2024 Voyageurs Cup

Posted (edited)

We were bound to loose one at some point but this about the worse time to do it. Its a real shame to have assembled the squad we have and not test against MLS competition.

I guess this year's CanChamp is one to be forgotten for me, as there is bound to be one every now and then I guess. I still want ATO to be the first CPL club to make the final and for TFC to not win an eight title (As far I am, and a ton of non-TFC or Forge fans are, concerned the ''2020 Canadian Championship'' was a travesty that shouldn't have been played and doesn't count in any way) so go Whitecaps I guess?

*sigh*

Edited by phil03

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are there any provisional dates for the first leg?

I had read it was supposed to be the 2nd week of July.

Looks like July 9 or 10 for the first leg and August 27 or 28 for the second.

The best possible draw for these teams from a rivalry perspective.  All four stadiums will enjoy a good atmosphere with travelling support for the away team.  I expect big crowds in all four stadiums.

Based on current form, I think the most likely chance for an upset would be Pacific over Vancouver.

2 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Looks like July 9 or 10 for the first leg and August 27 or 28 for the second.

13 minutes ago, Kingston said:

The best possible draw for these teams from a rivalry perspective.  All four stadiums will enjoy a good atmosphere with travelling support for the away team.  I expect big crowds in all four stadiums.

Based on current form, I think the most likely chance for an upset would be Pacific over Vancouver.

Agreed, but these draws don't seem random. Doubt there was someone from PWC making sure this draw was legit. Huge time spread is annoying. Not sure who it benefits, but the MLS teams will likely have been sitting idle for three weeks in August, unless they go deep into the Leagues Cup tournament. They will play a league game the prior weekend, so I guess that balances it out a little, fatigue-wise.

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

Agreed, though I think we'll see a stronger team rolled out by the Whitecaps to start than we did vs Cavalry.  Although the first leg falls in a stretch of 4 games in 11 days, all road games, which makes it tricky.

With the quarter finals done and fourteen games in the books, the total attendance for the tournament so far is 83 947 or an average of 5996 per game.

We'd need 73 000 fans in the final five games (just under 15 k per game) to break the highest year attendance record of 156 000.

TFC and the Whitecaps should both break 15 k.  I expect Forge to be over 10 k.  Pacific physically can't get anywhere near 15 k but I hope they can come up over 5 k.  That would get us within striking distance of the record with a big final game crowd, especially if some of these estimated numbers rounded upward.

(The second highest all time attendance was 114 360 which we should easily surpass.)

4 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

You can watch Jordan and Wheeler pluck the balls at random yourself on the OneSoccer feed of last night's game if you like.

It seems to have been left out of the post-game analysis video... At least I couldn't find it scrolling through. I'm not really a tinfoil hat guy, and it was a 1 in 3 chance, but it's just really lucky that everyone got what they wanted.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kingston said:

With the quarter finals done and fourteen games in the books, the total attendance for the tournament so far is 83 947 or an average of 5996 per game.

We'd need 73 000 fans in the final five games (just under 15 k per game) to break the highest year attendance record of 156 000.

TFC and the Whitecaps should both break 15 k.  I expect Forge to be over 10 k.  Pacific physically can't get anywhere near 15 k but I hope they can come up over 5 k.  That would get us within striking distance of the record with a big final game crowd, especially if some of these estimated numbers rounded upward.

(The second highest all time attendance was 114 360 which we should easily surpass.)

I'm not sure I'd say both TFC and the Whitecaps will break 15k. The mid-week games against CPL sides are just not a draw. Whitecaps vs Cavalry was 11k, and it was included in the season ticket package (season tickets this year are 16k). The Pacific game will not be.

Edited by Watchmen

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It seems to have been left out of the post-game analysis video... At least I couldn't find it scrolling through. I'm not really a tinfoil hat guy, and it was a 1 in 3 chance, but it's just really lucky that everyone got what they wanted.

Not everyone.  I like it but there were people hoping for an MLS semi and a CPL semi so that a CPL team would be guaranteed to make the final.

17 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Not everyone.  I like it but there were people hoping for an MLS semi and a CPL semi so that a CPL team would be guaranteed to make the final.

I would've been very content to draw another CPL team at this stage. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I would've been very content to draw another CPL team at this stage. 

Likewise. I should have said, 'the teams' rather than 'everyone'.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not sure I'd say both TFC and the Whitecaps will break 15k. The mid-week games against CPL sides are just not a draw. Whitecaps vs Cavalry was 11k, and it was included in the season ticket package (season tickets this year are 16k). The Pacific game will not be.

Fair points. 

I’m actually anticipating good crowds for both of the Ontario games.  I’m certainly thinking something over 15 k for TFC, especially given the expectation of some travelling support for Forge.  And the Forge fans tend to show up in numbers for the big games with, again, the expectation of some travelling support to boost the numbers.  You could be right, though, that the two BC games would have lower attendances.

42 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Fair points. 

I’m actually anticipating good crowds for both of the Ontario games.  I’m certainly thinking something over 15 k for TFC, especially given the expectation of some travelling support for Forge.  And the Forge fans tend to show up in numbers for the big games with, again, the expectation of some travelling support to boost the numbers.  You could be right, though, that the two BC games would have lower attendances.

I agree that Pacific will likely sell out the Whitecaps game, and definitely the final if they pull the upset.

Whitecaps hosting local rival is now a first, and I'll be interested to see what the crowd is like. Hopefully it's good.

You would think Forge should be able to get at the very least 12000 for their home game versus TFC in this one no? The only drawback is that this will be a weeknight game that can factor into the attendance number . You have a very good CPL team a dynasty in the CPL playing an MLS team which is basically just down the street a rivalry, therefore no excuse other than it being a weeknight game .

Posted (edited)

It will be very interesting to see the amount Pacific fans at BC Place. Some travelling of course but don't discount the amount of Victoria and Islands folks who live in the lower mainland. Its gotta be close to 100 thousand. Pacific are a pretty established entity on the Island now and it might be an opportunity for the first time ever, Island people to plant their flag in iconic BCPlace . I'm not predicting anything but there might be something there. 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

It will be very interesting to see the amount Pacific fans at BC Place. Some travelling of course but don't discount the amount of Victoria and Islands folks who live in the lower mainland. Its gotta be close to 100 thousand. Pacific are a pretty established entity on the Island now and it might be an opportunity for the first time ever, Island people to plant their flag in iconic BCPlace . I'm not predicting anything but there might be something there. 

I’m sure there will be some Pacific fans and I’d be happy to see a large contingent, but remember, we are talking about a team that only draws 3000 to its own home games. 

On 5/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, Kingston said:

The CSA has not published the ranking formula anywhere I have found.

Based on the ranking order they did release, I infer that the rankings include more than one year worth of results.  This would be consistent with how this type of ranking is normally done.  Also, in past years they have explicitly said that teams received byes (or whatever) based on last year's standings so that fact that they're now calling it a ranking system would further imply a multi-year approach.

According to Wikipedia, it's based on the last 3 years.

Ranking Index[edit]

Ahead of this edition of the competition, Canada Soccer created the Canadian Championship Club Ranking Index. The index uses a weighted ranking of the past three years' competitive results in the Canadian Championship. Each professional team receives its own ranking while League1 Canada's component leagues each receive a league ranking that is used by their representative team. In the preliminary round, the team with the highest ranking will host the single knockout game; in the quarter and semi-final rounds, the team with the highest ranking will host the second game of the two-legged tie.[1][2]

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I’m sure there will be some Pacific fans and I’d be happy to see a large contingent, but remember, we are talking about a team that only draws 3000 to its own home games. 

Yah but the downtown area is filled with young people who move over from the Island to live that lifestyle. I'm just saying they may see it as a chance to rep their hometown. I know a couple guys who married gals from Victoria and everytime they go over to see the in-laws they check out a Pacific game. It's kinda like that type of thing. Just knowing that type of dynamic I'm interested to see how it plays out

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I’m sure they will but was surprised with the low turnout against a very good Ottawa team the other night , just imagined that   Pacific stadium being packed for such a fixture against that Ottawa team.

13 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I've never gotten the impression that many islanders went that direction. I thought we avoided Vancouver whenever possible.