Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

1 minute ago, jhoops__ said:

They’ve been actively searching for a coach for over 6 months so I’m guessing a lot of the leg work has been done.  I’m hoping they’ve narrowed down the search to a few candidates and now that we’ve qualified for Copa we can move forward rather quickly on this front.   

Not disagreeing but I wasnt sure how active this search was.

My understanding is they want to bring in a headhunting firm and thats tough to do without the paremeters that @Watchmen referenced. I do hope there has been some qualification checks tho! 

58 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

They’ve been actively searching for a coach for over 6 months so I’m guessing a lot of the leg work has been done.  I’m hoping they’ve narrowed down the search to a few candidates and now that we’ve qualified for Copa we can move forward rather quickly on this front.   

I'm sure there's a short list, but at the same time I suspect there's possibly new candidate of interest *because* we qualified for the Copa.  They should still accelerate the process though.

Maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for Mauro as I have seen him grow up with the Impact at Claude Robillard stadium coming in the final 10-15 minutes of the game at the beginning of his career in the 90's (his speed really stood out). That's why I wouldn't mind him staying as assistant coach (being familiar with the players) if he's not kept and we get a new coach. Now if he wants or the new coach wants is another story.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

I saw that in Sport or El Periódico today, and thought the same thing. 

We could hire him for Copa, but we'd have to pay him half a million. Half a milion for the friendlies, Copa, then let him decide. As a gesture of good will. Then he'd help us leverage the friendlies at home to generate revenue. And of course his presence would attract sponsors, interest from outside. 

We probably do not have more than a million for that post, and we don't have enough for his assistants. Too bad, it'd be a fun ride.

5 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for Mauro as I have seen him grow up with the Impact at Claude Robillard stadium coming in the final 10-15 minutes of the game at the beginning of his career in the 90's (his speed really stood out). That's why I wouldn't mind him staying as assistant coach (being familiar with the players) if he's not kept and we get a new coach. Now if he wants or the new coach wants is another story.

This so similar to the west coast sentiment that had many embracing Dale Mitchell against all reason, even after poor results with the U20s.

9 minutes ago, nolando said:

This so similar to the west coast sentiment that had many embracing Dale Mitchell against all reason, even after poor results with the U20s.

Mitchell got the job because he did so well with the U20s (the 2003 and 2005 editions).

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Mitchell got the job because he did so well with the U20s (the 2003 and 2005 editions).

Screenshot_20240326_200735_Chrome.jpg.04173220a5ac2e76eb05d27972138835.jpg

I was one who loved him as a player, and had my own west coast bias, but still felt that the 05 and 07 results demonsrated he had no business coaching the MNT.  He was in charge of all three, right? 

10 minutes ago, nolando said:

Screenshot_20240326_200735_Chrome.jpg.04173220a5ac2e76eb05d27972138835.jpg

I was one who loved him as a player, and had my own west coast bias, but still felt that the 05 and 07 results demonsrated he had no business coaching the MNT.  He was in charge of all three, right? 

They named him before the 2007 U20 World Cup took place.

Even if you weren't happy with the 2005 results, he still qualified Canada for the U20 World Cup. In qualifying we topped a group that included Mexico.

That was actually the last time Canada has ever qualified for the U20 World Cup too, sadly. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_CONCACAF_U-20_Tournament

It was only after the 2007 U20 World Cup debacle that Mitchell complaints started to grow.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They named him before the 2007 U20 World Cup took place.

Even if you weren't happy with the 2005 results, he still qualified Canada for the U20 World Cup. In qualifying we topped a group that included Mexico.

That was actually the last time Canada has ever qualified for the U20 World Cup too, sadly. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_CONCACAF_U-20_Tournament

It was only after the 2007 U20 World Cup debacle that Mitchell complaints started to grow.

It seems like context might be important here. I wonder if we should apply it to any other scenarios?

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm guessing Bobby S. is out of the conversation?

Don't think he measures up to Mauro Biello in experience terms given Biello has coached in MLS and at U-20 national team level. CSA and CSB aren't best buds any more so the Forge angle is less likely to be helpful to his cause than it might have been four or five years ago when a McMaster University prof would have been a key part of the decision making process.

14 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Not disagreeing but I wasnt sure how active this search was.

My understanding is they want to bring in a headhunting firm...

^^^based on voices inside his head or has this been reported somewhere credible? Also begs the question why they would need to wait for a new CEO if they were going to do it through a headhunting process that the CSA board could use to do all the legwork that they can't do between their meetings.

10 hours ago, nolando said:

So you wouldn't want Mauro even for assistant coach?

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^based on voices inside his head or has this been reported somewhere credible? Also begs the question why they would need to wait for a new CEO if they were going to do it through a headhunting process that the CSA board could use to do all the legwork that they can't do between their meetings.

Stop commenting on my posts. No one respects you here. 

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Btw Biello was not Herdman's right hand man as Wheeler mentioned. That was Eric Tenllado, the tactical guy on the coaching team. JH used to confer with ET  :) a lot during games. I rarely ever saw him consulting with Biello. Just saying.

I always felt Herdman was the motivator and Tenllado was the tactician. I think Tenllado was the bigger lose.

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Btw Biello was not Herdman's right hand man as Wheeler mentioned. That was Eric Tenllado, the tactical guy on the coaching team. JH used to confer with ET  :) a lot during games. I rarely ever saw him consulting with Biello. Just saying.

The fact that Herdman brought Tenllado (and almost the entire CanMNT staff) with him to TFC but left Biello behind speaks to this point.

the csa will drag this along until they say.we jus dont enough time to get another guy in we are not a serious soccer nation.they should of moved on from him after the 2nd Jam game. lets go get your act together

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

So you wouldn't want Mauro even for assistant coach?

Not me. I would rather we start fresh with a calculated choice, not a bandaid solution or an afterthought, and if the results are even halfway positive, we ride that through to 26.