Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

21 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Unless you're Herdman, and even John kept saying he was under contract to 2026,  I dont think most coaches will put it out there that they want to leave. 

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to put out feelers or even use the typical PR channels (fab romano, etc.), but I haven't even seen the more dubious insider sources or even random pundits make any mention of it. There's less smoke here than there was for "Bombito is going to Besiktas because Atiba recommended him".

How the shit was Davies not moved back to LB when we took the lead. Getting pissed at Shaff for not covering a runner?  He’s not a defender. Biello caved in to Phonzie, we need a manager with balls who will make him play for the team and do what needs to be done for the win. Today that was going to LB

Edited by Club Linesman

3 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

How the shit was Davies not moved back to LB when we took the lead. Getting pissed at Shaff for not covering a runner?  He’s not a defender. Biello caved in to Phonzie, we need a manager with balls who will make him play for the team and do what needs to be done for the win. Today that was going to LB

100% agree.  That was a nonsensical sub/adjustment.   Shaff is a winger, Favies is a LB. So put Shaff at LWB, keep the offensive formation and move Davies right up top.  Ok…

14 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Absolutely. It's complete players power caused by Herman's empowerment movement. Lots of respect for Biello but if he continues as head coach I will cry.

Huge opportunity for us with two big tournaments up coming and fantastic youth coming through, to attract a manager with real credibility and experience to take us significantly forward. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

100% agree.  That was a nonsensical sub/adjustment.   Shaff is a winger, Favies is a LB. So put Shaff at LWB, keep the offensive formation and move Davies right up top.  Ok…

I agree that what should have been done in the moment but of course Davies is a normally a wingback. 

One of our best chances was still him beating his man and getting of a really good shot. Even playing poorly he made stuff happen and covered up his mistakes. 

I think the problem came from the start when you put 3 guys who essentially play similar roles up front and then have at least three more with license to get forward.

You have to have cover from somewhere and provide passing options in the build up.

Yes we played most of our best and/or in-form players but that doesn't always make a team.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Honestly, I don't understand why Biello is any way attractive. Like, I have been vocally skeptical of the idea of a CPL coach but that is more or less the one instance where I'd be fine with Smyrniotis. If it's between him and Biello somehow then sure, lets give him a shot...

Mind you, there is no reason why that would be the case either. Money is a constraint but there is ways to be creative and decent coaches to be had at a lower price if we show a bit of outside-the-box thinking. I am pretty sure we could outbid Salvador if we approached Hugo Perez and he'd be at all interested for example...

The only way that Biello could have been justifiable is if things had gone well in Nations League. In that case the first round of Gold Cup could have been depicted as just a fluke and there would be an argument to not fix what ain't broken but the team had clearly looked somewhat disorganized in recent games, especially the last one. We won against TnT not thanks to him but despite him, by grinding them down eventually due to superior quality (altough they obviously deserve props for being a hard team to play against). 

Like, I'd go as far as to say that if we still had Herdman, or a descent manager really, not only would we have beaten Jamaica but, considering how close a depleted Jamaica got against the USA, we would probably be talking about our ods against Mexico instead of discussing lessons from a repechage game...

And now we are probably going to be stuck with the guy for longer!? He is a good scout and should be sent back to that job asap.

Edited by phil03

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

Klone in the Atletic writes that he feels Biello will be back for Copa.  This bit of news takes the joy out of the win yesterday for me.  We need a new coach desperately in my eyes.   Both tactically and team discipline wise we need a massive shift.   

Where is the money going to come from to pay for an upgrade in that regard when the CSA is reported to be heading for bankruptcy?

lol Biello isn’t the coach because the CSA thinks he’s a tactical genius. He’s the coach for financial reasons. The CSA will keep him as long as they can justify it. Barring a debacle (a loss yesterday would have qualified), prepare to see him around for a long time IMO.

Not sure how much attention you have been paying to the players dispute with the CSA over the CSB deal but the CSA's finances are not in good shape right now. It is not a safe assumption that they can afford anyone with a career that heading in the right direction.

Count me as another who feels a change is needed.  Clogging up the forward position created a static attack that lacked creativity... it was just too crowded up top.  The defense was never truly settled or cohesive.  And then after getting the 1-0 we were fortunate not to concede a few times just minutes later - it's as if we learned nothing from the Jamaica game - defensive players were bombing forward without sufficient cover.  A formation change (and coaching - relay of instructions) was needed to solidify things defensively.

Overall, it's as Biello was setting up to play a video game match, rather than an actual game of football.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not sure how much attention you have been paying to the players dispute with the CSA over the CSB deal but the CSA's finances are not in good shape right now. It is not a safe assumption that they can afford anyone with a career that heading in the right direction.

Of course I’ve been paying attention, I’m on this board.   Paying a good coach has never been an issue and Priestman makes a good wage with the Women so we know a pre determined allotment is allocated.   

I am not a huge fan of Biello but I think he deserves the Copa matches and that will give us a larger sample size to determine whether he is up to the job, a tough task awaits, if he over achieves in the truly daunting set of matches he must be considered!  I don't expect that to happen but 4 high quality matches, including the Netherlands friendly will give us a much better idea of what he can or can't do with his roster!

1 minute ago, narduch said:

No thanks. I've seen enough. 

Remember the savior of TFC, who many on here including myself were not sold on, made many mistakes in early days but grew into the job and had a decent run which lead to him getting the TFC gig! I am really hoping we hire a good foreign manager with a knowledge of Concacaf but I think we have to prepare ourselves for Biello taking over full time, whether that is due to lack of CSA finances or him succeeding in Copa! If we bomb out in these next 4 matches and he gets hired full time I think we will have legitimate complaints, if he does well then how can we not say he is up to it?

Isn’t it fun how every single thread on this forum grounds to a halt in the exact same way? Filling everyone with joy!

Wouldn’t Janne Andersson be a great candidate? He’s taken a team of similar quality through the group stage of a major tournament twice, with a record of 4-1-1. And his apparent struggles in qualification are not really meaningful in our context. Plus he would understand the peculiar constraints of a northern climate where a contingent of his players play in summer leagues. Apparently, he’s interested in the Ireland job; I doubt their pay packet would be higher than ours (in theory).

Edited by gkhs