Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

These are the sort of results we would have gotten back in the old days , you would think we would do better in 2023 with all the different pathways Canadian players now have to make it to the pro level . Back in the the day most of our players came up through the youth ranks coached by volunteers who were mainly a parent who had a kid on the team and at times had no real qualifications to coach . Now we have paid coaches with all these qualifications coaching our youth, all these different academies , 11 pro teams across the country , a decent pathway where players can see that if they stick to it they might have a chance to make it to even Europe. Moreover , they have Canadian players that have made it playing at good levels in Europe and even here in North America that they can look up to . Moreover , with technology what it is now they can access soccer as much as they want . Back in the day our youth players had none of that so these kind of scores were expected when playing the Brazil's of the world’s but today you would think we have closed the gap a bit , but when you see scores like this you wonder have we made any progress considering how different things are in youth soccer in this country compared to back in the day ? 

Edited by SoccMan

30 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

These are the sort of results we would have gotten back in the old days , you would think we would do better in 2023 with all the different pathways Canadian players now have to make it to the pro level . Back in the the day most of our players came up through the youth ranks coached by volunteers who were mainly a parent who had a kid on the team and at times had no real qualifications to coach . Now we have paid coaches with all these qualifications coaching our youth, all these different academies , 11 pro teams across the country , a decent pathway where players can see that if they stick to it they might have a chance to make it to even Europe. Moreover , they have Canadian players that have made it playing at good levels in Europe and even here in North America that they can look up to . Moreover , with technology what it is now they can access soccer as much as they want . Back in the day our youth players had none of that so these kind of scores were expected when playing the Brazil's of the world’s but today you would think we have closed the gap a bit , but when you see scores like this you wonder have we made any progress considering how different things are in youth soccer in this country compared to back in the day ? 

Brazil’s kids have probably been training together on and off since 13

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Brazil’s kids have probably been training together on and off since 13

They haven't been training together. In fact this probably isn't even their best team. It's probably just players who haven't been identified yet so they're given the upportunity. It's a business in Brazil developing and selling players. So yah they're a good team but this isn't like some organized group of players development since youth by the CBF. The squad selection is probably heavily influenced by agents and politics etc. Nobody in Brazil thinks it's anybody but the clubs job to develop players. And on the flip side 5-0 isn't the end of the world considering the circumstances 

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

While the soccer infrastructure may be (slowly) improving in Canada, it hasn’t stood still in other countries. It’s improving there, too.

Is our infrastructure/development growing more rapidly than other countries? Not a chance.

Edited by Soccerpro2

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I think we need to put this into better context- having a bunch of kids fly to a brand new country and go play two away games with a new team is not an easy thing to do, especially not against arguably the best country in the world at producing young (and expensive) talent. I have no clue if this is Brazil's U17 A team or not, but looking at some of the players who have scored against Canada, they're pretty much all linked to some massive European club, many of them have already made senior team appearances in Brazil, you even have a kid who has scored for his senior club team. Elias has a $50M release clause and apparently Estevao's club has already turned down 40M from PSG for him.  It's great that Tahid and Tavernier are playing in the CPL and Stefanovic had a cup of coffee with TFC, but none of that compares to the level that the average Brazilian player- let alone their best- has accomplished at that age.

It's like Canada in junior hockey. Other countries like Germany or Switzerland have closed the gap in recent years but it's not like they're anywhere near our team. You take the best developped junior team in German history and put them up against even a Canadian B team and they still get washed, and 25 years from now, they'll still be getting washed. There's levels here.

Edited by InglewoodJack

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

They haven't been training together. In fact this probably isn't even their best team. It's probably just players who haven't been identified yet so they're given the upportunity. It's a business in Brazil developing and selling players. So yah they're a good team but this isn't like some organized group of players development since youth by the CBF. The squad selection is probably heavily influenced by agents and politics etc. Nobody in Brazil thinks it's anybody but the clubs job to develop players. And on the flip side 5-0 isn't the end of the world considering the circumstances 

It’s literally been said this one of their better squads

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

How new to soccer are the people upset about losing to Brazil in soccer?

Here’s a quick way to compare our teams: TJ Tahid and Thiago Coimbra roughly have the same numbers in the CPL- the former is probably the best U17 player we have and the latter was never even called in to a single Brazil youth team. Sure, Tahid is younger by almost 3 years, but this kid who were hoping becomes the CPL’s first young star and I guess my extension Canada’s next bright young phenom is putting up similar numbers to a kid who wasn’t even close to being on Brazil’s radar. 

On 10/2/2023 at 5:58 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We witnessed how our U17 squad compared with the US squad at the CONCACAF Championship.

The USA will also play two friendlies against Brazil. Let's wait a week and see how well or poorly the USA squad does, just so we have a better benchmark.

First game ended 0-0. 

On 9/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, phresh said:

No De Guzman either

Noticed this (from I think a poster here but I’m forgetting the name EDIT: It’s Xavier. I believe, shoutout to you!). Wonder if it was for the friendlies vs Brazil, or for the World Cup? If it was for the friendlies, maybe it’s sorted for the World Cup?

E7C071C9-CAE8-4648-8107-31567C90D2AE.jpeg

Edited by Borjans Sweatpants

On 10/2/2023 at 2:57 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Here’s a quick way to compare our teams: TJ Tahid and Thiago Coimbra roughly have the same numbers in the CPL- the former is probably the best U17 player we have and the latter was never even called in to a single Brazil youth team. Sure, Tahid is younger by almost 3 years, but this kid who were hoping becomes the CPL’s first young star and I guess my extension Canada’s next bright young phenom is putting up similar numbers to a kid who wasn’t even close to being on Brazil’s radar. 

Sorry, but I think there might be a few better examples on the gulf in quality between Brazil and Canada than comparing the output of a 16 year old winger to a 19 year old striker

8 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Noticed this (from I think a poster here but I’m forgetting the name EDIT: It’s Xavier. I believe, shoutout to you!). Wonder if it was for the friendlies vs Brazil, or for the World Cup? If it was for the friendlies, maybe it’s sorted for the World Cup?

E7C071C9-CAE8-4648-8107-31567C90D2AE.jpeg

I don't have any information on if he will be at the World Cup u17 roster yet. One thing to remember though is the cap tying nature of the World Cup. The Brazil camp was not going to cap tie him to anything. Going to the World Cup will block him from future options.

13 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

I don't have any information on if he will be at the World Cup u17 roster yet. One thing to remember though is the cap tying nature of the World Cup. The Brazil camp was not going to cap tie him to anything. Going to the World Cup will block him from future options.

Safe to assume the u17 call up you were mentioning was for the Brazil friendlies then I guess?