Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

@blueseeka I wanted to react "Like, Thanks, Laugh, Sad, and Confuse" to your post.

The reality is, I don't think anyone is surprised. 

We qualify and his contract is extended for the Copa America. However we do there, will determine his tag from going from Interim to Official.

We don't qualify, and then there's absolutely nothing to play for. No friendlies will be scheduled and the coach search continues.

Really? We're going to go into the Copa America with Biello as manager? I would think/hope that he's only taking us into this match due to time constraints in finding a new manager that quickly. I would very much hope we have someone better in place for Copa (if he manages to get us there). This tournament is like a mini World Cup, I would assume we would very much want to have someone in place to be able go through that experience with the team instead of bringing someone in and not giving them a tournament to prep for the World Cup. No point wasting Biello on learning from that experience if he's not the guy to take us through the single biggest tournament in the history of the sport in this country.

I don't think we even expect a world class coach. Just a level C or D coach.

Biello got down 4-0 to Japan in a friendly and decided to skip playing the future players. Removing Cornelius and didn’t play LDF. Fine

And then they get embarrassed in Toronto in the 2nd half. No tactical change at half when Jamaica changed up their attack.

We probably have the most talent that has ever graced a Canadian football field and we can't get a coach.

Finally have a shot to play world class competition and we might not qualify for it

Herdman quit in August and we have Biello leading the charge. We lose and so goes our chance with competing in important games

3 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Not surprised as others mentioned, but I would like to think that even if we qualify for COPA that he could still be replaced in time for the Tournament.

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

Really? We're going to go into the Copa America with Biello as manager? I would think/hope that he's only taking us into this match due to time constraints in finding a new manager that quickly. I would very much hope we have someone better in place for Copa (if he manages to get us there). This tournament is like a mini World Cup, I would assume we would very much want to have someone in place to be able go through that experience with the team instead of bringing someone in and not giving them a tournament to prep for the World Cup. No point wasting Biello on learning from that experience if he's not the guy to take us through the single biggest tournament in the history of the sport in this country.

2 games for the new coach to work with before going into a massive tournament? I don't think that is ideal tbh. 
It would bear the same results. Tactics are important, but the player personnel won't change much (and shouldn't change) from March to June so how much change should you really expect from a new manager. 

I think the new coach should come in after this tournament so he has a better footprint to work with instead of having to deal with the old guard who I believe will retire after this tournament (Vitoria, Borjan, and maybe Hoilett to name a few). 
Let there be no pressure on how results look. We bomb out of the tournament with a new manager, and everybody will be questioning him whereas we bomb out of the tournament with Biello and we are saying nothing has changed from Herdman (who he was the second man in charge to). It's all optics to me, which is sometimes seen as smokescreen, but in this case I think it's important for the "refresh" as the focus is now 2026. It's too late IMO for any manager to come in and be able to do anything significant for CA24.

17 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I don't think we even expect a world class coach. Just a level C or D coach.

Biello got down 4-0 to Japan in a friendly and decided to skip playing the future players. Removing Cornelius and didn’t play LDF. Fine

And then they get embarrassed in Toronto in the 2nd half. No tactical change at half when Jamaica changed up their attack.

We probably have the most talent that has ever graced a Canadian football field and we can't get a coach.

Finally have a shot to play world class competition and we might not qualify for it

Herdman quit in August and we have Biello leading the charge. We lose and so goes our chance with competing in important games

Blame the CSA and the shitshow they have fostered - not Biello. 
He has settled the ship when the captain abandoned it. If not for Biello sticking around, God knows who we would have in replace of him as interim, knowing that the federation is cash-strapped.

The CSA new Herdman was sniffing like a dog for a way out from summer, and had zero plan incase of his eventual departure. 

Edited by Shway

1 minute ago, Shway said:

2 games for the new coach to work with before going into a massive tournament? I don't think that is ideal tbh. 
It would bear the same results. Tactics are important, but the player personnel won't change much (and shouldn't change) from March to June so how much change should you really expect from a new manager. 

I think the new coach should come in after this tournament so he has a better footprint to work with instead of having to deal with the old guard who I believe will retire after this tournament (Vitoria, Borjan, and maybe Hoilett to name a few). 
Let there be no pressure on how results look. We bomb out of the tournament with a new manager, and everybody will be questioning him whereas we bomb out of the tournament with Biello and we are saying nothing has changed from Herdman (who he was the second man in charge to). It's all optics to me, which is sometimes seen as smokescreen, but in this case I think it's important for the "refresh" as the focus is now 2026. It's too late IMO for any manager to come in and be able to do anything significant for CA24.

It's not about the results at Copa though, it's about being able to use it as a warm up tournament for the World Cup. I see absolutely no benefit in letting Biello manage that tournament if he's not in the plans for the long term. That's invaluable experience for a manger which would be completely wasted if he's being replaced right after. For an association which is famous for not having enough competitive matches or even being able to schedule friendlies at this point, whoever is going to be managing WC2026 needs to be in place for Copa America.

1 minute ago, frmr said:

It's not about the results at Copa though, it's about being able to use it as a warm up tournament for the World Cup. I see absolutely no benefit in letting Biello manage that tournament if he's not in the plans for the long term. That's invaluable experience for a manger which would be completely wasted if he's being replaced right after. For an association which is famous for not having enough competitive matches or even being able to schedule friendlies at this point, whoever is going to be managing WC2026 needs to be in place for Copa America.

A new coach has to be in place for Copa.  They cannot let Biello remain in charge for it.

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

Don't remember who it was in the media who said there were numerous quality coaches showing interest in the position... why haven't they capitalized on it then?  Was it just not that many?  Are they waiting until the new of the CSA has a chance to do a search?

Was it Javier Fernandez? 
Because I have never seen anything here nor there about quality coaches lining up.

1 minute ago, Ottawafan said:

Making Copa is an absolute must.  Cannot falter here.

Unless Bielo trots out a lineup of players we have never seen before.
If we don't qualify against Trinidad this is on the players.

I'll give the bly of Jamaica as they are quality, on the rise, and were playing together more actively than Canada was and it showed.

Just now, Shway said:

Was it Javier Fernandez? 
Because I have never seen anything here nor there about quality coaches lining up.

I'll give the bly of Jamaica as they are quality, on the rise, and were playing together more actively than Canada was and it showed.

It's not just on the players though. It's about the tactics, in-game adjustments, substitutions, etc. I agree that there's no way we shouldn't beat T&T, and we should be able to beat them even without a manager at all just based purely on talent, but just look at our neighbours to the south to see how a poor manager can get the worst out of a talented group of players. Biello looked like a fish out of water in the second half of the Jamaica game.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

I truly understand your point. But I disagree. 
It's just simply not enough time for a new manager to come in and for it to make sense considering a large crop of players who will play in Copa 24 won't be in contention for 2026. 

If you're saying the new manager is going to come in and call up McGill, Nelson, Ahmed, Russell-Rowe, LDF, and Saliba in replace of dropping Vitoria, Hoilett, Borjan, Piette, and Cavallini for the Copa ...then cool. I'm all for it! That is preparing for 2026. Anything contrary to that is hoopla. 

Davies, David, Buchanan, Larin, Staq, Kone, Johnston.....don't need the experience of playing in a big tournament. They got that the World Cup, and have experience of Champions League.

So any manager coming in now and crashing out of the Copa (I mean we don't win any games), how is that preparing? I can guarantee you majority here will question the coaches ability to lead. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Was it Javier Fernandez? 

On the players of course, until the 68th minute substitutions render that moot. 

2 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

On the players of course, until the 68th minute substitutions render that moot. 

If the game isn't determined by the boys by the 68th minute, then it's on the players.
I don't care what anyone says. 

This is T&T, not Jamaica. 

Not to underestimate the opponent, but when your captain and best player come from a league in your own backyard to where you don't even deem the players their good enough to play for your national team. 
When our team is filled with UCL or Top 5 league players.....

Again you can't blame Biello, players determine the future unless Biello decides to drop Davies, David, or Buchanan for Hoilett, Millar, or Nelson.

Jamaica BMO loss wasn't tactics it was ERRORS from key players that determined that loss.

This was always going to be the case, even before the One Soccer panel laid out the case. 

To be honest, I think we're seriously under the gun to get a full time coach signed up before the Copa America, if we even qualify. Gotta keep in mind that finding a manager can be a lengthy, drawn out process at the best at times, let alone given the turmoil happening at the CSA.

The focus from now until March will firstly be on making arrangements for this qualifier, i imagine. Then attention will probably focus onto the coaching search, I suppose. But we are almost into Feburary and while I expect the process to be underway before the next match, I definitely don't expect the search to be complete. Copa America is important and all, but we don't want to rush the hire for the sake of that, since 2026 is the main objective. 

I am bracing myself for Biello to lead us in the Copa, but hoping we can move mountains and get the RIGHT coach hired ahead of the tournament. Funny though, just a few years ago people would have been satisfied with Biello, a Canadian manager with MLS experience. Now him staying on for Copa America is being treated as a worst case scenario. Our standards have definitely risen in the past 5 years. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am bracing myself for Biello to lead us in the Copa, but hoping we can move mountains and get the RIGHT coach hired ahead of the tournament.

Funny though, just a few years ago people would have been satisfied with Biello, a Canadian manager with MLS experience. I always said that the coach needed to be there at the earliest Japan, and latest Jamaica series. 
There just is not enough time, and it would eventually be a rush hire for the Copa which could leave negative effects. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Funny though, just a few years ago people would have been satisfied with Biello, a Canadian manager with MLS experience. Now him staying on for Copa America is being treated as a worst case scenario. Our standards have definitely risen in the past 5 years. 

Yea if the hire was before the U20's shitshow. He did well with the U23's considering the denial of a lot of eligible players. 
I just think some men here aren't being realistic with the situation, and to me as much as I don't want Biello to be the head coach I thin he's our best case scenario at the moment to lead us to the Copa.

Blow everything up after the tournament, and have enough money to bring in a new coach and have several camps whether international or domestic. 

It's not a surprise but a massive disappointment for the CMNT. Delay, delay, delay is on par for how the CSA has operated in the past. Save a few bucks in the process. 4/5 months have passed since JH quit and surely the CSA knew it was coming before it  happened. Coaches are assessed on results and Biello didn't  get the job done in a 2 game window vs Jamaica. I don't care if we won in Jamaica. It's meaningless as  we failed to qualify for the NL and Copa. Thankfully we get a 2nd chance for Copa. He's not new to the program . He's been around the team and players for a long time with JH, so that's not an excuse. Up 3-1 to Jamaica into the 2nd half and there is no tactical change. You keep your shape on defence and wait for the counter. If certain players were pushing up against the tactical plan as we saw on both Jamaica goals, it's on the coach to call those players out. In fact it should have been very clear during half time what the tactical plan was for the 2nd half. If the players disregarded the tactical plan, then  it's clear Biello has no cred with the players. Excuses for delaying hiring a new coach is only going to make matters worse. 

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How? By losing all three games??  By having  the team show up late for functions and our manager make a huge verbal gaff and be a laughing stock for a week??  

All will be revealed to you in the 60th minute, down 1-0 to Brazil where looking for a goal, Biello subs out Jonathan David for none other than Lucas Cavallini

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It's not a surprise but a massive disappointment for the CMNT. Delay, delay, delay is on par for how the CSA has operated in the past. Save a few bucks in the process. 4/5 months have passed since JH quit and surely the CSA knew it was coming before it  happened. Coaches are assessed on results and Biello didn't  get the job done in a 2 game window vs Jamaica. I don't care if we won in Jamaica. It's meaningless as  we failed to qualify for the NL and Copa. Thankfully we get a 2nd chance for Copa. He's not new to the program . He's been around the team and players for a long time with JH, so that's not an excuse. Up 3-1 to Jamaica into the 2nd half and there is no tactical change. You keep your shape on defence and wait for the counter. If certain players were pushing up against the tactical plan as we saw on both Jamaica goals, it's on the coach to call those players out. In fact it should have been very clear during half time what the tactical plan was for the 2nd half. If the players disregarded the tactical plan, then  it's clear Biello has no cred with the players. Excuses for delaying hiring a new coach is only going to make matters worse. 

It's inexplicable how Biello managed the team in the 2nd half of leg 2, but such a crushing defeat hopefully forced him to do some soul searching and maybe, just maybe, he's learned from it.

The squad selection for March may tell us a lot. If we see the return of Kaye, and to a lesser degree Osorio, I will be skeptical he's learned much of anything. Vitoria I fully expect to be back. Does he have the cahonas to drop Borjan? I doubt it, but a start for Crepeau in this match would be a signal that Biello is willing to change things up. He strikes me as being cautious, pragmatic, and conservative, but not stupid, arrogant, or delusional, so it'll be interesting to see what the selection looks like. 

One positive may be that he'll likely recall de Fougerolls. A new manager may not have necessarily done so, but Biello called him twice in a row, one friendly and one massive window. I know he has yet to play for Fulham since, I do like to think Mauro will continue the trend of calling him. 

Will any new players get called? I don't think so. 

Overall, I think Kaye will be dropped for Choniere, Russel-Rowe (who was a last minute call), will be replaced by Cavallini, and everything else will remain the same. Borjan and Vitoria will probably start. That's my expectation. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

@blueseeka I wanted to react "Like, Thanks, Laugh, Sad, and Confuse" to your post.

The reality is, I don't think anyone is surprised. 

We qualify and his contract is extended for the Copa America. However we do there, will determine his tag from going from Interim to Official.

We don't qualify, and then there's absolutely nothing to play for. No friendlies will be scheduled and the coach search continues.

Agree with most of this, but not sure qualifying for CA actually guarantees he stays on for CA.  It's more than just winning or losing.  It's about how they win and lose.  Is the team working as a team?  Is Biello leading as a leader?  Is there a system and a plan?.....  

Finishing last at the WC given our opponents was ok and maybe predictable, but it's how we lost, and the decisions and the quotes that raised serious questions about the leadership.