Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We should all pitch in financially to get one soon, if only to shut Javier up.

What is even more ridiculous, is that Argentines have sharply divergent managerial models and often there are extreme divisions between camps, with deepset rivalries between one coaching manner and another. And going on for decades. At least since the Menotti-Bilardo rift. So the mere suggestion that there is an Argentine (or Uruguayan, which is why he says "rioplatense") way of doing things is something any Argentine footie fan would realise is false. 

Fact is, Argentina has a rich tactical and strategic football culture, and the pundits are very smart, but they can radically disagree and the emnity can be brutal. So you can never say you want an Argentine, you can only say you want one type, to the detriment of another.

You disappointed me my mate,  hey bub,  Menotti is Guardiola and Bilardo is Mourinho let's say it,  they both influenced the game.   Still an argie or Uruguayan is in the mix.  From the old fashioned coaches of the world,  Martin O'Neill could be an answer and he can tidy your shit of a mess,  plus as a good old Irishman has a good eye for some Canadian beauties from the female team,  the good old Martin what an educated womanizer  he still is!!! 

Edited by JAVIERF

3 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I've come to terms that it would seem crazy to hire Bobby due to the limited experience. 

However, we are experience like he said a generational talent with this team and it would be very hard for anyone to under perform with this team. (Losing convincingly to anyone not USA or Mexico) 

So the patriot in me says sign Bobby up. But the pragmatic Canada soccer fan says vet all options and go with the best coach with experience available.

19 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Quique Sanchez Flores on a short-term deal through to 2025. Jeffrey, tell me why this is a horrible idea?

Is that a rumour out there? He's available I think, he was fired by Getafe last spring.

He's not my favourite, though he has coached at a high level, like At Madrid, Benfica, Watford.

Maybe I have witnessed how certain fan bases, like at Valencia, were extremely harsh with him; and at Getafe too. He tends not to be liked by the fans of his teams. But then, that is probably not fair. In Valencia, especially, they are the cruelest fanbase in Spain and the hardest to please. 

He has no set tactical ideas, he'll change a lot, and adjust to the players and the level of the team. This maybe makes him hard to read. If it works, great; if not, then you'll find it is easy to criticize how he gets set in his ways.

He's used to coaching high-level talent, and he himself played at a high level. I don't think he's ever had a national team. 

I find him a bit dry and sometimes a bit flat or even downer (I feel this about Tata Martino too). 

Flores is family with the famous Spanish singer and dancer Lola Flores, and her children who are also singers; he's ethnic Romani (gitano), but while they were historically discriminated and still are, he's from a rather illustrious branch. I think his godfather when he was baptised was Di Stéfano. So he's a sort of working class aristocrat. This is all quite interesting, I find, but is not related to his coaching ability.

I much prefer other kinds of coaches from Spain, like if they fire Iraola at Bournemouth. I prefer the Basques (in EPL, Emery, Arteta, Javi Gracia), and the northern Spaniards.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

That rumour also says he would accept an extension from Real Madrid if they offered him one

There was a story in Marca this week that Carletto has the squad upset, that there are too many players who are complaining, a lot of players are out of position (like Rodrygo), others say they are happier at their national teams. Modric and Kroos are finally getting the message the won't be starters anymore. And this is a team leading the league. Then they got all focused on signing Mbappe and forgot to sign a quality striker, they have Joselu on loan from Espanyol of all places. A few key injuries like Courtois.

On top of that, Florentino Pérez has come out suggesting he'd like to find his Guardiola, meaning a guy like Raul, someone from the academy and a former player.

So I seriously doubt he'd be extended.

Canada would have to find a million a year for him, then another 600 grand for his team, something like that. Not sure we have it. But I personally believe he'd be successful as a Canada manager, he's a very even, softspoken guy who knows how to compete, gives a lot of responsibility to his players. And he'd have a committment to Canada a lot of foreigners would not.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

If Madrid is getting tired of him, they're out. I don't see what he stands to gain by coaching Manchester United- I mean, how long would it take to right that ship? I don't get the impression from his interviews that he wants a job that is more difficult than the one he currently has, so I can't picture it. That leaves it between us and Brazil, and the choice is for all intents and purposes whether he wants to try and add a world cup to his resume, or if he wants to take the Canada job as a way to slow down his career and cruise into retirement after 2026. I think Brazil is obviously the best choice for his career and is still one of the top jobs in the entire sport, but when you've reached the top as many times as he has, I wonder if there's an allure to an easier job with a lot less pressure. If Brazil don't go to the WC semis, he might get fired over it, but if say, he gets Canada to the knockout round in the world cup and we get smacked by whoever, he can retire on his own terms.

Still think he goes to Brazil, but I do think Canada is a more attractive prospect for him that it may appear.

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If Madrid is getting tired of him, they're out. I don't see what he stands to gain by coaching Manchester United- I mean, how long would it take to right that ship? I don't get the impression from his interviews that he wants a job that is more difficult than the one he currently has, so I can't picture it. That leaves it between us and Brazil, and the choice is for all intents and purposes whether he wants to try and add a world cup to his resume, or if he wants to take the Canada job as a way to slow down his career and cruise into retirement after 2026. I think Brazil is obviously the best choice for his career and is still one of the top jobs in the entire sport, but when you've reached the top as many times as he has, I wonder if there's an allure to an easier job with a lot less pressure. If Brazil don't go to the WC semis, he might get fired over it, but if say, he gets Canada to the knockout round in the world cup and we get smacked by whoever, he can retire on his own terms.

Still think he goes to Brazil, but I do think Canada is a more attractive prospect for him that it may appear.

He makes 3-4 times more coaching Brazil, on top of it all.

But there's something else: when has Brazil not had a Brazilian manager? It isn't the easiest call. Then there are Brazil players and former players who would lobby for him (starting with the Real Madrid boys) and others would lobby against him, so it could be more divisive than getting the best option they have in Brazil itself. 

Canada is a job that has none of that pressure or extra baggage tossed on for good measure. If Ancellotti had been coaching during the Uruguay loss Tuesday, the criticisms would have been far more severe.

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He makes 3-4 times more coaching Brazil, on top of it all.

But there's something else: when has Brazil not had a Brazilian manager? It isn't the easiest call. Then there are Brazil players and former players who would lobby for him (starting with the Real Madrid boys) and others would lobby against him, so it could be more divisive than getting the best option they have in Brazil itself. 

Canada is a job that has none of that pressure or extra baggage tossed on for good measure. If Ancellotti had been coaching during the Uruguay loss Tuesday, the criticisms would have been far more severe.

I imagine at his level he has all the money he wants- if it was about money there are 20 Saudi Arabian jobs that would pay him triple Brazil’s salary, and if he does want one final score, he can coach us through 2026, take a one year contract in KSA for €20M Euros and retire in ‘27.

As far as non-Brazilian coaches, per what I found, they had an Argentinian manager manage one friendly in 1965,  before that, a Portuguese manager (who played his career as a player and ref all in Brazil) co-managing two games in 1945, and prior to that a Uruguayan coach co-managed the team during the 1925 South American championship. Things are different now of course, but it’s been nearly 60 years since they’ve had a non-Brazilian manager, and over the last century they seem to have played only one single game under a non-Brazilian head coach without a co-manager. Ancelotti is special, but does Brazil want to trust a foreig manager with the fate of their program? The yellow shirt has always been a Brazilian nationalist symbol, even more so over the last decade, so I think there will be a significant contingent of fans who want the job to go to a Brazilian. 

It’s different for us, but I can’t imagine Canada’s hockey team hiring an American coach, no matter now successful he is. We went into last world championship with the coyotes head coach and I am positive there are much better non-Canadian head coaches who they could’ve called, but when you’re the best of the best, you try and keep it local.

Edited by InglewoodJack

6 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Drake? Half joking.

But there's a curse that comes with that support...

Steve Nash has some money.  Ryan Reynolds has some money.  Both like soccer and Canada.  Not sure that's the best criteria but when you're desperate...

19 minutes ago, GasPed said:

But there's a curse that comes with that support...

Steve Nash has some money.  Ryan Reynolds has some money.  Both like soccer and Canada.  Not sure that's the best criteria but when you're desperate...

Those ones are both prob better. And Drake is cursed, but Raptors won a title, so maybe if it’s a Canadian team the curse doesn’t apply as much. Also if the curse is not winning a championship, I’m not sure we need to worry about that for right now 🤣 And funding and attention (leading to more funding) is a good thing.

We laugh about Drake, but him wearing that awesome vintage CANMNT shirt at a concert would probably be the biggest marketing event in Canadian soccer in ages. Not to mention, he had KD in a video- have one with Davies. Hell, Davies is a rapper too, give him a verse and watch the sponsorship dollars explode. Let’s get the OVO National Training Grounds too. 

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

We laugh about Drake, but him wearing that awesome vintage CANMNT shirt at a concert would probably be the biggest marketing event in Canadian soccer in ages. Not to mention, he had KD in a video- have one with Davies. Hell, Davies is a rapper too, give him a verse and watch the sponsorship dollars explode. Let’s get the OVO National Training Grounds too. 

:lol: