Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

23 minutes ago, nolando said:

https://wakingthered.com/2024/01/13/14209/toronto-fc-coach-john-herdman-challenges-lorenzo-insigne-federico-bernardeschi-theres-no-more-excuses/

Screenshot_20240113_182427_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a1b2ad6a48f2b08ee3964d64e13d4a3d.jpg

Nothing for 36 years is a bit much, John. We get that you feel you have "God's touch" but overlooking Gold Cup 2000 is more than we can forgive.

The relationship with the two Italians will be established depending on the quality of the start to their season. If they play poorly, but are started game in and game out, then Herdman will be undermined. How will JH as a manager respond to poor play or poor attitudes? That will be is test.

2 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Herdman's comments about the Bradley's is more damaging than his 36 year comments.  Even if true, such a bad look to chirp them and hang those that were in the locker room out to dry.

Did I miss something?  What did Herdman say about the Bradley's?

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Did I miss something?  What did Herdman say about the Bradley's?

"Two big personalities who were father and son," said Herdman, adding that the family ties made for "a bit of a recipe for disaster" when it came to trust in the locker room

Nothing wrong with that....as it's actual factual. Son that captain and dad the Head Coach is something you would see at U-11 soccer.

On 1/14/2024 at 4:29 AM, nolando said:

https://wakingthered.com/2024/01/13/14209/toronto-fc-coach-john-herdman-challenges-lorenzo-insigne-federico-bernardeschi-theres-no-more-excuses/

...Nothing for 36 years is a bit much, John. We get that you feel you have "God's touch" but overlooking Gold Cup 2000 is more than we can forgive.

Wonder what his assistant will make of it:

los-angeles-ca-canadian-goalkeeper-craig

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

And yet the guy at the top and who is still in the job didn't think it would have been an issue 🙄 

TFC is going all in with the CSA recipe for success. Incompetent management at the top is a key tenet. 

But seriously, I think Herdman is going to be exposed at TFC. It’s already been a ridiculous tenure in the fact he’s been manager since October and hasn’t managed a match. He’s clearly trying the same “woe is us” Ted Lasso belief approach but it’s not sustainable for any team he’s managed to date. He was a good manager for Canada in the timeframe he was there but success was inevitable with the squad we have. Much more to do with our team more than doubling their talent from the previous cycle. Yet he still wanted to cry to the media that those same players weren’t good enough any time he got scared. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Nothing wrong with that....as it's actual factual. Son that captain and dad the Head Coach is something you would see at U-11 soccer.

Agree, and there is nothing wrong with saying it, it's part of drawing the lines.  I'm with Herdman on this one.  Ignoring that issue would be a bigger fail, it needs to be mentioned and used as an example of what you want to move away from.

Saying the Bradley show was amateurish is being kind.

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

TFC is going all in with the CSA recipe for success. Incompetent management at the top is a key tenet. 

But seriously, I think Herdman is going to be exposed at TFC. It’s already been a ridiculous tenure in the fact he’s been manager since October and hasn’t managed a match. He’s clearly trying the same “woe is us” Ted Lasso belief approach but it’s not sustainable for any team he’s managed to date. He was a good manager for Canada in the timeframe he was there but success was inevitable with the squad we have. Much more to do with our team more than doubling their talent from the previous cycle. Yet he still wanted to cry to the media that those same players weren’t good enough any time he got scared. 

He's got his faults, but he's a bright man and good leader.  I just don't know him enough to say if he learns from his mistakes or if the obvious ego gets in the way. 

I feel Herdman will play the management and leader role and let his crew do the actual strategic on-field coaching.  I'm confident this part will work.  The part I'm more concerned about is the relationship between Herdman and the management above him.  I feel egos and politics might become an issue.  They just need to keep it far from the team.

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yawn.

4 hours ago, costarg said:

He's got his faults, but he's a bright man and good leader.  I just don't know him enough to say if he learns from his mistakes or if the obvious ego gets in the way. 

I feel Herdman will play the management and leader role and let his crew do the actual strategic on-field coaching.  I'm confident this part will work.  The part I'm more concerned about is the relationship between Herdman and the management above him.  I feel egos and politics might become an issue.  They just need to keep it far from the team.

You could be right and hopefully you are. It’s a pretty big risk by Manning & co. but they clearly don’t have many ideas so this is obviously not the worst scenario. He definitely had his moments with Canada.