CONCACAF U20 qualifying (for the cycle ending in 2025) + preparation & news

We need to stop this stupid formation/system/ or whatever Peter is trying to do. 

If you want to play with 3 CDM/CM just play a 433 or a 352. 

Badwal, Dimitrui, Biello, Costa, Kane....4 of 5 CDM played.
Stewart-Baines, Bunbury* are the only wide players.

I'm now realizing this team was horribly constructed with 18 field players selected.

But onward we go, maybe Peter will scumbag are way to success.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

We need to stop this stupid formation/system/ or whatever Peter is trying to do. 

I'm now realizing this team was horribly constructed with 18 field players selected.

Has Peter ever succeeded on building a system?

10 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Fun fact: We haven't beaten a non-Caribbean side in this tournament since 2013.

We beat Mexico 2-0 in 2009, since then:

2011: 0-3 vs Costa Rica

2011: 0-3 vs Mexico

2013: 5-1 vs Nicaragua (the last win, as you mentioned, including goals from Piette and the OG Staq)

2013: 2-4 vs US

2015: 0-2 vs Mexico

2015: 2-3 vs El Salvador

2015: 2-3 vs Honduras

2017: 0-1 vs Honduras

2017: 0-5 vs Mexico

2018: 1-2 vs Panama

2022: 2-2 vs US

2022: 1-1 (lost shootout) vs Guatemala

2024: 2-2 vs Honduras

2024: ? - ? vs El Salvador

So I guess the positive is that, after losing 7 in a row after beating Nicaragua, we have drawn the last 3. Still, Friday seems like a good day to put another one in the win column!

21 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I kind of want Lopez to be called in for September with the senior team. He has a certain oomph about him and I'd like to keep him away from Mexico.

I agree with the "oomph" part, but he only showed up when #12 (Cameron?) and Bunbury were on the pitch together.  The coaching staff needs to figure out personnel for this squad for the next match.

56 minutes ago, Shway said:

Diallo & Tavio also play as wide mids,but I get your point about balance. Biello is usually good in progressing the ball but he played like a DM today. Biello, Badwal & Dimitrui should not be starting or be on the field at the same time unless we are in shut down mode.

Not sure why this tourney is being played in Mexico at this time of the year if they are going to play on pitches of that quality. I didn’t see the first game, but that was a tough game to watch, to the point that in not sure how much to judge any of the players except maybe the keeper, who was good.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure why this tourney is being played in Mexico at this time of the year if they are going to play on pitches of that quality. I didn’t see the first game, but that was a tough game to watch, to the point that in not sure how much to judge any of the players except maybe the keeper, who was good.

Today's pitch was Wembley compared to the first match! But still terrible, of course.

45 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I kind of want Lopez to be called in for September with the senior team. He has a certain oomph about him and I'd like to keep him away from Mexico.

I would also want to call him, but I am not sure versus Mexico & USA is the best idea. Unless it's to see him train with the first team.

I wonder where he'll end up if he can't get more minutes for Pumas. Kid needs to play.

52 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Amen. Some players at this level you can tell are a step above. I'd love to see him included

I'd be fine with bringing him in but I think we need to temper expectations a bit. Remember how good Justin Smith was for our youth team? It doesn't always translate to future success. Obviously Lopez is very promising though.

7 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

HT Honduras 1-1 El Salvador

Does this partial result suit Canada?

We are officially #1, #2 or #3 no matter what. I think with 4 points we should be safe for third spot.

A draw would be a great result, as a W versus Salvador, we finish first or second.

40 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

It's raining somewhat heavily during this Honduras/El Salvador match, for those wondering how that's going

How are you watching if you don't mind. Nvm. Found  a stream. 

Edited by Ed_S

9 hours ago, lamptern said:

Give: 1st game we played well but we sucked in last second to give up 3 points.

Take: 2nd game we played like shit but we pulled out 3 points.

Judge to come last game.

We didn't give up three points. It was only two. And hopefully, the next game will not be the last.

Edited by Sal333

9 hours ago, Shway said:

Who is this Peter you speak of? I thought Andrew was the gaffer. (Do we have our apostles mixed up?)