Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

To be fair to Herdman, it's not like he's alone in MLS as a head coach with very little previous experience. Montreal and Minnesota both have guys who have never coached higher than MLS NP. Wilfrid Nancy went from never having been the head coach of a professional team to being the near-consensus best manager in the league after two seasons. I think that a lot of what has made Herdman successful with Canada won't translate as well to managing a club, but Toronto Herdman's biggest quality IMO is that he's a builder, he's willing to spend time to slowly grow an organization the right way. I think he'll have at least two seasons to figure it out before he gets put in the hot seat. Toronto has just focused on these little quick fixes over the last few seasons that haven't worked- I think Herdman will want to do the opposite. If he can prioritize the young homegrown players, give them stable minutes and have them buy into the idea that you have a firm opportunity to prove yourself and get sold abroad (he clearly believes in players developing in Europe) while filling the gap with moneyball moves for players that want to play in Toronto, I think he'll get a lot out of his players and build something sustainable.

Actually, as I type this, I realize his ideal gig would probably be coaching Montreal. No need to have to deal with overpaid DPs, have to squeeze every last bit of form and talent out of what little you have at your disposal, make incremental changes, prove yourself to a small but extremely passionate fanbase.

34 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Back to the CMNT....has there been ANY info re job postings or update as to what is going on?  I have to think that the new GS would have at the very least instructed the CSA to conduct the search if they haven't already started one.

My understanding is that CSA is utilizing an outside head hunting firm to compile a list of suitable coaching candidates. Im not sure what stage or if the process has even begun though. 

23 hours ago, Shway said:

Nothing wrong with that....as it's actual factual. Son that captain and dad the Head Coach is something you would see at U-11 soccer.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with Holman.  I do however see a bit of irony in blaming the coach (and surrounding conditions) for TFC’s failures, while blaming forces other than the coach when he was in charge of the Nats when they underperformed.   

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Back to the CMNT....has there been ANY info re job postings or update as to what is going on?  I have to think that the new GS would have at the very least instructed the CSA to conduct the search if they haven't already started one.

Whoa, slow down there big guy!  One thing at a time!  First step is getting the bespoke tailored suit.  Then the work can start.  Wouldn't look professional otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

She hasn't taken up her post yet, I think she starts next week.

It is all excruciatingly slow and no one has any sense of urgency. 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

troll post.... This is just anti CSB nonsense.  In no world does a marketing company decide on another organizations hiring. 

If that is all you think they are, just a marketing company, you are welcome to believe what you'd like.  They have had an extremely close relationship with the heads of Canadian soccer; fingers crossed they will not be included with a new regime.  Guess we will find out.

Nothing surprises me with this game anymore.

44 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

If that is all you think they are, just a marketing company, you are welcome to believe what you'd like.  They have had an extremely close relationship with the heads of Canadian soccer; fingers crossed they will not be included with a new regime.  Guess we will find out.

Nothing surprises me with this game anymore.

tin foil hat time?

Im sure you have been close to other people, whether its friends or business colleagues. That doesnt mean you get to decide which house your friends buy or the salary of your colleague.  

Trolling at its finest. 

20 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

tin foil hat time?

Im sure you have been close to other people, whether its friends or business colleagues. That doesnt mean you get to decide which house your friends buy or the salary of your colleague.  

Trolling at its finest. 

If you say so.

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

I hope it’s not similar to their “extensive global recruitment process” that resulted in Earl Cochrane. 

I hope so too. My hope is that the 70 applications for general secretary were unqualified where as the head coach search should attract someone better than biello..... i hope. 

9 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The panel on One Soccer must be on this forum lol....ask and you shall receive

Not looking good guys ....

29 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Have to think they're focusing on the March game and maybe into Copa America with Biello before pretending to conduct an extensive search and then promoting him regardless of results

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. The March game is a given. 

No one knows where they are at other than the CSA. That seems for sure. They could have a list of names assembled and it's a case of waiting for the new hire to get her feet under the table next week to move forward.

I think it is also almost dangerous to put a new coach in place ahead of March that will have a new philosophy and potential systems to load players up with. I'm not complaining if they act fast and hire someone in February. It's possible. March probably makes sense. Likely more interesting options in May too. 

Maybe we aren't camp poutining because we know an extended camp with the new coach will be needed this year.

Ok, that was a step too far and I broke the optimism meter. The fib-ulator alarm is going off

On 1/17/2024 at 4:13 AM, Shway said:

Nothing wrong with that....as it's actual factual. Son that captain and dad the Head Coach is something you would see at U-11 soccer.

Wasn't their best tournament ever, but losing on penalties to the host, and eventual Champions, at France '98 wasn't exactly a disaster for Italy.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. The March game is a given. 

No one knows where they are at other than the CSA. That seems for sure. They could have a list of names assembled and it's a case of waiting for the new hire to get her feet under the table next week to move forward.

I think it is also almost dangerous to put a new coach in place ahead of March that will have a new philosophy and potential systems to load players up with. I'm not complaining if they act fast and hire someone in February. It's possible. March probably makes sense. Likely more interesting options in May too. 

Maybe we aren't camp poutining because we know an extended camp with the new coach will be needed this year.

Ok, that was a step too far and I broke the optimism meter. The fib-ulator alarm is going off

Devils advocate... would it not be better to get a new coach in place b4 the game against T&T?  You don't have to make monumental shifts in coaching/philosophy/player selection for that game.  Assuming you have all your regulars available, Canada should be strong enough to win that game regardless.  The more minutes a new coach has with his squad leading into Copa the better.

On 12/7/2023 at 12:09 AM, blueseeka said:

It's been so quiet since Jamaica. I think we know how this ends

Congratulations Mauro

On 9/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, blueseeka said:

I am not sure that i care for a motivated Biello. Wish him the best but this should not be the choice going into huge games in November.

This just strikes me as more CSA moving the goal post. A little Lucy and Charlie Brown action.

1st step - random posts about how money very likely will not be concern when hiring the next coach. Could be a decent size name with at least CONCACAF experience

2nd step - float ideas of interviewing lower paid head coaches like Bobby (i cant spell his last name, even though I am Greek)

3rd step - announce the temporary hire of Biello to guide them through hugely important November game

4th Step - PRAY PRAY PRAY, that they get past an inferior team to make it to Copa

5th Step - Announce that they have been impressed with Biello's guidance through these tough games and announce him the new head coach

6th - pay him 5% higher than his assistant coach job

Here we go again boys

On 9/20/2023 at 4:26 PM, blueseeka said:

Lol...this is the problem. We are supposed to beat teams like T&T, Cuba, Panama and Jamaica. The problem is we are not improving and will not with coaching at that level. If he wants to be a head coach, great. But not at the MNT level.  You don't learn at the MNT level.

The only Head coaching work i see, is two years with the Montreal Impact 2015-2017) and the U20 last year. The U20 performances wasn't good. This is who you want.

We all poop on players deciding not to play for Canada. But why in the world would they unless they had no other option like Hiebert, Zator or Loturi. Flores, Mitrovic and Morris will always chose to stay away. This hire just says we aren't serious about winning at the highest level

Shocking development today

And we didn't even beat Jamaica. T&T next

Congratulations Mauro.

Hopefully you prove me wrong

But this is again very underwhelming

Edited by blueseeka

@blueseeka I wanted to react "Like, Thanks, Laugh, Sad, and Confuse" to your post.

The reality is, I don't think anyone is surprised. 

We qualify and his contract is extended for the Copa America. However we do there, will determine his tag from going from Interim to Official.

We don't qualify, and then there's absolutely nothing to play for. No friendlies will be scheduled and the coach search continues.

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

@blueseeka I wanted to react "Like, Thanks, Laugh, Sad, and Confuse" to your post.

The reality is, I don't think anyone is surprised. 

We qualify and his contract is extended for the Copa America. However we do there, will determine his tag from going from Interim to Official.

We don't qualify, and then there's absolutely nothing to play for. No friendlies will be scheduled and the coach search continues.

Not surprised as others mentioned, but I would like to think that even if we qualify for COPA that he could still be replaced in time for the Tournament.