CONCACAF U20 qualifying (for the cycle ending in 2025) + preparation & news

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Man I really think and prefer that LDF is with this team. Allow him to experience international tournament, and make him be the leader. Maybe Marsch has him on trial and what's to see him up close. But with 6 CBs in camp, unless he's projected to start...I hope he eventually ends up at the tournament.

I think we underestimate the importance of a youth player dominating or breaking out at a youth tournament (guys there are). 

We've seen careers change after it like Tajon, and Derek.

Agree with this. With 1 pro game under his belt, its hard to see how LDF would be playable in the 3+ Copa games, unless he is outperforming the other CBs in practice and does well if he gets mins in the 2 friendlies, which in itself is a reach given the 2 opponents we face. I'm glad he is training with the squad but I would be surprised if he is part of the 18 or gets mins.

20 hours ago, narduch said:

Still waiting on the next step from that McDonell kid. 

I think we’re only going to see more of this, chance to train and develop with pros back home, Vs battle through the euro academies…

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Still waiting on the next step from that McDonell kid. 

I think we’re only going to see more of this, chance to train and develop with pros back home, Vs battle through the euro academies…

McDonnell is an ‘08 and Tavio is an ‘06 so hopefully Tavio is more ready for the level and can play quickly.

30 minutes ago, archer21 said:

McDonnell is an ‘08 and Tavio is an ‘06 so hopefully Tavio is more ready for the level and can play quickly.

Oh yeah that’s young, doesn’t seem like Kane or Tahid have played much though. Same with Cameron..

Interesting blurb from the Canada Soccer site:

There are 14 players returning from the squad that played in the CONCACAF qualifiers. Of the new additions; 3 players have had experience in the previous U17 cycle (Chukwu, Mathe, Dumitru) and there are 4 players who are receiving their first call-up to Canada’s youth teams (Ivanisevic, Juricic, Pacheco, Kane). Unavailable for selection due to club commitments are Kimani Stewart-Baynes and Alessandro Biello while Luc De Fougerolles is presently with our Men’s National Team. 

Love it. 

Some interesting bits to me:

- assuming Biello/KSB/Tavernier/Schiavoni have been left off due to pushing for club minutes?

- Kozlovskiy is a strange absence given his performances (injured?)

- Don't know much about Ivanisevic, Pacheco or Juricic. Look like good dual natural looks maybe?

- Bunbury with the passport?

- Lopez returning is huge.

- hope to see more from Diallo this time. Didn't see the hype in the qualifiers. 

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Love it. 

Some interesting bits to me:

- assuming Biello/KSB/Tavernier/Schiavoni have been left off due to pushing for club minutes? 

The article mentions Biello + KSB missing due to club commitments and LDF missing it due to CANMNT commitments, but nothing about Tavernier or any of the other omissions. Wonder if he really is getting moved this summer.

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We have a guy in Bolivia?!? And Canada knew about him?!?!?

Canucks Abroad suggests we have another in Bolivia as well, that just missed out on the age cutoff for this group.  A 2004 born player named Diego Campos who plays on the reserve team for arguably the biggest Bolivian club Bolivar.  Club Bolivar also just happened to top their Libertadores Group over Brazilian powerhouse Flamengo (hard for opponents to win games in La Paz).

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Interesting blurb from the Canada Soccer site:

There are 14 players returning from the squad that played in the CONCACAF qualifiers. Of the new additions; 3 players have had experience in the previous U17 cycle (Chukwu, Mathe, Dumitru) and there are 4 players who are receiving their first call-up to Canada’s youth teams (Ivanisevic, Juricic, Pacheco, Kane). Unavailable for selection due to club commitments are Kimani Stewart-Baynes and Alessandro Biello while Luc De Fougerolles is presently with our Men’s National Team. 

Wonder if this implies they would have been in the team if not unavailable, and will be part of the actual CONCACAF U20 Championship.

Very happy Lopez is in there, wish Tavernier was as well but maybe something is in the works with him.

Posted (edited)

We have pretty much a reworked central midfield which is interesting. 

Schaivone and Biello were great a few months ago. Costa/Badwal remain as the sole consistent CM (although Costa is more of an AM isnt he?). Don't really remember Codinha being good or bad?

Edit: OH my Badwal. 

Edited by toontownman

28 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I'll speculate and say that Tavernier and Schiavoni were left off to have a look at other players and they will be there for the finals.

Wasn't that Juricic kid called by Croatia earlier this year or do I have the wrong guy?

That is him, but that call-up didn't seem to go so great.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, toontownman said:

- Don't know much about Ivanisevic, Pacheco or Juricic. Look like good dual natural looks maybe?

Ivanisevic  was on the bench for the Istra first team in the final three matches of the season.  He didn't get any minutes though.  He played in almost every match for their U19 side this past season (24 matches played, 19 starts, 3 goals).

Ivan Pavela - Hajduk Split U19 (24 matches played in goal this season)

Edited by Buchta