2024 Voyageurs Cup

On 5/30/2024 at 12:59 PM, Cicero said:

It seems to have been left out of the post-game analysis video... At least I couldn't find it scrolling through. I'm not really a tinfoil hat guy, and it was a 1 in 3 chance, but it's just really lucky that everyone got what they wanted.

Have you checked the Ottawa vs Pacific game? The draw was part of the half time show of the broadcast (not post game). I haven't checked to see if it's still in there, but I doubt it was edited out of the replay.

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I've never gotten the impression that many islanders went that direction. I thought we avoided Vancouver whenever possible. 

And I would not expect many "islanders" here to be Pacific fans. It's not like when the Roughriders come to town against the Lions. I don't think Pacific causes that "wave of pride" to cause fans to come out and support here.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And I would not expect many "islanders" here to be Pacific fans. It's not like when the Roughriders come to town against the Lions. I don't think Pacific causes that "wave of pride" to cause fans to come out and support here.

Well I guess we'll see. It might, it might not. Which was kinda of my original point..  don't know, you don't know. But I do know people are definitely aware of Pacific.. whether they go to the games.. or they don't drive to Langford on a Wednesday night to watch the the 3rd home game in 10 days. Or they clearly aren't fans because they lived in Burnaby for the past 10 years and shame on them don't get to Langford on weekends for games. We just don't know. Let's wait and find out what people do when Pacific play at BC Place which back to my original point. As far as i know, the first time ever a soccer team, football team, khabandi team, pickleball team, ultimate frisby team, whatever team plays at BC place. Should be interesting but clearly for some, not so interesting 

Edited by SpursFlu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, narduch said:

TFC won't have Laryea and Osorio for their 1st leg against Forge

That will provide opportunities for other Canadians.   

I’m sure Osorio, especially, would want to be there because he seems to really love this event, but I imagine he’ll be okay playing Argentina and whoever comes next instead. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:14 PM, SoccMan said:

3-0 Forge at home in first leg 1-1 in the return leg at BMO , Osorio and Layrea the only Canadians that could start on Forge .

Ha ha!   Good one!

(Or are you serious?)

22 hours ago, Kingston said:

Ha ha!   Good one!

(Or are you serious?)

Have you watched them play the past 11 or so games ? Is this team an MLS level team ? They are basically at the sorry state of the team they were last season . They are no better than a mid table CPL team , I’m totally serious. 

16 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Have you watched them play the past 11 or so games ? Is this team an MLS level team ? They are basically at the sorry state of the team they were last season . They are no better than a mid table CPL team , I’m totally serious. 

They are a mid-table MLS team that is currently playing like a bottom level MLS team.

You compare them to a mid-table CPL team which is exactly what Forge are.  So I don't see Forge winning 4-1 on aggregate.

My expectation is that TFC plays a somewhat mixed roster for the first game and the score is something close (a draw or a narrow win either way).  

For game two, TFC plays a stronger roster at home and wins comfortably to take the series.  Especially as the TFC team in late August will not be the nadir team they are today.

But I guess we'll find out tomorrow.  I've been wrong before.

(As an aside, I think any of Gavran, JMR, or Kerr would be welcome at Forge.)

If Forge are going to score goals in this series, I hope Hamilton gets them.  He's only one goal away from being tied for second in all time Canadian Championship scoring.

23 hours ago, Kingston said:

They are a mid-table MLS team that is currently playing like a bottom level MLS team.

You compare them to a mid-table CPL team which is exactly what Forge are.  So I don't see Forge winning 4-1 on aggregate.

My expectation is that TFC plays a somewhat mixed roster for the first game and the score is something close (a draw or a narrow win either way).  

For game two, TFC plays a stronger roster at home and wins comfortably to take the series.  Especially as the TFC team in late August will not be the nadir team they are today.

But I guess we'll find out tomorrow.  I've been wrong before.

(As an aside, I think any of Gavran, JMR, or Kerr would be welcome at Forge.)

If Forge are going to score goals in this series, I hope Hamilton gets them.  He's only one goal away from being tied for second in all time Canadian Championship scoring.

I think there's never been a better opportunity for a CPL side to win it. Montreal already eliminated. TFC a bit of a shambles right now. Whitecaps erratic.

Having said that, there's still a gap between a midtable to poor MLS side and even the best in the CPL. Eliminating both TFC and the Whitecaps is still an uphill battle. It's not impossible, but the CPL sides are still the underdogs.

Last night's matches put the total attendance for this year's tournament over 100 000 which is good for fourth place all time and only 14 000 short of second place.  So we'll certainly finish at least second.

We need 56 000 total in the final three matches to break the all time record.  It's definitely doable.

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Trying to get free or cheap tickets to attend the TFC v Forge return leg and also make it a day at the CNE.

Lots currently available through TFC's website starting at $30 (taxes and fees included).

On 7/11/2024 at 11:27 AM, Kingston said:

We need 56 000 total in the final three matches to break the all time record.  It's definitely doable.

And those three matches are at TFC, at Whitecaps, and then the final. 18.7K for each. I think we can accept missing this goal if Pacific end up hosting the final. 😛

On 7/11/2024 at 12:24 PM, Markoaleks said:

I imagine Forge will arrange a travelling supporter section for this match

I sincerely hope so. A shame that the matches are a month apart but Forge have a good opportunity to send a few supporters up the QEW.

• 1 month later...

The CPL website posts attendances of 20 173 in Toronto and 10 966 in Vancouver for last night's games.  This brings the total for 2024 to 131 530 which is good for second place all time.  We need about 25 000 in the final to take over first place in all time attendance from 2019 (back when there were 24 games instead of 19 this year).

With TFC and the Whitecaps advancing, interleague play is over for the 2024 edition of the Canadian Championship.  We have:

MLS teams going 3-0 against D3 opponents to bring the all time score in that category to 4-0 for MLS.

CPL teams going 1-1 against D3 opponents to split the year.  CPL teams are now 9 wins, 3 losses, and 1 draw all time against D3 opponents.

MLS teams going 4-3-1 (WLD) against CPL teams which is very impressive for the CPL teams.  The MLS teams now lead the all time series 20-5-3 (WLD).

I was at the TFC v Forge game. I always find myself disappointed in the attendance of Canadian Championship games. In my opinion this was probably the biggest home game for TFC all season. They have a chance of winning the Canadian Championship, but have next to no chance of getting any other trophy or getting a CCC spot any other way.

13 minutes ago, Kingston said:

The CPL website posts attendances of 20 173 in Toronto and 10 966 in Vancouver for last night's games.  This brings the total for 2024 to 131 530 which is good for second place all time.  We need about 25 000 in the final to take over first place in all time attendance from 2019 (back when there were 24 games instead of 19 this year).

With TFC and the Whitecaps advancing, interleague play is over for the 2024 edition of the Canadian Championship.  We have:

MLS teams going 3-0 against D3 opponents to bring the all time score in that category to 4-0 for MLS.

CPL teams going 1-1 against D3 opponents to split the year.  CPL teams are now 9 wins, 3 losses, and 1 draw all time against D3 opponents.

MLS teams going 4-3-1 (WLD) against CPL teams which is very impressive for the CPL teams.  The MLS teams now lead the all time series 20-5-3 (WLD).

No way did it seem like BMO was that full, the South Stands were sparsely occupied besides the centre of 114, North end was empty and from what I could see most of the rest of the stadium was barely half full! I don't know what has happened to the TFC Supporters groups, maybe it's just a V's Cup thing but Red Patch, U-Sector and Kings were not represented well!