CONCACAF U20 qualifying (for the cycle ending in 2025) + preparation & news

Rooting for the US at anything requires serious gritting of my teeth, but I suppose them clobbering Jamaica 9-0 today is helpful, since it increase the chances of Canada getting through on goal difference as a 3rd place team. Hopefully they (the US) can beat Cuba and Costa Rica by as much or more and Jamaica can hold either Cuba or Costa Rica to a draw...

On 7/19/2024 at 10:34 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Hoping this is the cycle we turn around the dreadful results at this age group. I believe this is the team that does it. 

What we have been missing with our youth teams is not a lack of talent but a lack of pro experience. When we come up vs US, Mexico and the CA teams, many of their players are with their domestic leagues playing vs seasoned pros. We lack that "streetwise" attribute.  Exceptional players but some of the biggest stars at the Euros were 20 or under. There are examples of teens getting regular mins in top 5 leagues. We know NextPro is not a level to transition young players to MLS. Marsch is 100% right when he says we have to do a better job of scouting teen talent and then giving them pro mins.

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

What we have been missing with our youth teams is not a lack of talent but a lack of pro experience. When we come up vs US, Mexico and the CA teams, many of their players are with their domestic leagues playing vs seasoned pros. We lack that "streetwise" attribute.  Exceptional players but some of the biggest stars at the Euros were 20 or under. There are examples of teens getting regular mins in top 5 leagues. We know NextPro is not a level to transition young players to MLS. Marsch is 100% right when he says we have to do a better job of scouting teen talent and then giving them pro mins.

Exceptional analysis!

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

So  2 Croatian club teams did not allow their 2 youth players to be included in the squad. From a developmental  perspective its a bit odd. 

Ivanisevic was at preseason with the first team, so I wouldn't say that's worse from a developmental perspective. He scored against the strong Hungarian first-division side Ferencvaros and started a game. Unfortunately, he sustained a collarbone injury a few days ago. I'm not sure how long he'll be injured, but those tend to be pretty brutal in recovery time. As for Pavela, he would've been used as a backup for Canada most likely anyway, so he might as well have a full pre-season instead of travelling to watch his teammates play for 2 weeks from the sidelines.

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Absolutely agree. No one on our team has played a match's worth of MLS minutes this season, while 4 of the US players have. And that's not including 5+ players that were left off the roster for various reasons, all of whom play and/or start consistently. It seems our guys can't make the jump immediately, and get stuck in Next Pro because coaches aren't patient. The US is intrinsically deeper due to the population disparity, but there's no reason a city like Washington D.C. should have multiple MLS rotation players in the under U-20 age category, while Toronto has had none this year. Guys like Stefanovic and Pearlman got a little game time last year, and this year it's like Herdman has put them in a timeout. We are missing LDF and the previously mentioned few, but if both nations are at full strength it's disheartening how big the difference is between our U-20 teams in terms of experience, and more importantly the seeming lack of opportunities coming their way.

It's been raining heavily for most of DOM v SLV match. Pitch at 68 minute has become water logged. Puddles here and there visible.

SLV leading 1-0 but DOM had a penalty saved in first half.

On 7/12/2024 at 9:15 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:
23 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I thought Kimani Stewart was on the team but Fotmob has him on Colorado's bench tonight

Well well well

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Concacaf is showing him.on the bench at U20s.

Screenshot_20240720_211209_Chrome.jpg

The man is in two places at once! :D

On a more serious note, I don't think he's in Mexico. In this video from last week, he says that he is leaving on Monday:

https://www.coloradorapids.com/video/postgame-reaction-kimani-stewart-baynes-on-return-to-play-call-up-to-u-20-canadian-national-team

But Monday passes...and on Wednesday he played for Colorado in L.A.

https://www.coloradorapids.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2024/matches/lavscol-07-17-2024/

I think Colorado rescinded their promise to release him. :(

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Well well well

The man is in two places at once! :D

On a more serious note, I don't think he's in Mexico. In this video from last week, he says that he is leaving on Monday:

https://www.coloradorapids.com/video/postgame-reaction-kimani-stewart-baynes-on-return-to-play-call-up-to-u-20-canadian-national-team

But Monday passes...and on Wednesday he played for Colorado in L.A.

https://www.coloradorapids.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2024/matches/lavscol-07-17-2024/

I think Colorado rescinded their promise to release him. :(

You beat me too it again :)

Edited by blueseeka