Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

Ok...

The "it could be worse than Biello" PR offensive is in full flow.

I would honestly be devastated if we wasted this opportunity with someone like Lampard. Would almost rather have Biello stick... see the strategy is already working!

2 hours ago, Shway said:

This is exactly what I expected to see.
Someone with just a name, trying to make a name. Henry falls in this category too. 

Everything that glitters isn't gold, and some tigers are better left wild. 

Pulling out of my personal views and the fact he probably lost us Tomori (maybe), I am trying to evaluate him on his record.  

TL:DR

- Playoffs but lost in one full season in the Championship with Derby

- Chelsea Year 1 - FA Cup final, lost in CL last 16 and finished 4th, under a transfer ban. 

- 2nd year - Fired when 9th in January, won their CL group. 

- Everton - Finishing 16th his first year, fired when they were 19th in January (after we beat them.)

- Chelsea caretaker - Started 11th, finished 12th won 1 game.

- Derby did okay in the Championship, with a lot of Chelsea and other connections helping them (Tomori, Mount and Harry Wilson, might be others?). Finished 6th and lost in the playoffs.  

- With Chelsea, in the middle of the lockdowns so was a bit strange. 

First year - They were under a transfer ban so only Kovacic came in from an earlier deal, though a bunch came back from loans.  Lost in the 4th round of the League Cup to Man U, got to the FA Cup final and lost to Arsenal,  then right after got destroyed by Bayern the last 16 of the Champions League (those were a couple of the games that announced Davies to England).  Ended up taking 4th in the Premier League.   Did play a lot of their kids. 

Second half year - Signed Havertz, Timo Werner, Ben Chilwell,  Ziyech, Edouard Mendy, Malang Sarr, Thiago Silva.  Lost to Spurs in the 4th Round of the League Cup, won FA Cup 4th Round game before being fired.  Were 9th then. Tuchel took over and won the Champions League and finished 4th. 

- With Everton went January to January - When he over took they were 14th and finished 16th, Palace knocked them out of the quarterfinals of the FA Cup. Bought or signed a number of players include Onana from Lille.  The next season they lost to Bournemouth in the 2nd round of the League Cup. Lost in the FA Cup 4th Round to Man U. Was fired when they were 19th.  Ended up 17th under Sean Dyche.

- Chelsea caretaker, took over in April, won 1 game and drew 2 in May.  9 league games total. Lost in the Champions League Quarterfinals to Real Madrid.  Finished 12th. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

17 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

no way do not want GIF by CBC

What candidate that comes up isn't going to be a hard pass?  Some of you summarily reject candidates if they are a so called "big name".  

We're Canada and our federation is bankrupt so we can't pay anything to secure the services of a manager.  I think a manager with some warts is a pre requisite for consideration.  I don't think too many top managers are going to take a 90% pay cut to come manager our national team!

Getting into the championship playoffs is a big accomplishment.  Lampard's first year Chelsea was quite good.  Second not good, but they haven't been very good since he left and I wouldn't glean too much about his time the second go around when he came in and the season was over and the players had given up.

His time at Everton wasn't great, but it wasn't really more than 1 standard deviation away from what you would expect.  Everton are 15th in the table sitting on 29 point in a relegation battle this year too. 

So with Lampard you have the necessary warts, but also it hasn't been all bad.  He's a player that obviously played at the highest level under some great managers.  He's 45 years old.  What he does have is a tremendous amount of experience for a young man managing at the highest level.   I would suspect being a young manager is like being a young player.  You make a lot of mistakes.  Getting the most out of players and getting the tactics right is obviously challenging.  People learn through failure.  That's why the experience factor is important. 

Now it's entirely possible many of you just don't like Lampard or his personality and would reject him right off the hop.

Any name that comes up shouldn't be judged against what your dream candidate would be, but rather is he a better fit than Biello. 

Many would prefer someone with experience in Concacaf rather than a big name from Europe.  I get it.  I'm not really advocating one way or the other.  Mostly just a bit of random rambling thoughts whilst I drink my morning coffee..lol  

Edited by prairiecanuck

12 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

What candidate that comes up isn't going to be a hard pass?  Some of you summarily reject candidates if they are a so called "big name".  

We're Canada and our federation is bankrupt so we can't pay anything to secure the services of a manager.  I think a manager with some warts is a pre requisite for consideration.  I don't think too many top managers are going to take a 90% pay cut to come manager our national team!

Getting into the championship playoffs is a big accomplishment.  Lampard's first year Chelsea was quite good.  Second not good, but they haven't been very good since he left and I wouldn't glean too much about his time the second go around when he came in and the season was over and the players had given up.

His time at Everton wasn't great, but it wasn't really more than 1 standard deviation away from what you would expect.  Everton are 15th in the table sitting on 29 point in a relegation battle this year too. 

So with Lampard you have the necessary warts, but also it hasn't been all bad.  He's a player that obviously played at the highest level under some great managers.  He's 45 years old.  What he does have is a tremendous amount of experience for a young man managing at the highest level.   I would suspect being a young manager is like being a young player.  You make a lot of mistakes.  Getting the most out of players and getting the tactics is obviously challenging.  People learn through failure.  That's why the experience factor is important. 

Now it's entirely possible many of you just don't like Lampard or his personality and would reject him right off the hop.

Any name that comes up shouldn't be judged against what your dream candidate would be, but rather is he a better fit than Biello. 

Many would prefer someone with experience in Concacaf rather than a big name from Europe.  I get it.  I'm not really advocating one way or the other.  Mostly just a bit of random rambling whilst I drink my morning coffee..lol  

Invoking this name every two weeks: Janne Andersson.

Group stage record at major tournaments : 4-1-1. Went through both times.

Experience with Sweden - and interest in Ireland job - suggest that his pay demands are not likely to be Ancelotti-level.

5 minutes ago, gkhs said:

Invoking this name every two weeks: Janne Andersson.

Group stage record at major tournaments : 4-1-1. Went through both times.

Experience with Sweden - and interest in Ireland job - suggest that his pay demands are not likely to be Ancelotti-level.

That would be a desirable candidate if he had some interest for sure.  Lots of experience at the international level and he has experience having to deal with the biggest ego in the game, so he should be able to manage the egos on our National team..lol 

13 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

That would be a desirable candidate if he had some interest for sure.  Lots of experience at the international level and he has experience having to deal with the biggest ego in the game, so he should be able to manage the egos on our National team..lol 

I had not even thought of that part, good point. 😀

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

I  agree with this part of your post.

What I gleaned from the rest of your post was that Lampard made no difference to the teams he managed. Their records were basically the same with or without him. So what the hell do we need to hire him? Let's keep Biello, and that statement comes from someone not a Biello fan.

Edited by Sal333

Just asking.  I think Bobby S is an interesting candidate who could bring some new approaches but I have a hard time believing that he would be elevated above somebody else who coached at a higher level domestically and is already doing the job in the Canadian system.

How do others see Smyrniotis getting the job over Biello?  Unlike my positive Herdman vibes, my vibes tell me Mauro isn't the man for the job.   I don't see bad, I don't see great I just see middle ground.  Am I wrong?

Could this finally be the time for the infamous John van 't Schip head coach of Ajax until the end of the 2023–24 season (concludes on May 19 2024).

14 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Just asking.  I think Bobby S is an interesting candidate who could bring some new approaches but I have a hard time believing that he would be elevated above somebody else who coached at a higher level domestically and is already doing the job in the Canadian system.

How do others see Smyrniotis getting the job over Biello?  Unlike my positive Herdman vibes, my vibes tell me Mauro isn't the man for the job.   I don't see bad, I don't see great I just see middle ground.  Am I wrong?

Could this finally be the time for the infamous John van 't Schip head coach of Ajax until the end of the 2023–24 season (concludes on May 19 2024).

We stole Ajax's two best players and they just got mullered 6-0 by Feyenoord, so maybe.

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Posted a while back on this. Quite possible he has changed his mind and would seriously consider the Canada job. Depends how much he has enjoyed it. It was his late wife's wish for him to go back to Ajax. He is due to take a technical job there in the summer,that he was taking before they asked him to step in as interim manager. 

He would be a top candidate for us if he is interested imo.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/john-van-t-schip-speaks-about-his-late-wifes-wish-being-fulfilled-after-joining-ajax-38489589