Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

Just now, spitfire said:

Just my opinion..no one elses but maybe a win in March and a qualifiaction for Copa America could be a big draw for new possible coach!!(Attractive prospect..playing vs Argentina!)

Hopefully yes I can definitely see that , just need to qualify.

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

@Shway - Gotta say man.  You've really been thinking about this.  Your posts on this situation are really well thought out and spot on.

Except for the fact that he would prefer to not let a new manager have the preparation of a non-Concacaf tournament against world class opposition before the biggest sporting event in Canada's history. Not saying he's wrong, but that doesn't really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. New managers need as much time with a new group of players as possible to see how they perform in certain situations, etc. and letting Biello have the priceless (and extremely rare) experience of a world class tournament and then letting him go right after is completely pointless in my opinion. It's like a company putting an employee through a very valuable and expensive training program, and then firing them. What's the point? You're just training them for the next company that hires them.

For the record, my perspective is that I don't really care about the results at the Copa America. I would much rather maximize our learning opportunities at that tournament in order to give ourselves the best chance to perform well at the World Cup, than to maybe win one more game at Copa and then have a manager perform poorly at the World Cup because they didn't have enough matches under their belt with the team. We all know Canada Soccer will do the bare minimum in preparation against world class opposition before the World Cup. Copa America is it.

Edited by frmr

52 minutes ago, frmr said:

Except for the fact that he would prefer to not let a new manager have the preparation of a non-Concacaf tournament against world class opposition before the biggest sporting event in Canada's history. Not saying he's wrong, but that doesn't really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. New managers need as much time with a new group of players as possible to see how they perform in certain situations, etc. and letting Biello have the priceless (and extremely rare) experience of a world class tournament and then letting him go right after is completely pointless in my opinion. It's like a company putting an employee through a very valuable and expensive training program, and then firing them. What's the point? You're just training them for the next company that hires them.

Again I understand your point. But I'll reiterate it doesn't make sense to me for a new coach to come in with the same old garbage. I say that in jest, because the players I'm about to mention have served Canada well....but a new coach coming in is not going to omit Vitoria, Borjan, Hoilett, Cavallini, or Piette for the likes of younger talent - the talent who is more than likely going to be at WC26 over those players. That's my main point. So how much preparation will be had with those players still there. The new coach can end an era, and start a new guard or brotherhood with key vets phased out or retired.

I think Copa is about qualifying, playing and seeing how we do. The experience will only be had if its given to future players, which I foresee not happening. So any new coach is going to do and learn the same things because he doesn't have enough time to try new things at the expense of embarrassment or reasonable questions. "Why wasn't a healthy Vitoria played over McGraw" or if we are preparing for the future "why wasn't Bair called in over Cavallini"....

The reality is the company (CSA) invested and committed to the employee (Herdman) and gave him very valuable control (was the director and head coach) and expensive experience (his salary) and then he left the company way before his intended time, and ultimately trained him for the next company (Toronto FC). It happen's, some companies are prepared for such transitions before they happen, some aren't - the CSA.

52 minutes ago, frmr said:

For the record, my perspective is that I don't really care about the results at the Copa America. I would much rather maximize our learning opportunities at that tournament in order to give ourselves the best chance to perform well at the World Cup, than to maybe win one more game at Copa and then have a manager perform poorly at the World Cup because they didn't have enough matches under their belt with the team. We all know Canada Soccer will do the bare minimum in preparation against world class opposition before the World Cup. Copa America is it.

It's just not enough time for it to mean anything. Under Biello if we get to the finals of the Copa, it's the players. We get knocked out of the group stage at the Copa, it's the tactics and the coach. Under a new coach, we get to the finals of the Copa it's the coach, we get knocked out of the group stage the coach says it's the players (not enough time with them).

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

Again I understand your point. But I'll reiterate it doesn't make sense to me for a new coach to come in with the same old garbage. I say that in jest, because the players I'm about to mention have served Canada well....but a new coach coming in is not going to omit Vitoria, Borjan, Hoilett, Cavallini, or Piette for the likes of younger talent - the talent who is more than likely going to be at WC26 over those players. That's my main point. So how much preparation will be had with those players still there. The new coach can end an era, and start a new guard or brotherhood with key vets phased out or retired.

I think Copa is about qualifying, playing and seeing how we do. The experience will only be had if its given to future players, which I foresee not happening. So any new coach is going to do and learn the same things because he doesn't have enough time to try new things at the expense of embarrassment or reasonable questions. "Why wasn't a healthy Vitoria played over McGraw" or if we are preparing for the future "why wasn't Bair called in over Cavallini"....

The reality is the company (CSA) invested and committed to the employee (Herdman) and gave him very valuable control (was the director and head coach) and expensive experience (his salary) and then he left the company way before his intended time, and ultimately trained him for the next company (Toronto FC). It happen's, some companies are prepared for such transitions before they happen, some aren't - the CSA.

It's just not enough time for it to mean anything. Under Biello if we get to the finals of the Copa, it's the players. We get knocked out of the group stage at the Copa, it's the tactics and the coach. Under a new coach, we get to the finals of the Copa it's the coach, we get knocked out of the group stage the coach says it's the players (not enough time with them).

I think you're making some big assumptions to support your argument. You're assuming that a new manager would not shake things up with team selection. We have absolutely no way of knowing that, especially considering we don't even know who the manager is. Whoever comes in will put their own mark on the team. Is it possible they will stick with the old guard? Yes. Is it possible they will see value in bringing in a new wave? Yes. If anything, I think we know what we get with Biello as part of said old guard, and I would say it's far more likely we get more of the same with him versus someone new who doesn't know any of the players at all. So I think you're basing your logic off of assumptions that don't even really add up to me. In fact I would say the opposite makes more sense.

I also don't agree about your assessment on if we succeed in Copa it's the players but if we fail, it's the manager. It's always a combination of the two. There's never a scenario where something is fully on the players or fully on the manager. It's always the sum of all parts. So if we succeed with a new manager, of course that person will get credit, and will be riding a wave going into the prep for the World Cup. Just like if we fail at Copa, it's not all on the manager. In fact I think people would be more willing to give a new manager time to settle and not be calling for his head if Canada doesn't do well.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

How? By losing all three games??  By having  the team show up late for functions and our manager make a huge verbal gaff and be a laughing stock for a week??  

Qatar finished 32nd, but we could top that by finishing 48th! 😄

Edited by Watchmen

4 hours ago, frmr said:

It's not just on the players though. It's about the tactics, in-game adjustments, substitutions, etc. I agree that there's no way we shouldn't beat T&T, and we should be able to beat them even without a manager at all just based purely on talent, but just look at our neighbours to the south to see how a poor manager can get the worst out of a talented group of players. Biello looked like a fish out of water in the second half of the Jamaica game.

My feeling is with those who say it is on the players, and I tend to put a lot of emphasis on coaching.

I mean, just fucking ignore Biello if that is what it takes to win. 

Biello coached the U23s at the Concacaf Olympic qualifiers, the U20s in WCQ and 3 games for the CMNT. With the exception of the 2-1 win in Jamaica, he didn't  impress in any of the other games.  We keep talking about lack of revenues, but the best way to grow revenues is to improve you product. Wins for the CMNT & CWNT is the way. I get NL may not appeal to many but it's another stage for more eyes on the team, TV coverage, fan & corporate support. We blew that opportunity. Now we have the T&T game and a chance for an even bigger stage at the COPA where a decent performance could generate even more revenues. Like any successful business you have to invest smartly to grow revenues. Cutting costs seldom results in higher revenues. We have the players but we need a coach that is at their level or higher to get the results our program desperately needs to attract additional revenue. Take a look at Panama.

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My feeling is with those who say it is on the players, and I tend to put a lot of emphasis on coaching.

I mean, just fucking ignore Biello if that is what it takes to win. 

Ancelloti could only do so much with the players at his disposal at Everton right? Leading them to a 10th finish as his highest. Was it his coaching why they finished mid table? Probably not. He subsequently went to Madrid the next year and with better players he won the league and champions league. 
Could Guardiola takeover Sheffield and turn that team into a mid table team? No, because he wouldnt have the necessary players to play his style. 

My point is, players are more important to a team than coaches. If you don't have the right/best players, there's a limit to how much a coaching philosophy could be implemented. It's the reason why I'm sooooo interested to see how Herdman will do as a club coach vs a motivational international coach. 

So to your point, yes! The players could "ignore" the coach and their own thing to win the game, especially when the opponent is undoubtedly inferior. We've seen and heard coaches say it many times in post game interviews. 

2 hours ago, frmr said:

I think you're making some big assumptions to support your argument. You're assuming that a new manager would not shake things up with team selection. We have absolutely no way of knowing that, especially considering we don't even know who the manager is. Whoever comes in will put their own mark on the team. Is it possible they will stick with the old guard? Yes. Is it possible they will see value in bringing in a new wave? Yes. If anything, I think we know what we get with Biello as part of said old guard, and I would say it's far more likely we get more of the same with him versus someone new who doesn't know any of the players at all. So I think you're basing your logic off of assumptions that don't even really add up to me. In fact I would say the opposite makes more sense.

I think I making a fair assumption. I think it's crazy to think it would be a good idea for the new coach to come in right before a tournament and drop the majority of the senior leadership team and call it preparing for 2026. If it's successful its very balsy, if not we could be dealing with a Floro like situation. I honestly don't think it's a good timing to bring in a new manager a month before a massive tournament...there will be built-in excuses, and right now the CSA has to get this hire perfect. 

2 hours ago, frmr said:

I also don't agree about your assessment on if we succeed in Copa it's the players but if we fail, it's the manager. It's always a combination of the two. There's never a scenario where something is fully on the players or fully on the manager. It's always the sum of all parts. So if we succeed with a new manager, of course that person will get credit, and will be riding a wave going into the prep for the World Cup. Just like if we fail at Copa, it's not all on the manager. In fact I think people would be more willing to give a new manager time to settle and not be calling for his head if Canada doesn't do well.

I disagree....see my recent post above about managing. 

On 1/19/2024 at 2:53 PM, Shway said:

Was it Javier Fernandez? 
Because I have never seen anything here nor there about quality coaches lining up.

Unless Bielo trots out a lineup of players we have never seen before.
If we don't qualify against Trinidad this is on the players.

I'll give the bly of Jamaica as they are quality, on the rise, and were playing together more actively than Canada was and it showed.

My last name is not Fernandez,  is François Mon ami.  

How you beat T and T 

Borjan or Creapeau

Layrea 

Vitoria 

Miller 

Alfonso Dav

Buchanan 

Fraser 

Eustaquio

Shaffenburg

Colyn 

David

It is soo easy, then you have Koné Johnston Cavallini Larin Kennedy from the bench,  Millar/ Corbeanu  too 

Imagine if Javier was right all along and Fraser turned out to be the answer to the midfield trio we've desperetly been serching for.

After locking down the starting role for Canada, he then goes on to star for Dallas in MLS, ultimately earning a transfer back to Europe, in his prime.

This time, Belgian First Division A.

Watch out, CONCACAF.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Imagine if Javier was right all along and Fraser turned out to be the answer to the midfield trio we've desperetly been serching for.

After locking down the starting role for Canada, he then goes on to star for Dallas in MLS, ultimately earning a transfer back to Europe, in his prime.

This time, Belgian First Division A.

Watch out, CONCACAF.

Sounds cynical, but to me I've actually rated him everytime he's played for Canada. I think his passing range from deep, and his willingness to just sit in front of the defence could free up Kone and Staq a bit.

8 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

How you beat T and T 

Borjan or Creapeau

Layrea 

Vitoria 

Miller 

Alfonso Dav

Buchanan 

Fraser 

Eustaquio

Shaffenburg

Colyn 

David

It is soo easy, then you have Koné Johnston Cavallini Larin Kennedy from the bench,  Millar/ Corbeanu  too 

With this lineup it is too easy to make fun of you and your lack of football knowledge. Please stop with your nonsense.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Sounds cynical, but to me I've actually rated him everytime he's played for Canada. I think his passing range from deep, and his willingness to just sit in front of the defence could free up Kone and Staq a bit.

No doubt his skillset and profile is something CANMNT has been missing.  He has fit in and looked good at times, however the ceiling is still a question.  I feel all those years on the bench limited the development.

So Jurgen Klopp is leaving Liverpool, would think he’s in the mix for the job. Maybe not top of the list, but a good backup choice no? One knock to his candidacy has to be his lack of experience managing a national team. Who knows if he would be able to handle the pressure of it all? Hope he proves me wrong if he does get the job 

1 hour ago, AnonymousInsider said:

So Jurgen Klopp is leaving Liverpool, would think he’s in the mix for the job. Maybe not top of the list, but a good backup choice no? One knock to his candidacy has to be his lack of experience managing a national team. Who knows if he would be able to handle the pressure of it all? Hope he proves me wrong if he does get the job 

I know it sucks to hear, but we should probably hold on to Biello until Pep’s contract with City is up. Klopp would be nice, but this isn’t Canada from 2012. We’re a top 50 nation in the world and ought to really start going after managers at our level. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I know it sucks to hear, but we should probably hold on to Biello until Pep’s contract with City is up. Klopp would be nice, but this isn’t Canada from 2012. We’re a top 50 nation in the world and ought to really start going after managers at our level. 

Shame Ancelotti’s was extended, about the same pedigree of Pep. Would’ve been a good shout, seems we just can’t catch a break.