Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Curious if Nancy is actually on the radar.  He may be content in Columbus but after showing he can install positive footy in two different MLS clubs in quick succession, I think his resume is getting more attractive.   

No question about this in my mind. He should be in the mix if he's interested. Excellent manager. 

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Curious if Nancy is actually on the radar.  He may be content in Columbus but after showing he can install positive footy in two different MLS clubs in quick succession, I think his resume is getting more attractive.   

I feel the Canada job is only interesting for two types:

1- someone young without too much high-level coaching experience looking for an opportunity to prove something and open doors for the future, willing to sacrifice money for a few years, (A Smyrniotis type).

2- the guy winding down with nothing to prove that does not need the money but looking for a project (the Ancelotti type).

Nancy is neither of these.  He's proved himself twice with two different teams, has not had his major pay day yet.  I'm pretty sure his next gig will be for the money.

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

I feel the Canada job is only interesting for two types:

1- someone young without too much high-level coaching experience looking for an opportunity to prove something and open doors for the future, willing to sacrifice money for a few years, (A Smyrniotis type).

2- the guy winding down with nothing to prove that does not need the money but looking for a project (the Ancelotti type).

Nancy is neither of these.  He's proved himself twice with two different teams, has not had his major pay day yet.  I'm pretty sure his next gig will be for the money.

I am not sure I would consider a lone MLS Cup as being “proven” on the world footy scene.  Coaching Canada to positive results at the Copa and then the 2026 WC would be the kind of attention-getting gig that would boost his profile in a way that MLS coaching could not (IMO).  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not sure I would consider a lone MLS Cup as being “proven” on the world footy scene.  Coaching Canada to positive results at the Copa and then the 2026 WC would be the kind of attention-getting gig that would boost his profile in a way that MLS coaching could not (IMO).  

Ronny Delia won the MLS Cup with NYCFC and then got a job in Belgium and is now Tajon's current manager

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Ronny Delia won the MLS Cup with NYCFC and then got a job in Belgium and is now Tajon's current manager

Greg Vanney won an MLS Cup with TFC and is now coaching the LA Galaxy.  There are a wide range of outcomes for MLS championship coaches.

I am just saying that one MLS Cup does not make him too good for Canada.  

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

Delia already had European experience though, so he was merely returning back from NA. Before NYCFC he previously coached Celtic I think and also Rosenberg if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Feels like a Canadian manager winning MLS should be a bigger deal.

I'm guessing Nancy has higher ambitions than the CanMNT at this point maybe? Ligue 1 perhaps?

We've seen other MLS managers move to Europe. Why not the current champ?

Isn't Nancy French?

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Greg Vanney won an MLS Cup with TFC and is now coaching the LA Galaxy.  There are a wide range of outcomes for MLS championship coaches.

I am just saying that one MLS Cup does not make him too good for Canada.  

Vanney had a limitless budget with TFC when he won.  That played a large part in his win. 

Nancy went well beyond expectations with one of the lowest payrolls in Montreal, and won with a mid-range payroll with the Crew.  

13 minutes ago, costarg said:

Vanney had a limitless budget with TFC when he won.  That played a large part in his win. 

Nancy went well beyond expectations with one of the lowest payrolls in Montreal, and won with a mid-range payroll with the Crew.  

I still don’t see his resume as making him too good to coach a small team at a Copa and a World Cup.   If anything, his recent success makes him a candidate for that kind of higher profile move.   Let’s not overstate MLS’s position in the global footy hierarchy.   

45 minutes ago, costarg said:

lol nobody has a limitless budget in MLS...but I guess Vanney's TFC was the closest thing. 

Either way, Nancy has more than proven himself at this point. I would love for him to be the national team manager, but with his stock now at an all-time high and with Canada being mediocre since the World Cup, I don't think the stars will align.

40 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Thing is, next CMNT manager is set to feature in 1 World Cup and 1 Copa America (and 1 Gold Cup..). That’s attractive.

Definitely very attractive, as long as the power people leading the CSA don't bail on him in the seven months or so prior to the big event and decide to go in a different direction.

I think that he will want to eventually try his chance in Europe, he could go back to France and coach somewhere in League 1. Also, if he wanted to switch to the national game for some reason, there’s no reason to think the US wouldn’t give him an offer. Berhalter was also Columbus’ coach and he was hired without wining a championship. He saw what it’s like to manage a team with severe budgetary restrictions and weak leadership that handcuffs the team with Montreal- I don’t know why he’d want to do it all over again with Canada.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think that he will want to eventually try his chance in Europe, he could go back to France and coach somewhere in League 1. Also, if he wanted to switch to the national game for some reason, there’s no reason to think the US wouldn’t give him an offer. Berhalter was also Columbus’ coach and he was hired without wining a championship. He saw what it’s like to manage a team with severe budgetary restrictions and weak leadership that handcuffs the team with Montreal- I don’t know why he’d want to do it all over again with Canada.

Sometimes it's about timing.  If the US still had an interim head coach, then maybe he looks in to that.  But they rehired Berhalter, which probably puts the time line at about 3 years before they're looking for a new manger (ie post WC).  If you're Nancy, you probably don't want to wait that long.

How often have coaches successfully gone from MLS to anywhere in Europe?  I ask this in all seriousness. And how big of a club would it need to be for him to go there?  I can't imagine him moving to a club that's in the relegation mix, but that's likely what's open right now. 

He could stay in Columbus, but honestly now also might be the time for him to strike and try to step up again.  Whether that's the Canada job or not is up for debate, but a good crop of players and 2 or 3 major tournaments (depending on your thoughts of the Gold Cup) has to be tempting.  I can't imagine a chance to manage the host of a WC would come along again.

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sometimes it's about timing.  If the US still had an interim head coach, then maybe he looks in to that.  But they rehired Berhalter, which probably puts the time line at about 3 years before they're looking for a new manger (ie post WC).  If you're Nancy, you probably don't want to wait that long.

How often have coaches successfully gone from MLS to anywhere in Europe?  I ask this in all seriousness. And how big of a club would it need to be for him to go there?  I can't imagine him moving to a club that's in the relegation mix, but that's likely what's open right now. 

He could stay in Columbus, but honestly now also might be the time for him to strike and try to step up again.  Whether that's the Canada job or not is up for debate, but a good crop of players and 2 or 3 major tournaments (depending on your thoughts of the Gold Cup) has to be tempting.  I can't imagine a chance to manage the host of a WC would come along again.

I don’t know how many, but why couldn’t Nancy have a similar career to Jesse Marsch? He made his way through Europe and ended up as a premier league coach, if not for a short time. I don’t necessarily think he needs to jump ship from Columbus right away, but this is now two top 3 MLS finishes and one MLS championship in two seasons. If next year he takes them deep into the playoffs again, I think that would make him an attractive candidate for a team in a top 5 European league. Then, if he can recreate what he did at Columbus, which is what he did in Montreal but with a bigger budget, with a European team with an even bigger budget, he could eventually find himself coaching at a very, very high level. 

29 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t know how many, but why couldn’t Nancy have a similar career to Jesse Marsch? He made his way through Europe and ended up as a premier league coach, if not for a short time. I don’t necessarily think he needs to jump ship from Columbus right away, but this is now two top 3 MLS finishes and one MLS championship in two seasons. If next year he takes them deep into the playoffs again, I think that would make him an attractive candidate for a team in a top 5 European league. Then, if he can recreate what he did at Columbus, which is what he did in Montreal but with a bigger budget, with a European team with an even bigger budget, he could eventually find himself coaching at a very, very high level. 

Jesse Marsh moved with the Red Bull family, first going to a club in Austria with overwhelming resources that doesn't lose the league regardless of manager, then moving to Leipzig where he was let go in the middle of the first season with a losing record, was eventually hired by American owners at Leeds where he lead them to a losing record and was let go mid-season (and they were eventually relegated). 

You're right, he doesn't need to jump from Columbus right away.  But if he's lead two budget teams (one much more budget than the other) to top 3 finishes plus an MLS Cup it also feels like his stock is high, and I don't know if he can make it higher in Columbus.