Canada and the U17 World Cup: Nov 10 to Dec 2 in Indonesia

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Other team news: four players from Poland kicked off the team for sneaking out to party. They have 14 outfield players for the tournament. This is considered a strong Poland team, they lost 5-3 in the Euro semis to Germany, have some talented attackers and mids.

This article says nothing about a party just that they snuck out to get booze 🤣 

https://sport.tvp.pl/73918700/reprezentacja-polski-u17-skandal-w-mlodziezowce-pzpn-wyrzucil-z-reprezentacji-czterech-pilkarzy/amp

Strong Eastern European stereotype there!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

The broadcast schedule is below. It's not always the same TSN channel.

vs Spain

Friday November 10th 7am Eastern / 4am Pacific

TSN 1, TSN 4, RDS

vs Uzbekistan

Monday, November 13th  7am Eastern / 4am Pacific

TSN5, RDS

vs Mali 

Thursday Nov 16th 4am Eastern / 1am Pacific

TSN 5,  RDS

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This article says nothing about a party just that they snuck out to get booze 🤣 

https://sport.tvp.pl/73918700/reprezentacja-polski-u17-skandal-w-mlodziezowce-pzpn-wyrzucil-z-reprezentacji-czterech-pilkarzy/amp

Strong Eastern European stereotype there!

Maybe someone should have told them they are in a Muslim country so finding booze is no easy task

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

Maybe someone should have told them they are in a Muslim country so finding booze is no easy task

Maybe in Aceh province in northern Sumatra, which is strongly Muslim. But I’ve been to Indonesia a couple of times, and finding booze in Bandung and Jakarta - where Poland will be playing their matches - is no problem at all.

Why isn’t Liam Mackenzie on the roster does anyone know? He seemed to be one of our best players at the qualifying tournament and was in every other roster, while playing pro minutes then gets dropped from this one? Is he injured or something and they took him as an extra just in case he recovers?

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

They still haven't posted anything regarding this friendly?

Tahid scored his first goal for his country but apparently that's not important enough to acknowledge. What a joke.

Let's hope the CSA hires a top  notch General Secretary with some business experience in the service/entertainment industry and starts to change things from the ground up. The CSA operates like a government institution. It's almost like the employees at the CSA hate their jobs   :)

On 11/5/2023 at 11:35 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

BTW that would be "@Paulosenra" on twitter (or X), but I'll give him a break because they are understaffed and it is a Sunday.

2 hours ago, Vasi said:

Didn't the CSA hire someone for recently for business and media development? 

See above @Vasi.

But they let go of Richard Scott and Brad Fougère resigned and took a job elsewhere so they are still short-staffed.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Vasi said:

Didn't the CSA hire someone for recently for business and media development? 

I assumed the CSA did “an extensive year long search” and ended up hiring Earl Cochrane. 

Perhaps “@Paolosenra” is just Earl’s pseudonym ?

Edited by maccaliam

5 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Why isn’t Liam Mackenzie on the roster does anyone know? He seemed to be one of our best players at the qualifying tournament and was in every other roster, while playing pro minutes then gets dropped from this one? Is he injured or something and they took him as an extra just in case he recovers?

TJ, perhaps?

6 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

In this WC roster, at the 10 he's competing with Tahid and Igbinobaro.  Tahid naturally is ahead of him, haven't seen much of him but I guess Igbinobaro showed more in recent camps.

He only played 13 mins in Next Pro, which I understand when looking at the Vancouver Academy can be considered a lot lol.  I've been keen to follow him over the last year given Whitecaps have been pushing his name in a similar way they have past "homegrown players".  I'd say he's good among the current crop they have in the Academy but not at similar level's to what Colyn, Pecile, Habibullah were at this same age.  Those 3 were dominant at the youth levels and were running the show in Academy matches.  

37 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

In this WC roster, at the 10 he's competing with Tahid and Igbinobaro.  Tahid naturally is ahead of him, haven't seen much of him but I guess Igbinobaro showed more in recent camps.

He only played 13 mins in Next Pro, which I understand when looking at the Vancouver Academy can be considered a lot lol.  I've been keen to follow him over the last year given Whitecaps have been pushing his name in a similar way they have past "homegrown players".  I'd say he's good among the current crop they have in the Academy but not at similar level's to what Colyn, Pecile, Habibullah were at this same age.  Those 3 were dominant at the youth levels and were running the show in Academy matches.  

And the whitecaps ruined the 3 of them

8 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Wasn't a problem in Qatar!

Sure it was. You could only drink in licensed premises and they were generally clustered in and around the downtown core.   You could not buy booze at a store unless you had a resident card and I think there were only 2 in the whole city. Some people did manage to find people illegally selling alcohol so they could bring it back to their accommodation but not many. I did as I knew someone who lived there but it was pretty controlled. 

anyway, the comment was more of a joke than anything else. 

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

Sure it was. You could only drink in licensed premises and they were generally clustered in and around the downtown core.   You could not buy booze at a store unless you had a resident card and I think there were only 2 in the whole city. Some people did manage to find people illegally selling alcohol so they could bring it back to their accommodation but not many. I did as I knew someone who lived there but it was pretty controlled. 

anyway, the comment was more of a joke than anything else. 

I stopped counting at 50 the amount of bars and restaurants listed in the Whats App chat. Crowne Plaza had four spots alone although we generally stayed at the one bar. 

Some Canada u17 history from CP shows there has been no joy for Canada.

Canada has yet to win in seven previous trips to the tournament (1987, 1989, 1993, 1995, 2011, 2013, 2019). Its record at the event is 0-17-4, outscored 60-10.

Jacen Russell-Rowe, now with the Columbus Crew, scored both of Canada’s goals at the 2019 tournament.

Canada last registered points at the tournament in 2013, drawing Austria 2-2 and Iran 1-1 with Jordan Hamilton scoring in both games. The Canadians tied England 2-2 and Rwanda 0-0 in 2011.

Canada finished 16th and last as tournament host in 1987, when it was an under-16 competition. Games were held in Montreal, Saint John, St. John’s and Toronto.