Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Jesse Marsh moved with the Red Bull family, first going to a club in Austria with overwhelming resources that doesn't lose the league regardless of manager, then moving to Leipzig where he was let go in the middle of the first season with a losing record, was eventually hired by American owners at Leeds where he lead them to a losing record and was let go mid-season (and they were eventually relegated). 

You're right, he doesn't need to jump from Columbus right away.  But if he's lead two budget teams (one much more budget than the other) to top 3 finishes plus an MLS Cup it also feels like his stock is high, and I don't know if he can make it higher in Columbus.

Yeah, I think if the offers are there, he should take them. He’s the best manager in a relatively strong league, the natural pathway should be to move to a higher level, see if he can repeat, and keep going from there. 

Another manager that reminds me of Nancy in terms of non traditional path to get to where he is, is Stade Reims’ Will Still- retired young, learned to coach from Football Manager, started as a video analyst for a team in the Belgian Second Div, grinds for a couple years, found himself as an assistant at Reims, manager gets sacked and still becomes their manager a day before he turned 30. If a candidate with that profile can become the manager of a mid table French team, why not Nancy who has a better resume than Still did at this point?

Re: the Red Bull set up- I don’t think it would be the best use of all that Nancy has to offer, but I do wonder what he could do in a situation like at Salzburg where the title is pretty much pre determined, and he has all this great young talent at his disposal. If nothing else, he could get those Red Bill owners way paid with how good he’ll make their guys look.

Lots of discussion about Nancy here, and for good reason. IMO, it’s only a matter of time until he’s managing in a top 5 European league. The difference between him and other MLS winning coaches is his style of play, which he first implemented with a mediocre (at best) Montreal side, then took to Columbus. In his 2 years in MLS, his teams played aesthetically pleasing soccer that won. This is what every big club in the world looks to achieve. After one season, Tim Bezbetchenko payed Montreal a fee, which is a first in MLS history (discussed on ExtraTime). Finally, he found immediate success without overhauling either roster. He is no doubt on the radar for European clubs. 

As for Canada, we should be moving mountains to convince him to take us to 2026. Our squad would fit his system like a glove. Unfortunately his stock is high, and we likely can’t afford him. And sadly, until our house is in order, we’ll struggle to convince any top tier manager that has better options.

Really great Herdman interview on CBC, really terrible for all things CANMNT:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/podcasts/players-own-voice/john-herdman-world-cup-shouldn-t-have-went-1.7055347

His sister died from suicide in May- I had no idea, but he’s now saying he regrets going to the World Cup and wishes he had stepped down prior because he wasn’t what the team needed and his heart wasn’t in it. Says organizationally, Canada was not ready to compete in a World Cup. Also says that in working for TFC, he “finally” gets to work for an organization that has the proper resources to support players and staff which is obviously a shot at Canada soccer which we can all agree with, but still.

None of this is stuff we didn’t know, but still feels some type of way to hear it from the horse’s mouth that the organization wasn’t ready for the World Cup, the players were selfish, and the coach’s heart wasn’t in it. Issues so clearly stated should be the first step in avoiding all of these for 2026, but my sense is that won’t be the case. 

Potential replacement could be a manager who has won 19 trophies over 20 years. He is a former manager of South Africa, winner of domestic trophies in Egypt, South Africa & Saudi Arabia, 3-time winner of African Champions League and CAF manager of the Year in 2016.

In an Athletic article, he's looking for "a big national team maybe. I would like to explore. I’m driven by winning things in different countries or continents. I want to win the Africa Cup of Nations and the World Cup. What my good friend Walid Regragui has done with Morocco has brought something out in me. But I’m not closing down club football.”

His style is for teams to build from the back, keep the ball and dominate our opponents. When we don’t have possession, we need to recover the ball as soon as possible. I’m a big fan of Manchester City, Brighton, Arsenal and Ancelotti at Real Madrid.

His name is Pitso Mosimane.

https://theathletic.com/5133837/2023/12/15/pitso-mosimane-interview-afcon/

29 minutes ago, Vasi said:

New general secretary soon?

https://x.com/justBlakePrice/status/1737603833407344762?s=20

Coach to follow soon after!

Not sure who this guy is. But works for mls on apple per his x bio.  Reliable source? 

If true, surprised that Wheeler is not screaming out hints. Maybe he is not trusted any more.😝

Blake Price was the TSN Whitecaps announcers before Apple got the rights

3 hours ago, Vasi said:

So I'm assuming he is reliable. 

Worked for TSN for a long time. I recall when you use to do the morning show that was also involved in one of the local soccer associations. Surprised people don't know him because i feel like he was an anchor on Sportscenter for many years

Edited by SpursFlu

More CSA  corruption and old boy network nepotism incoming, or do we have reason to hope? We are desperate for a coach who can get us to the full world level, build and keep us there. We cant take anymore of these unqualified goons and expect to go anywhere but further back into the sh%tter. 

Please god, no more "marketing" people ala CSB. We need experienced, tactically competant coaching and staff with World Cupexperience. We're hosting a WC soon. Its getting harder to watch this.

11 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

More CSA  corruption and old boy network nepotism incoming, or do we have reason to hope? We are desperate for a coach who can get us to the full world level, build and keep us there. We cant take anymore of these unqualified goons and expect to go anywhere but further back into the sh%tter. 

Please god, no more "marketing" people ala CSB. We need experienced, tactically competant coaching and staff with World Cupexperience. We're hosting a WC soon. Its getting harder to watch this.

Why so negative?

11 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

cart before the horse. we do not know anything about CSA appointments, let alone coaching selection.

We literally cleared out the old boy regime - thats your first reason for hope. 

Can you name a single marketing person from the CSB that has impacted our on field performances or tactical identity or coaching selection? Can you name a single person in a marketing position at CSB without googling it? 

Herdman was our most succesful coach (arguably). floro coached RM so hes clearly qualified to coach canada even if he wasnt the best fit or got the best results.