CONCACAF U20 qualifying (for the cycle ending in 2025) + preparation & news

Posted (edited)

I kept hearing in the last cycle that the CPL will change things (somewhat) with our u20 players getting real 1st team minutes and raising the level of play for the u20 team.

That hasn't really happened. Also, no real MLS 1st team minutes for our players, either (KSB had a couple of sub appearances early in the season for Colorado)

It seems like our team isn't so different than past cycles, lots of MLS 2 players.

When or how does this ever change?

Edited by Soccerpro2

12 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I kept hearing in the last cycle that the CPL will change things (somewhat) with our u20 players getting real 1st team minutes and raising the level of play for the u20 team.

That hasn't really happened. Also, no real MLS 1st team minutes for our players, either (KSB had a couple of sub appearances early in the season for Colorado)

It seems like our team isn't so different than past cycles, lots of MLS 2 players.

9 out of 22 players or 41% from MLS 2  is probably a historic low for our youth teams. Tavernier & TJ Tahid who have been on prior teams have played very few mins this season for their CPL clubs which is concerning for sure.

41 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Costa and Lopes returning is super important. I think we have a really good chance of doing well in the tournament with these friendly 

Costa is overrated, we need to stop hyping guys for the sake of it. As mentioned in the thread, many of our guys are playing Next Pro or youth ball still. Even Chukwu who hasn’t played a single game for the reserve team yet he’s listed as a TFC 2 player. We should temper our expectations 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

His goal from about 3 months ago.

The money quote from the article: It is something special. I grew up in Canada, I have my family there and, honestly, I always dreamed of being able to represent her. I have always wanted to represent Canada. Obviously I do not rule out representing Bolivia, but I want to focus on Canada. It is not to despise Bolivia or anything. It is simply because it is the place where I grew up and it is a pride.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I think it’s going to be more CPL guys as time goes, this change takes years and I mean these teams have been mls dominated in the past and this is a low number… young players do have to earn minutes and we forget these kids still have school.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I think it’s going to be more CPL guys as time goes, this change takes years and I mean these teams have been mls dominated in the past and this is a low number… young players do have to earn minutes and we forget these kids still have school.

Why will there be more CPL guys? What can you point to that gives you that confidence?

I assumed after all these years there would be more MLS guys, but that hasn’t happened/

5 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Why will there be more CPL guys? What can you point to that gives you that confidence?

I assumed after all these years there would be more MLS guys, but that hasn’t happened/

Ldf, Stefanovic, ksb, dumitru, Tahid, tarvernier, Lopez, Biello, Cameron, Kane pearlman are all eligible and received first team minutes. 

compare that to 2022 team and there’s been progress. 

all nations have weaker than possible u20 teams because the best players move on quicker.  

10 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Because think about it 30 years ago USA 94 when USA hosted the FIFA World Cup, you had more players developed than ever before due to NCAA or USL pre MLS and then after that when MLS came into existence you saw more and more American born players come into their national team than ever before. Now with us as it relates to Canada since we are hosting in 2026, you will not only see more Canadian born players around the world in different leagues but also more of our home grown players coming out of our CPL league. 

My point being that if our U 20s decide to play in the CPL, it actually will do wonders for them. It helps get their names out there for 1 thing and also if they break out by playing in the CPL, a lot more eyes on them not just from different club teams around the world but also from Marsch himself as I'm sure he will be looking to the CPL.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Kadenge said:

9 out of 22 players or 41% from MLS 2  is probably a historic low for our youth teams...

0% from Montreal is perhaps the most interesting stat on that. No huge shock because having a PLSQ team rather than a Next Pro one doesn't cut it by U-20 level at this point when there are so many more fully pro contracts available now.

The Sigma -> Forge -> CMNT U-20 pathway that might have been expected at the outset of CanPL given how prominent Sigma had been in years prior to that was substituted with a Montreal Academy -> Forge -> CMNT U-20 in Khadime Kane's case just as it could have been with Woobens Pacius previously. In a similar sort of way, Christian Greco-Taylor has a Whitecaps Academy background. You can only really point to James Cameron as someone who has followed a youth soccer -> CanPL -> CMNT U-20 pathway rather than one involving a pro club overseas or an MLS academy given Tavio Ciccarelli was with Sheffield United's academy setup.

Given we are six years in now with CanPL, the oldest players being called up for this roster were around 14 when the league was first launching. I think that points to there having been a lower than expected number of players that were legitimate U-20 level prospects who were being missed previously more than anything else. High profile players like Mitrovic and Sigur who have flown the coop elswehere were in the MLS academy setup but for whatever reason didn't feature in CMNT youth national team selections.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I think what’s lost in here, and the really big thing is that the CPL did it wrong the first few years with the U-21 rule because teams signed some 18 and up guys who sadly by the time they’re 21 in a weaker league, just don’t have many options. 

North American soccer is very hesitant to play the u-18 kids at the pro levels in key roles and the shift to do so only really started what 5 years ago ?? It’s more common now and the CPL is only really following suit now.

im no soccer expert but I’ve read some development model documents and it’s very important for pro soccer players to make their debuts and be in the pro environment at 16-18 as these are crucial learning years.

more CPL teams with more exceptional young talents will eventually translate to more 18-20 year olds with 40 plus pro games under their belt and that will trump 90% of the talent we will have playing MLS next pro and in academies elsewhere.

Results take time, I’m going to be very bold and probably get laughed at but I think if the CPL pushes the EYT rule and adds a U20 or U18 minute rule, we could pump out some top talent real quick and easily get to #2 in the region for the youth levels because these are very aggressive philosophies that are in like with the Germany reform in the early 2000’s that lead to the return to dominance of the Germans. They had quotas that pound for pound were not nearly as aggressive as ours.

The scouting network is really improving at a quick rate and will only get better, more coaches and more development is taking place. These things take time; but no Montreal players such a good message because it shows that the level of the PLSQ isn’t high enough for their youth players to play. This pushes top talent to the CPL where they will get exposure and proper competition and eventually Montreal will have to get a next pro team. 

I’ll bet that in 2 years the next batch is CPL dominated because there will be 10-ETY’s who have grown in the league and will have a leg up on the next pro guys.

The MLS teams will have to play their youth at a point or lose them, no way TFC, MTL and WFC are pleased that they are losing some of their academy boys to the CPL.. when one of these guys gets a fee then, and only then will heads roll and things change fully. 

10 years from now, if the CPL is around, next pro won’t cut it. Id also bet that Mexico and the US won’t have any amateurs or next pro kids on their youth teams within 5 years… unless we’re talking u-17.

26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

0% from Montreal is perhaps the most interesting stat on that. No huge shock because having a PLSQ team rather than a Next Pro one doesn't cut it by U-20 level at this point when there are so many more fully pro contracts available now.

The Sigma -> Forge -> CMNT U-20 pathway that might have been expected at the outset of CanPL given how prominent Sigma had been in years prior to that was substituted with a Montreal Academy -> Forge -> CMNT U-20 in Khadime Kane's case just as it could have been with Woobens Pacius previously. In a similar sort of way, Christian Greco-Taylor has a Whitecaps Academy background. You can only really point to James Cameron as someone who has followed a youth soccer -> CanPL -> CMNT U-20 pathway rather than one involving a pro club overseas or an MLS academy given Tavio Ciccarelli was with Sheffield United's academy setup.

Given we are six years in now with CanPL, the oldest players being called up for this roster were around 14 when the league was first launching. I think that points to there having been a lower than expected number of players that were legitimate U-20 level prospects who were being missed previously more than anything else. High profile players like Mitrovic and Sigur who have flown the coop elswehere were in the MLS academy setup but for whatever reason didn't feature in CMNT youth national team selections.

How old is Kane ? Is he actually a Quebec guy ?

we won’t miss as many Sigur’s and Mitrovic’s, and I don’t think Sigur is gone yet. But as you said, 5 years ago, things weren’t very established and I think the proof is that these EYT’s and guys from Mexico and Bolivia are popping up that we didn’t know existed.

There is more Montreal content when you consider Schiavoni (loaned to Forge) looked good in the qualifiers and is probably still in contention for the final squad. Biello would have been a sure starter, but wasn't released by CFM. And that Kozlovskiy kid sure looked like he has tonnes of potential in the qualifiers but is very young (2008) for this team.

Just now, youllneverwalkalone said:

Seems to be some hope for future CBs. I guess we just spent a lot of $$$ on Marsch's staff but it would be nice to see someone new in charge of this group. Good looking set of friendlies tho.

I guess they are letting him finish the cycle.

But I agree 

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I’m going to be very bold and probably get laughed at but I think if the CPL pushes the EYT rule and adds a U20 or U18 minute rule

No thanks. People are still paying to see a decent product and it's often a big step from the youth game to pro game that can take a while to adapt to and mature. The league is about more than just youth development. Getting minutes should show that the club sees something in the player, not that roster rules are forcing them to play you 

16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

No thanks. People are still paying to see a decent product and it's often a big step from the youth game to pro game that can take a while to adapt to and mature. The league is about more than just youth development. Getting minutes should show that the club sees something in the player, not that roster rules are forcing them to play you 

What CPL needs is more than 8 teams.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Yeah I agree with everything that you have said here which is why I was saying that CPL yes it can be a great tool to develop more home grown talents of course sure but I'm saying too in that aspect that post 2026 after we host the World Cup, just think about what does for the CPL going forward? More talents not only being discovered through CPL but you never know maybe more foreign players decide to play in the CPL you never really know.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Ldf, Stefanovic, ksb, dumitru, Tahid, tarvernier, Lopez, Biello, Cameron, Kane pearlman are all eligible and received first team minutes. 

compare that to 2022 team and there’s been progress. 

all nations have weaker than possible u20 teams because the best players move on quicker.  

“First team minutes” in the case of almost all of those players is an insignificant amount of game time.

Other countries usually seem to have u20 players getting regular minutes.

MLS historically being a level too high for our young players to break into for regular first team minutes was supposed to mean they could show out in the CPL at younger ages.

Edited by Soccerpro2