is full of confidence and form atm.. he form hasn't cooled off the team has.. Preston played 1 and 2 in the Champ standings ...Leicester that started 9/11 players who were premier league players last season with about 40x the budget they are automatic promotion bound, ipswich is 2nd in the league and flying. This is Prestons best start to a league campaign in 40 years and are still in 3rd...Sometimes honestly try to do a bit of research and be factual about someones form. Theo has 1 goal (a PK) and 3 assists in 10 games and has zero goal contributions in the last 5 whos from is slipping( yes see how silly that sounds after he got player of the month..) DO SOME research and stop being biased ..

Yes Theo probably deserves a call up to based on his performance but its not an excuse @Shway for the ususal Millar bashing.. there are a lot of other players that are struggling to even get in the teams atm... Liam is the only usual starter in the Championship atm ...

I remember someone posting he would be an impact sub in the champ but it always seems to be a Theo vs Millar theme... 

The last thing I will say yes we are all fans and experts here all be it from our armchairs..but i'm sure a network of scouts coaches advisors that soul job is to evaluate, assess and pick teams may have a better idea of who is suitable to be selected that of us fans..I am always very critical and honest about his performance he struggled last season..hes doing better this season lets be honest @Shway

but as I say what do I know. Rant over i'm sure ill deleted it soon so read it while u can

On 10/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, toontownman said:

Paton has been playing deeper for Motherwell so interesting to see how he staq's up against Piette in training. If he and choiniere impress I could see Ahmed back in and piette our. The latter has been playing well since getting back in the side for Montreal though.

I am curious to see how Paton does but I sense he might be just a numbers guy who gets a "cup of coffee" here.  Hopefully he impresses in training and it translates to match action and performance in Japan.

Right footed  CBs Zator and Waterman not being called up though being healthy and regular club starters probably indicates where those guys are at in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

You do realize I'm not actually weighing or inspecting the video to gauge how "dry" his shirt is?  Hint: The " " should have given it away.

Do you understand what is expected of an attacker when he comes on for 20-25 minutes to wrap up a game?  You want him running, exactly like a chicken without a head - nonstop.  Exact same as what you expect to see from a LWB, so your comparison to Millar is just plain wrong.  Millar does run for 75' and Brym doesn't for 25'.  That is my point.  You expect passing lanes to be cut off, you expect him to chase down every single loose ball and free player.  You want him standing in front of a ball for an opposing free kick to waste time and you want him fetching the ball quickly if you're losing.  Brym hasn't always shown that, far from it.  That's where my disappointment stems from.  

Aka watch Cava come on as a late game sub.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I am curious to see how Paton does but I sense he might be just a numbers guy who gets a "cup of coffee" here.  Hopefully he impresses in training and it translates to match action and performance in Japan.

Right footed  CBs Zator and Waterman not being called up though being healthy and regular club starters probably indicates where those guys are at in the pecking order.

If I remember correctly, Biello really wanted Paton for the U-23s in 2021 when he was hitting form with Ross County. I'm sure Paton will have a shot at some minutes off the bench if he trains well.

On Zator/Waterman, I wonder if training performances from previous call-ups played a factor in them missing out? Herdman spoke about how a player did in training a lot. In fact, I remember him challenging Waterman to do the business in training on the day of the Bahrain squad announcement. Biello being on staff and watching those training sessions might've influenced that decision.

Edited by FreddyCanuck

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Sorry MILLARS season so far""?????????

Liam has 4 goals and 2 assists this season so far between Basel, Canada and Preston. Again mostly from wing back..thats better than all of last season...

He has started 4 out a possible 6 games(the other 2 playing 30 and 45 mins)  in the championship since arriving and got MOTM and Team of the week on his debut. He is one of the most in form players for Canada right now. Anyone that has been watching his game knows he is full of confidence and form atm.. he form hasn't cooled off the team has.. Preston played 1 and 2 in the Champ standings ...Leicester that started 9/11 players who were premier league players last season with about 40x the budget they are automatic promotion bound, ipswich is 2nd in the league and flying. This is Prestons best start to a league campaign in 40 years and are still in 3rd...Sometimes honestly try to do a bit of research and be factual about someones form. Theo has 1 goal (a PK) and 3 assists in 10 games and has zero goal contributions in the last 5 whos from is slipping( yes see how silly that sounds after he got player of the month..) DO SOME research and stop being biased ..

Yes Theo probably deserves a call up to based on his performance but its not an excuse @Shway for the ususal Millar bashing.. there are a lot of other players that are struggling to even get in the teams atm... Liam is the only usual starter in the Championship atm ...

I remember someone posting he would be an impact sub in the champ but it always seems to be a Theo vs Millar theme... 

The last thing I will say yes we are all fans and experts here all be it from our armchairs..but i'm sure a network of scouts coaches advisors that soul job is to evaluate, assess and pick teams may have a better idea of who is suitable to be selected that of us fans..I am always very critical and honest about his performance he struggled last season..hes doing better this season lets be honest @Shway

but as I say what do I know. Rant over i'm sure ill deleted it soon so read it while u can

I wasn't bashing. I was just keeping everything under the same light, I'm far from biased. I will say you keep mentioning him playing "wingback" but it seems that the very same people who's sole job is to evaluate, assess, and pick teams are always deploying him there.  

Liam started hot at PNE (wasn't doing well at Basel) and is coming off the bench in recent games.

Ike has started 8 of the 11 championship games this season. 

Here's some quick research from guys I mentioned below. 

image.png.87132fe91505bed8137ffd5be833b655.png

image.png.03941f7f6a7691fd8b5e3ae25a611d36.png

Theo Bair
image.png.68eee2397e457cdfab1e813e9bbd2cfe.png

Kian Froese
image.png.fcc97a5198ed01d61509018cf57fb42b.png

Ike Ugbo

image.png.815bdc9f2c3c77c215329ab3ec930609.png

image.png

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, Shway said:

.....In case you missed this. @spitfire

Based on the previous post, the latter is a fair statement. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

.....In case you missed this. @spitfire

Based on the previous post, the latter is a fair statement. 

I didnt miss the backhanded comment for the record you are always bashing and try to pretend you are not. 

It is very easy to cherry pick stats off transfermarket without looking deeper..

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Liam started hot at PNE (wasn't doing well at Basel) and is coming off the bench in recent games.

5 hours ago, Shway said:

Again i waste my time dealing in facts @Shway ,

He DID start well for Basel this season with 2 goals and 1 assist from wing back in 6 GAMES

He scored for Canada and got 2 hockety assists and was MOTM in that game and had a very good Gold cup

He has NOT been coming OFF the bench lately.He is a starter being rotated because of load management . He started vs 4 of the last 6 games. Started vs Plymouth and Brimingham playing 90 + then came off then bench and played 20 vs Rotherham Then started vs West Broom and then Leicester and then came off the bench at half time vs Ipswich playing 45

All of this proves ur bias.even with your stats he has a had a good start to the season still playing wing back..but  your comments say otherwise

For some reason u posted Liams stats twice?? Why?

And hes playing wingback because world football is broken and every coach wants to play like pep even if they dont have the players to do it forcing players to play wingback..including Theo, Liam Tajon from Canada...

Edited by spitfire

I’m going to disagree on the Bair shouts to be included.  I usually agree with you @Shway but he’s no where near the level we need as a striker regardless of his unique profile.

He’s an attacker who has only scored more than 2 goals once in now his 6 professional seasons.  The season was 4 goals when he was playing in the Norwegian 2nd division.  His next most productive season was his rookie MLS season in 2019 when he had 2 goals.

Even this season, he scored in his opening game and has yet to score in his next 8 games.

I love that he’s somehow fallen upwards to Motherwell and I hope he can continue to get starts and some more goals.

He’s yet to hit 10 professional goals in almost 4,000 minutes with Vancouver, HamKam, St Johnstone and Motherwell.  This isn’t a case of Brym not being able to score in a couple hundred substitute minutes for Canada.  That’s a goal for about every 450 minutes played and half of those goals came in the Norwegian 2nd division.

Even a simple comparison with JRR who’s also been left off the squad as well.  JRR has scored 4 goals and 2 assists in 500 MLS minutes compared to Bair’s 1 goal in 600 minutes to start this season in a lesser league.

Edited by Corazon