Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

I think Costa Rica is a fairly well respected football country, and Christiansen's Panama just dismantled them over 2 legs. I don't think it's surprising that after leading them to 2nd at the Gold Cup (and could have won it) and to the Copa America that he might think he's both taken them almost as far as he can and that now is the time to move on from a smaller nation. Which isn't to say he'd take the Canada job, just that I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone from Panama before 2026.

6 hours ago, johnyb said:

WC 2026

That's the grand prize...if that person is allowed to remain in the job for the big event.  I am sure any supposedly highly qualified candidate is going to want contract terms that leave the CSA on the hook for some very significant coin if they decide to kiss and make up with Herdman if he decides to Nick Saban his way out of TFC following the 2025 MLS season.

Bookmark this post and then check it again two years from now.  I'm throwing down the gauntlet to @MtlMario and his crystal ball with this one 😆 .  Give me some FanDuel odds here!

On 11/24/2023 at 5:19 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

If we have no executive director, and supposedly we can't hire until we do, how the hell is there a short-list?

Seriously, fuckin' CSA: if the guy is currently in a job and has qualified for the Copa America, don't start leaking these lame rumours which put him in a pinch with his current employer. A bit of confidentiality, and respect the loyalty he surely has with his current federation. Which, by the way, is doing better than ours. 

People forget we invited them to fly to Vancouver on short notice, they were basically doing us a favour (likely brokered through Montagliani), came, we left them high and dry and had to compensate them. They are already in a F-ck C----- mode, long before Herdman thought he'd invented the concept, doesn't help to be openly poaching. 

What I figure is that Christiansen does not mind this as it may help him negotiate better terms with Panama, who will definitely want to keep him through next summer and, considering qualifying for 2026 won't be terribly hard for them, for the next WC.

Seems pretty clear that this is just Nef making stuff up.  I would put about as much stock in this report as you put into anything said by Phonzie's agents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 12:49 AM, jordan said:

Is it even a rumour, seems more of a statement.

IMG_0512.thumb.jpeg.e78a0c0ac2628eea0c90ad07ef1ab2b0.jpeg

Did people really not grasp that at no point did Thomas Nef state that the CSA is even considering Christiansen? All he states is that he might be one of the possibilities if Mauro Biello is not viewed as the answer, but then he casts doubt as to whether he even meets the criteria that have been set. How to fill air time without actually saying anything basically. He'd be a good fit at Onesoccer doing that.

9 hours ago, blueseeka said:

It's been so quiet since Jamaica. I think we know how this ends

Congratulations Mauro

We knew months ago that no appointment would be made until 2024. They have a head hunting company looking for possible candidates and are taking their time as they need a general secretary first.  

Maybe biello gets the job but the logic that it has been quiet and therefore he gets the job is 100% incorrect.