Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

Just to answer the one question about whether Marsch would be interested or not, roughly ten (?) years ago he approached the CSA with his comprehensive plan for how to make Canadian soccer great. He wanted the job! The CSA did not hire him. Who knows why exactly. Maybe he was too expensive, too American, not English enough, not named Javier.

I like hiring a guy who ticks a lot of the boxes we need AND had the audacity and drive to submit his blueprint for transforming our program and our performances on the field. I feel that while Marsch might not be a massive step up from Herdman that he could very well be the right person for the job at this moment. 

5 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Just to answer the one question about whether Marsch would be interested or not, roughly ten (?) years ago he approached the CSA with his comprehensive plan for how to make Canadian soccer great. He wanted the job! The CSA did not hire him. Who knows why exactly. Maybe he was too expensive, too American, not English enough, not named Javier.

I like hiring a guy who ticks a lot of the boxes we need AND had the audacity and drive to submit his blueprint for transforming our program and our performances on the field. I feel that while Marsch might not be a massive step up from Herdman that he could very well be the right person for the job at this moment. 

I unironically really like him. I know we have fundamental objections to Americans in the job on here but we need to look past that.

We need 2 things more than anything in my opinion:

1) a clear vision of how we are playing

2) a coach that make, cajole, trick (whatever) our biggest players into buying into roles in that system.  We aren't going to win big things on depth but we can win if our best players play lights out in roles that suit them.   

He wants to play certain ways and he has experience at the highest level with some well-paid players.

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On a lighter note,

Hansi Flick has reportedly been rejected by Barca.

Ambassador Davies get on the blower and make that happen. 

Fortunately we have no reason to rethink Xavi, who's been a disaster imo. 

I don't like Flick for Canada. I prefer a younger guy, I'd take Nagelsmann for example: I'm older than both but I'm ageist, I like the idea of a younger coach who has a bit of spark and freshness. 

It looks like Barça will give the job to Rafa Márquez. I think he deserves it and maybe has a better football mind than the coach we have now.

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Fortunately we have no reason to rethink Xavi, who's been a disaster imo. 

I don't like Flick for Canada. I prefer a younger guy, I'd take Nagelsmann for example: I'm older than both but I'm ageist, I like the idea of a younger coach who has a bit of spark and freshness. 

It looks like Barça will give the job to Rafa Márquez. I think he deserves it and maybe has a better football mind than the coach we have now.

All out of our league if we are honest, hence the joke but Nagelsmann even more so.  Headed back to Bayern or maybe Liverpool.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

All out of our league if we are honest, hence the joke but Nagelsmann even more so.  Headed back to Bayern or maybe Liverpool.

Decent of you to wait until the end of the West Ham game to post.

I really think it could all depend on what a person might want for the next two years. It's two years, you play Copa, Gold Cup in 2025, World Cup. A nice stint, you may be far from your salary expectations, but it is still an experience many coaches would love to have. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Decent of you to wait until the end of the West Ham game to post.

I really think it could all depend on what a person might want for the next two years. It's two years, you play Copa, Gold Cup in 2025, World Cup. A nice stint, you may be far from your salary expectations, but it is still an experience many coaches would love to have. 

True but not if you are young and a Champions League coach already, his agent all but confirmed Bayern offered him the job and he is mulling it over. Might be agent talk but pretty silly if there is not truth in it. 

21 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

True but not if you are young and a Champions League coach already, his agent all but confirmed Bayern offered him the job and he is mulling it over. Might be agent talk but pretty silly if there is not truth in it. 

What is more, a guy who has value like a coach can't be capricious, as his agent won't let him. Or his reps and assistants. You are often responsible for the livelilhood of a few more people, many of these guys have their assistant, their goalkeeper coach, physios, others; so while I'd like to think a coach could take a serious pay decrease for a cool project, there are limits. 

It is true that coaches are not on such clear career curves as players, which tend to rise slightly over their 20s and then dip, and last just 15 years. Coaches can work for 30, and will have sharper ups and downs, but they won't normally devalue themselves dramatically. 

Totally get our financial predicament, but if want to grow the game, increase viewership, attract casuals etc the CSA needs to invest. Pele's contract was not with the Cosmos but with the media group that owned the club. Not the same situation: soccer God v  high profile coach, but creativity and thinking outside of the box is what we need. There are going to be some high profile games in Canada prior to WC2026. There's a good probability the CSA will make some good coin in the lead up to the WC

21 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

They make a good case for Smyrniotis and I get a good vibe from him but I still wonder how he can leap over Biello.  As I said before Biello has coached at a higher domestic level and has experience with the NT, hardly seems fair or logical.

This is an excellent point. Smyrniotis' next step should be MLS and not the nat team. 

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Javier more of a baseball name in any case

Javier / Xavier /Xabier/  all are a  full through and through french basque name,  means the energetic and optimistic one,  the luminous one.  

Saviola 

Zanetti 

Mascherano  

Alonso

Bardem

Hernandez esp and mex

Aguirre

Pastore

Simmons

Urruti

Clémente 

Correa

Margairaz

all footballer 

So I have a probably unpopular hot take here, but please bear with me:

I have yet to hear or read any case made for Smyrniotis or Wheldon that isn't made by OneSoccer, one of the media more or less gravitating around OneSoccer, a podcast given by someone who also do videos and/or write articles for OneSoccer or by someone that I either know for a fact (or at least the circumstances strongly lead me to believe) is a CPL-first fan when it come to club game in Canada.

Overall the take outside of those groups is the same respectful skepticism we have seen in this thread: they have the potential but we want them to get experience at a higher level first.

If you are someone who doesn't fit that definition and would like Bobby or Wheldon or if you have come across some kind of media piece making the case for them that don't fit what I have outlined above please feel to correct me.

So perhaps, maybe, just mayyyybbbeee the awessome love for the league these fans and media have created a bias that blinded them to the fact that hiring Bobby or Wheldon might not be the best choice for Canadian Soccer as a whole or even the CPL specifically. Because the vibe would only be good if we do well. If not I guarantee they will turn sour real quick and that a lot of fingers will be directed at the guy who they would dub the ''CPL coach''.

Edited by phil03

3 hours ago, phil03 said:

So I have a probably unpopular hot take here, but please bear with me:

I have yet to hear or read any case made for Smyrniotis or Wheldon that isn't made by OneSoccer, one of the media more or less gravitating around OneSoccer, a podcast given by someone who also do videos and/or write articles for OneSoccer or by someone that I either know for a fact (or at least the circumstances strongly lead me to believe) is a CPL-first fan when it come to club game in Canada.

Overall the take outside of those groups is the same respectful skepticism we have seen in this thread: they have the potential but we want them to get experience at a higher level first.

If you are someone who doesn't fit that definition and would like Bobby or Wheldon or if you have come across some kind of media piece making the case for them that don't fit what I have outlined above please feel to correct me.

So perhaps, maybe, just mayyyybbbeee the awessome love for the league these fans and media have created a bias that blinded them to the fact that hiring Bobby or Wheldon might not be the best choice for Canadian Soccer as a whole or even the CPL specifically. Because the vibe would only be good if we do well. If not I guarantee they will turn sour real quick and that a lot of fingers will be directed at the guy who they would dub the ''CPL coach''.

Not to mention either of those guys sees a massive pay increase to take the job. I prefer the motivation to be different. Not a gift. Take a guy already making 400,000 and give him 550,000 for each of two years, plus bonuses. 

If Panama had not qualified for Copa, Christensen would be the guy.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

The domestic guy we should be going after is Nancy.

But this is probably the wrong time for him to be a national team manager. 

Just signed a 3 year extension with Columbus yesterday. He would be the ideal choice, but he won’t be available for some time and I would assume he ends up in Europe before long. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just signed a 3 year extension with Columbus yesterday. He would be the ideal choice, but he won’t be available for some time and I would assume he ends up in Europe before long. 

I think he should try his luck in Europe first. Then come to the CanMNT later.

I have huge respect for Bobby Smyrniotis as a coach, he is is great tactician and man manager in the CPL, I have had several in depth conversations with him and he is very personable and he relishes discussion with someone with a coaching background! However, I don't think it is his time yet to take this huge step, I would like to see him get experience elsewhere at a higher level, I could be wrong, maybe he would be just what we need but I am doubtful at this time!