Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

4 hours ago, gator said:

We dodged a bullet there if he was in fact considered, I don't hate on the guy but I certainly don't think he would be a good fit at all and I don't want to hear "Frank Lampard's Canada"! 😀

An incredible playing career. No doubt.

From a managerial stand point, so far like Gerrard and a couple of other ex big name PL players, Lampard has had so much protection from buddies in the press and big opportunies without much merit. He has ultimately flopped everywhere. 

Derby is his best performance. However he inhereted a fantastic set up at Derby County, a team that had been geared for promotion foe a while. He also received backing with three big signings in Waghorn, and Ashley Cole plus 7 more including big loans in Tomori, Mason Mount and Harry Wilson. They were one of the favourites to get promoted, they scraped into the playoffs by a point, ultimately falling to Villa in the final. 

When he left for Chelsea Lampards record was actually worse than both his predecessors Gary Rowett and Steve Maclaren.

Chelsea gave him a tricky hand with the transfer ban but he also inherited and incredible squad and more so an embarrasment of riches in there reserves and youth systems. A 4th finishand FA Cup final was good in a challenging season but more was expected. He went backwards quickly in the second season, falling out with players and down the table, subsequently getting fired.

At Everton he took a team 4 points off relegation and managed to avoid relegation on the last day of the season. Season two, same story as Chelsea. Sinking fast and spiraling horribly, fired. Again maybe dealt a tricky hand but was backed with well over $100m spent on transfers.

I a move almost as baffling as Newcastle hiring the late great Joe Kinnear (RIP) he returned to Chelsea to mastermind both the first bottom-half finish since 1996 and a record low points total and goals scored in the PL era. He was dismissed leabing with the worst win record (9%) of any Chelsea manager. 

From day one he has seemed out of his depth managerially imo. 

To me Henry would have been a better appointment and I want neither. At least Henry has international coaching experience.

Lampard does have experience working with some of the best in the world, handling big egos (didn't always go well) but more importantly a history of working with youth which I could see ticking some boxes for us. 

There are lots of unknowns stepping into an international job though and some people can excel without the burden of transfers. I have never seen anyone suggesting his is an innovative coach though. Just the archetypal British clogger run and play hard manager that is tremendously overhyped by the British press and pundits.

Happy to see it's not happening.

Edited by toontownman

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

An incredible playing career. No doubt.

From a managerial stand point, so far like Gerrard and a couple of other ex big name PL players, Lampard has had so much protection from buddies in the press and big opportunies without much merit. He has ultimately flopped everywhere. 

Derby is his best performance. However he inhereted a fantastic set up at Derby County, a team that had been geared for promotion foe a while. He also received backing with three big signings in Waghorn, and Ashley Cole plus 7 more including big loans in Tomori, Mason Mount and Harry Wilson. They were one of the favourites to get promoted, they scraped into the playoffs by a point, ultimately falling to Villa in the final. 

When he left for Chelsea Lampards record was actually worse than both his predecessors Gary Rowett and Steve Maclaren.

Chelsea gave him a tricky hand with the transfer ban but he also inherited and incredible squad and more so an embarrasment of riches in there reserves and youth systems. A 4th finishand FA Cup final was good in a challenging season but more was expected. He went backwards quickly in the second season, falling out with players and down the table, subsequently getting fired.

At Everton he took a team 4 points off relegation and managed to avoid relegation on the last day of the season. Season two, same story as Chelsea. Sinking fast and spiraling horribly, fired. Again maybe dealt a tricky hand but was backed with well over $100m spent on transfers.

I a move almost as baffling as Newcastle hiring the late great Joe Kinnear (RIP) he returned to Chelsea to mastermind both the first bottom-half finish since 1996 and a record low points total and goals scored in the PL era. He was dismissed leabing with the worst win record (9%) of any Chelsea manager. 

From day one he has seemed out of his depth managerially imo. 

To me Henry would have been a better appointment and I want neither. At least Henry has international coaching experience.

Lampard does have experience working with some of the best in the world, handling big egos (didn't always go well) but more importantly a history of working with youth which I could see ticking some boxes for us. 

There are lots of unknowns stepping into an international job though and some people can excel without the burden of transfers. I have never seen anyone suggesting his is an innovative coach though. Just the archetypal British clogger run and play hard manager that is tremendously overhyped by the British press and pundits.

Happy to see it's not happening.

I've watched plenty of former players coach, and Lampard is not anywhere near the worst out there. I am not saying he is ideal for Canada, just that there are plenty out there who would not even do that well.

I am not sure what Lampard did after retiring, but I highly recommend those guys who go coach a u-16, an u19 at a club, go up to the reserves, then start looking for a first team job somewhere into their early 40s. Too many are given a free pass into levels that are too high for them and they get to learn on the job, often with mediocre results. I'm looking at Raul (González Blanco), the great Madrid striker, he started in 2018 with their u-19s, and is on his fifth season as the B team coach, in Spanish 3rd tier. Some years better than others. Still, that is 250 games coached, a lot of young talent, the day to day grind, ups and downs, not very glamorous at all, a relatively low salary, he's 46--and he's probably ready to take a first team somewhere. I have no idea if he'll be a great coach, but at least he is showing he can pay his dues and is not trying to fast-track on the basis of his reputation or take short cuts when it comes to coaching experience.

Graham Potter was mentioned by the One Soccer guys as a rumour.  

Impressed with his ability to work with what he had, pick a young player and be very tactically flexible (though usually using 3 at the back) at Brighton.

Poison chalice at Chelsea? Hard to judge.

Whether it went good or bad, probably not here beyond the World Cup but that might be okay.

No idea if  there is even a fragment of truth to it. 

Graham Potter would be an incredible appointment. Would have thought he is up next for England though after the summer. 

Very progressive and innovative coach. Tainted by Chelsea for sure but hugely succesful and transformational at previous clubs.

Out of everyone linked he would be hugely exciting. I don't see it being possible. 

If the type of wages for the likes of Lampard/potter are on the table then I would totally chance and arm on Benitez. His stock fell badly post Newcastle but he is usually a project drive manager that does things for the right reasons. He would have the vision and experience to come in as manager but also be a technical director that would oversee all age levels in the men's game. It was the main reason he picked Newcastle to shock of most. Whether he has that hunger any more is a big question mark.

His family has been settled in the merseyside area and previously he didn't want to leave the UK. He did end up managing in China and Spain though. 

On the pitch, while he has got criticism for his defensive style (floro alert) his style is based on the players he had. Given our underdog billing and pace I think we would line up incredibly well to Benitez preferred tactics. 

Moot point as he is never coming to Canada but needed to muse it out of my system. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Impressed with his ability to work with what he had, pick a young player and be very tactically flexible (though usually using 3 at the back) at Brighton.

Whether it went good or bad, probably not here beyond the World Cup but that might be okay.

Potter recently rejected Ajax. I dont know if that means he has higher ambitions which would surely knock out canada or maybe he wants to transition to international footy which helps us? 

A dream coach but unlikely imo. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Is Jesse Marsh in the mix? Should he be?

This could be a good fit and transition.  He's got a bit of that Herdman motivation thing going with more to offer on the tactical side as well.

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Where was this said?

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Is Jesse Marsh in the mix? Should he be?

It's funny, but a spread in talent (and salary) between a Davies and a Waterman makes it sound a lot like an MLS gig; a successful candidate has to to manage and get the most out of that massive gulf in quality and the enormous range of egos and expectations.

A lot of the flashier candidate names this forum tends to salivate over have managed similar quality players to Davies; arguably few have performed wizardry in getting a guy like Waterman (who I quite admire fwiw) able to punch well above his weight and play seamlessly with the stars.

I think in the end it will be  a Jesse Marsch level type of coach they sign . If it was Marsch I don’t think it would be a bad fit. Has coached in Canada with Montreal in the MLS , he has an understanding of the North American player and just what these players go through being brought up in the soccer world on this side of the world . Has had a decent career coaching here and in Europe. In the end if they are going to make a change and get a new coach I would like it to be done now so that they can have a chance of coaching them in the Copa America .

18 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I think in the end it will be  a Jesse Marsch level type of coach they sign . If it was Marsch I don’t think it would be a bad fit. Has coached in Canada with Montreal in the MLS , he has an understanding of the North American player and just what these players go through being brought up in the soccer world on this side of the world . Has had a decent career coaching here and in Europe. In the end if they are going to make a change and get a new coach I would like it to be done now so that they can have a chance of coaching them in the Copa America .

Would Jesse Marsch be interested in the job in the first place .  I am not sure if this is true but he does a have a beef with US Soccer and man oh man coaching Canada and maybe getting some revenge on the Americans will something he would want