Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

As mentioned in the Ancelotti thread: 

IMG_4698.jpeg

Now that the pipe dream is over, who’s next preferred on the list? 

This was reported here a few days ago.

I think he tired of waiting for Brazil, Canada can't pay anything useful. And in effect, if he really wants to go he can go and RM will let him, they won't retain him. 

Them being top of the league and through easily in Champions made it easier for Florentino to offer him the extension, it takes some speculation off the table and allows him to keep control of a dressing room that has bits and pieces of dissidence (Modric) and needs some signings (a keeper perhaps, a CB). You have to not seem provisional to be able to put your foot down.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Crepeau is a free agent, so there's still time for Ancelotti to help Canada out...😉

Courtois has the long-term injury, and Kepa is not convincing. Then they have Lunin who is really third-keeper material. 

Crepeau has a bit of Casillas characteristics, he's not a big frame or tall, he's very sure, a good stopper of breakaways, good in the air for his height.

I think Carlo might help us out with Davies.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

DeVos hired as a TFC assistant, last day with the fed will be January 12th. Hoping this means a new general secretary is soon to come, but we may be rudderless for a while.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

DeVos hired as a TFC assistant, last day with the fed will be January 12th. Hoping this means a new general secretary is soon to come, but we may be rudderless for a while.

No problem with it, but doesn't Herdman have a particularly large staff with him now at TFC?

Frankly I have never really analysed what is optimal when it comes to support and technical staff for a football team. 

I know you have an assistant, a second assistant, usually a goalkeeper coach as their training is different. Then 2-3 physios doing more and more physical planning and prep, a team doctor, two equipment guys. That's a locker room, leaving the doctor aside, 7-8 on a staff. Then Herdman has added Gayle for Performance and Wellness, which must be a new profile. Or am I wrong, is it not unusual nowadays?

I also find it odd he's gone for so many of the same people, basically validating his NT experience.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No problem with it, but doesn't Herdman have a particularly large staff with him now at TFC?

Frankly I have never really analysed what is optimal when it comes to support and technical staff for a football team. 

I know you have an assistant, a second assistant, usually a goalkeeper coach as their training is different. Then 2-3 physios doing more and more physical planning and prep, a team doctor, two equipment guys. That's a locker room, leaving the doctor aside, 7-8 on a staff. Then Herdman has added Gayle for Performance and Wellness, which must be a new profile. Or am I wrong, is it not unusual nowadays?

I also find it odd he's gone for so many of the same people, basically validating his NT experience.

Pure speculation, but being that Herdman sees himself more as an institutional guy- laying the foundation to a successful organization and building a culture and all, if he thinks that his downfall with the national team has to do with the fact that he only spends a few weeks a year with his guys, so there’s only so much he can do to impact the players and influence the direction of the program. Thus with TFC his point of view is that let’s run it back the same way, except now that he’s shaping his team, spending every week with his players, really putting his mark on a team that plays games every single week, he’ll have time to really do things the right way with the right staff around him. I do also think coaching his first ever club team this late in his career is a big move, so having the stability of bringing along some familiar faces might help him hit the ground on the right foot.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

...I do also think coaching his first ever club team this late in his career is a big move, so having the stability of bringing along some familiar faces might help him hit the ground on the right foot.

It's quite standard nowadays in European soccer for a manager to bring a lot of his own staff who follow him from job to job so he doesn't get undermined by the people around him.

38 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Pure speculation, but being that Herdman sees himself more as an institutional guy- laying the foundation to a successful organization and building a culture and all, if he thinks that his downfall with the national team has to do with the fact that he only spends a few weeks a year with his guys, so there’s only so much he can do to impact the players and influence the direction of the program. Thus with TFC his point of view is that let’s run it back the same way, except now that he’s shaping his team, spending every week with his players, really putting his mark on a team that plays games every single week, he’ll have time to really do things the right way with the right staff around him. I do also think coaching his first ever club team this late in his career is a big move, so having the stability of bringing along some familiar faces might help him hit the ground on the right foot.

Looking in more detail, Herdman now has Tenllado, Eaddy, Gayle and Dodgshon, plus now De Vos. I am not sure if he's stuck with Dunfield or if that was just an end-of-season gesture. If you add the physios and equipment guys, that puts maybe 8 more bodies in the dressing room.

I think he should have an Italian speaker as an assistant to handle those guys they signed, to shadow them and do a bit of coddling as well.

46 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's quite standard nowadays in European soccer for a manager to bring a lot of his own staff who follow him from job to job so he doesn't get undermined by the people around him.

True, and it is sometimes very positive, and sometimes a drawback.

At Barça, Xavi Hernández has his brother in there, and the guys he went to Qatar with for his first coaching job, and they are not very good at all. This is a major factor in the team's relative success nowadays. In fact, since he's a bit of a novice, he gets nothing positive from his conversations with his brother and the rest. The brother iirc  was working in the family business, a stall at a market in the neighbouring town from where they are from. 

Get a technically strong guy beside you, someone you can really converse with. Tenllado they say has a high analytical level, I would think there are times Herdman ignores him as he's probably too opinionated at times (and probably Tenllado has learnt when to shut up and let JH make the decisions). De Vos is also opinionated. I like it when a coach can hammer out decisions, like in-game tactical shifts, subs, with high level assistants. They speak their minds, the coach takes it or leaves it.

Herdman also delegates his conversations with a team roster to his assistants, at least he did with the NT (I have this from tidbits I've learnt from a few insiders). 

Here's my inside story about this: when Fernando Aguilar was signed for Benfica, and at that time I was in conversation with him privately, I told him that the key to the coach, the Spaniard Camacho, was his assistant. In Camacho's case Pepe Carcelén was crucial, he went everywhere with him, trusted him, and gave him a major role. They were inseparable for 20 years, including at Real Madrid, for the Spanish and Chinese national teams...

It seems Aguilar took my advice, he connected with Carcelén, and that might have helped a guy who could have been on the bench all season to be the team's 12th man that year. Camacho left before the season ended, but by then Aguilar had solidified his spot on the team.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

So global economic force and regional footy powerhouse Curacao can hire a world class coach... Sigh

...but here in Canada we have due process. First the GS has to start their first day sometime in Jan. Then a top search consultant must be hired...so a few weeks...then an international search has to be conducted, seeking the brightest &  best coaches out there somewhere. After 1 yr of an extensive & exhaustive worldwide search, where no stone was left unturned, the candidates  are shortlisted...and then and only then can a new coach be hired.

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

...but here in Canada we have due process. First the GS has to start their first day sometime in Jan. Then a top search consultant must be hired...so a few weeks...then an international search has to be conducted, seeking the brightest &  best coaches out there somewhere. After 1 yr of an extensive & exhaustive worldwide search, where no stone was left unturned, the candidates  are shortlisted...and then and only then can a new coach be hired.

And then because no decent manager wants to get paid the low salary that we can offer we will end up offering the role to... Mauro Biello