Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

6 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Tyc gossip today,  CSA is after Rodolfo Arruabarrena or Guillermo Barros Schelotto.  According the football channel the Boca Jr's link with the Canadian football is strong,   and their goal is to get a southAmerican football coach before any other region.  Don't say anything more about Gaultier nor Rènard 

Neither of these options are impressive.  GBS' recent stint with Paraguay was an unmitigated disaster.  

There are plenty more established options out of South America. 

GBS strikes me as a realistic and worthy candidate. Has experience in this region on the club side. Wouldn't imagine we'd have to break the bank for him. And he's got a pretty good playing resume that should command enough respect. Part of me feels this team needs another man-motivator like Herdman, but I am not sure that's GBS, but if we're just considering his resume he checks off some boxes.  

36 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Neither of these options are impressive.  GBS' recent stint with Paraguay was an unmitigated disaster.  

There are plenty more established options out of South America. 

Be that as it may, time is running short and I don't know how appealing this job is given the state of our organization. We may have to sadly lower our expectations. Now if they gave the job to a Canadian with a similar or lesser resume, then no complaints from me, but in my view we aren't in a position to hold our nose to guys like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to the new Footy Prime podcast. Forest and Sherman said that there are rumblings that Thiery Henry is interested in the mens senior job. 

I would be ok with Henry. He has French u team coaching experience. He is still their coach. Also has Canadian experience. Most importantly, the players would lisen to him. 

What do you all thing about this? 

21 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I just listened to the new Footy Prime podcast. Forest and Sherman said that there are rumblings that Thiery Henry is interested in the mens senior job. 

I would be ok with Henry. He has French u team coaching experience. He is still their coach. Also has Canadian experience. Most importantly, the players would lisen to him. 

If people didn’t like Herdman’s pre-meditated subs they’ll hate Henry. He would never use his five subs and usually would wait until way too late in the match to change anyone at all. I was not impressed with him at CFMTL.

Hmmm....hasn't really succeeded at any of his coaching appointments. Strikes me as a good assistant. Seems passionate about helping players get better and passing down his experience, which could be great for our strikers. He's also high profile enough to bring some buzz to the program. BUT the comment about pre-meditated subs concerns me. I dunno....

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hmmm....hasn't really succeeded at any of his coaching appointments. Strikes me as a good assistant. Seems passionate about helping players get better and passing down his experience, which could be great for our strikers. He's also high profile enough to bring some buzz to the program. BUT the comment about pre-meditated subs concerns me. I dunno....

He was a disaster in Montreal. I remember one match where he was either mic’d up or the sidelines mics were picking up what he said. He was just marching around shouting at his players and belittling them constantly. No wonder they sucked. Almost no one responds well to that and it destroys their confidence.  It was notable where he was in the standings and where Nancy took essentially the same side the next year with a more supportive approach. 

6 minutes ago, An Observer said:

He was a disaster in Montreal. I remember one match where he was either mic’d up or the sidelines mics were picking up what he said. He was just marching around shouting at his players and belittling them constantly. No wonder they sucked. Almost no one responds well to that and it destroys their confidence.  It was notable where he was in the standings and where Nancy took essentially the same side the next year with a more supportive approach. 

Maybe he's learned from it? Seems predicable a novice coach and former world class player would grow frusturated at the incompetence of some MLS players, all while struggling with depression during the covid period. Not excusing it, just trying to frame it up and point out how things could be different in Canada this time around...

He would obviously be far from the perfect hire, but right now Biello is in charge. So, I guess the question should be: Is Biello better for this team than Henry? Possibly yes?

4 hours ago, Vasi said:

I was soo excited by the nomination at the Impact, but then i read about what happened at Monaco and got a little worried.  Was still amazing to see this great with the Impact, but it didn't last long.  He was really bad in every sense.  Made every player worse.  I can't even stress or explain how bad it was.  There was nothing positive about it.  Most coaches you could kinda assume and understand what their mindset was, what they were trying to do and find at least a little positive.  With Henry, it was all really awful.  

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Seems predicable a novice coach and former world class player would grow frusturated at the incompetence of some MLS players

he had the same exact issues at monaco, pretty silly to boil down his obvious coaching flaws (more like failures) into a "MLS bad lol" thing

https://theathletic.com/814483/2019/02/13/thierry-henrys-doomed-monaco-return-and-the-many-pitfalls-of-great-players-making-the-jump-to-managing/

The results were quickly disappointing. Monaco only won two league games during Henry’s first two months on the bench, and the team conceded 16 goals in nine fixtures. But more than his inability to create something substantial on the pitch, it was his struggles to connect with his players that gained attention. Henry did not get along with the young players. He famously rolled his eyes at Benoît Badiashile for not tucking in his chair after a press conference.

According to France Football, he also had some issues with the most experienced players. For example, he reportedly tried to explain to Radamel Falcao how to properly call for the ball. The Colombian felt offended and complained to the club’s top executives.

On the bench, his outbursts became more and more frequent. During a 2-1 defeat to Montpellier, Henry was caught on camera yelling at Youri Tielemans and Aleksandr Golovin: “You’re three in the middle! Fuck! … In French? In English? What language do you want me to speak? Fucking Hell.”

7 hours ago, saladroit said:

he had the same exact issues at monaco, pretty silly to boil down his obvious coaching flaws (more like failures) into a "MLS bad lol" thing

https://theathletic.com/814483/2019/02/13/thierry-henrys-doomed-monaco-return-and-the-many-pitfalls-of-great-players-making-the-jump-to-managing/

Not trying to defend Henry here, but the Monaco appointment was even before the Montreal one, where he was even less experienced. It's possible he just sucks as a coach and that's all there is to it, but some coaches can and have gotten better with time and experience. Maybe that's Henry, or maybe not.

Just now, Kadenge said:

With co- hosting the 2026 WC we have to go with an established mgr. Only 2+ yrs  and the clock keeps ticking, for him to get up to speed with the players and establish a tactical identity

Completely agree. Take someone for the future on alongside them to learn and take over after. 

Btw  this whole narrative that  the GS has to be hired first is total BS. Can anyone honestly say that Alyson Walker with her Uni soccer experience would have had much input into the hiring of the manager? ..and pls don't say the Mgr reports into the GS. If Carlo took the job can you see him reporting to an Alyson Walker or equivalent? This is just foot dragging to save money.😞

6 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

T H is awful as a coach,  better pundit.   He ain't no Uruguayan nor Argentinian nor in a lesser room Italian,  as the CSA is seeking streetwise coaches .   

For that hire Martin O'Neill better coach, better person ,  better cath and better pundit than Thierry.

Sometimes I wonder if you can even understand how silly some of your posts are.  At this point I am convinced you cannot. 

Either that or you are an absolutely elite-level troll, in which case I tip my hat to you.  

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Btw  this whole narrative that  the GS has to be hired first is total BS. Can anyone honestly say that Alyson Walker with her Uni soccer experience would have had much input into the hiring of the manager? ..and pls don't say the Mgr reports into the GS. If Carlo took the job can you see him reporting to an Alyson Walker or equivalent? This is just foot dragging to save money.😞

Agreed. 

If they can extend the contract of the CanWNT manager they can hire the Mens Manager 

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

With co- hosting the 2026 WC we have to go with an established mgr. Only 2+ yrs  and the clock keeps ticking, for him to get up to speed with the players and establish a tactical identity

Suriname gets 8 commits, books 2 friendlies and we can’t even effectively hire a GS or a men’s coach with the largest sporting event in the world being hosted here in a little over 2 years.  F’n disgrace. Does Canada have a national bocce ball team?  May need to switch to following them in the nice weather if such a squad exists. 
The players and fans deserve way better than this.  Extremely talented dual nata are gonna stay far away from this tire fire and we will gain nothing from hosting the WC.  

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Agreed. 

If they can extend the contract of the CanWNT manager they can hire the Mens Manager 

I think that may have something to do with the fact that the CANWNT reluctantly put a tentative deal in place "to keep things moving forward" and the CANMT didn't agree to anything.

Edited by Canuckia