Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

So they are doing a hire after to GS is hired...when was this decision made? 

What a waste of initial interviews with the ones who already did.

I'm assuming this is part of their extensive global hiring search project that will cost a few million and have De Voss as GS and Biello as out HC. 

Just now, Big_M said:

if he does well as interim then why not?

Lol...this is the problem. We are supposed to beat teams like T&T, Cuba, Panama and Jamaica. The problem is we are not improving and will not with coaching at that level. If he wants to be a head coach, great. But not at the MNT level.  You don't learn at the MNT level.

The only Head coaching work i see, is two years with the Montreal Impact 2015-2017) and the U20 last year. The U20 performances wasn't good. This is who you want.

We all poop on players deciding not to play for Canada. But why in the world would they unless they had no other option like Hiebert, Zator or Loturi. Flores, Mitrovic and Morris will always chose to stay away. This hire just says we aren't serious about winning at the highest level

36 minutes ago, Big_M said:

I think the point is to have someone with pedigree. Biello had one successful season as HC of the impact. Lost to TFC in the semi final and got fired next season. That is not pedigree. Nor does it inspire confidence. 

I rather go with Smerniotis. He has won a league title a few times. But in all honesty I don't want him either.

Edited by Vasi

12 minutes ago, Big_M said:

We've had several coaches in the past with less credentials than Biello and some of them weren't even that bad.

Stephen Hart for example did a good job in my opinion and he had no prior pro coaching experience, just worked himself up the ranks at the CSA. Before that was Dale Mitchell, who had less coaching experience than Hart and a less impressive tenure as well.

Then on the other side of the spectrum we had the ultra credentialled manager Benito Floro, who was arguably the worst of the lot, even though he previously coached Real Madrid (like a million years ago). 

I am less convinced that a solid "resume" on paper is important and grass is not always greener on the other side. Biello getting the job would be a lack of imagination from the CSA, but if the results on the field remain good then maybe it's fine.

4 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Lol...this is the problem. We are supposed to beat teams like T&T, Cuba, Panama and Jamaica. The problem is we are not improving and will not with coaching at that level. If he wants to be a head coach, great. But not at the MNT level.  You don't learn at the MNT level.

This. 

These teams should not test us in reality. And playing a few games against poor opposition is not a long enough test for an interim coach.

These results should decide weather he gets crucified or not. Lol if you lose to cuba or tnt do not come back home. 

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

I am not sure that i care for a motivated Biello. Wish him the best but this should not be the choice going into huge games in November.

This just strikes me as more CSA moving the goal post. A little Lucy and Charlie Brown action.

1st step - random posts about how money very likely will not be concern when hiring the next coach. Could be a decent size name with at least CONCACAF experience

2nd step - float ideas of interviewing lower paid head coaches like Bobby (i cant spell his last name, even though I am Greek)

3rd step - announce the temporary hire of Biello to guide them through hugely important November game

4th Step - PRAY PRAY PRAY, that they get past an inferior team to make it to Copa

5th Step - Announce that they have been impressed with Biello's guidance through these tough games and announce him the new head coach

6th - pay him 5% higher than his assistant coach job

Here we go again boys

Im not saying I think you are right or wrong but lets assume the exact opposite and the CSA are going to hire a star coach. Steps 1-4 are the exact same. 

At this point, theres no real evidence to suggest CSA will go either way. 

If we talk about financials, hiring an outside agency to look for a coach is likely going to cost more than the savings we would get from having biello on a lower contract.  The numbers are just so miniscule in the grand scheme of things that if the CSA hire biello, it wont be for saving 100k a year. It may be incompetence to hire biello but I firmly believe that no one on the board looks at hiring biello as the way to financially save CSA because the second the hire biello, everyone knows that we still have 4.9 million in lost cash to make up. 

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I guess he won’t go back to being Canada’s assistant.  You don’t say this publicly then go back to being an assistant when you don’t get it.  Have you ever actually seen an interim manager say something like this to the media?  Seems weird.

I feel like I’ve seen it from pretty much every interim coach/manager ever

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

I feel like I’ve seen it from pretty much every interim coach/manager ever

I think the difference here is that interim managers often say they want to be the permanent manager, but seldom do they say they've been working their whole life to get this opportunity. That level of passion is what has me feeling good about Biello.

Again, not saying he's suddenly my number one choice because of a little passion, but I definitely feel better knowing how passionate he is about the job. If the results on the field are good AND we have a manager who worked his whole life for this opportunity, I am open to him getting the job permanently. Results have to be good though.

Speaking of which, what are our expectations for Biello here?

For me it's:

• Qualify for the NL semi final (and the Copa America by extension)
  • Finish 3rd or higher in NL (if he's still at the helm by then)

There's nothing to say that there won't be a coaching short-list ready for the new General Secretary to review on Day 1, with a quick final interview process, followed by a job offer within a few weeks of the GS coming in. If the idea is that they're going to hire a GS, and he'll start the coaching search from scratch, then we can probably write off 2024.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

There's nothing to say that there won't be a coaching short-list ready for the new General Secretary to review on Day 1, with a quick final interview process, followed by a job offer within a few weeks of the GS coming in. If the idea is that they're going to hire a GS, and he'll start the coaching search from scratch, then we can probably write off 2024.

And this is exactly how I feel if a coach isn't in place before year end.

I was wishfully thinking that we could have someone in by the November games, but it's looking more likely to be the new manager having a few games in March as hopeful preparation for the Copa - not enough time.

Knowing all of that, my expectations for Canada soccer in 2024 have drastically dropped. 

Edited by Shway

Does a new Genera Secretary necessarily have nay more experience and expertise to hire a new CMNT coach than anybody presently in place at the CSA? Or, is this a formal courtesy with the effect of wasting time? I would assume that the CSA braintrust already has a short list of candidates. Is there an actual practical reason for a delay?

Alfaro, Gareca and Gallardo interviewed.  Pochettino was in shortlist but he got a job in May.  It was discussed on the radio La Red 24 HS of football.  The journalists were saying that Canada as a WC organizer wants a southamerican coach argentina or Uruguay for experience.  They said Mauricio was on shortlist before,  also Alfaro, Gareca, Gallardo and Almeyda was discarded since he is at AEK.  Also it was named the last Uruguay coach in a lesser extent.  It appears Canada wants s Spanish native speaker football coach 

15 hours ago, toontownman said:

It's absolutley the logical thing to do, frustrating timeline wise but they are doing things in the right order. 

Agree, this the right approach.

Hopefully it will see the Board play a tangential/supervisory role in the selection of a new manager (i.e. observing proper governance principles and removing the temptation for non-experts to appoint themselves as experts - which, I can only assume, is one of the diseases that has infected the CSA Board over many years).

It will undoubtably slow the process, but I think we're probably due for a reset in that regard.

40 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Alfaro, Gareca and Gallardo interviewed.  Pochettino was in shortlist but he got a job in May.  It was discussed on the radio La Red 24 HS of football.  The journalists were saying that Canada as a WC organizer wants a southamerican coach argentina or Uruguay for experience.  They said Mauricio was on shortlist before,  also Alfaro, Gareca, Gallardo and Almeyda was discarded since he is at AEK.  Also it was named the last Uruguay coach in a lesser extent.  It appears Canada wants s Spanish native speaker football coach 

As someone who follows Canadian soccer and the CSA, wanting a Spnish native speaking coach to me seems incorrect. There is no reason to want a Spanish speaking coach. There is no advantage in having a Spanish coach versus an English coach. In the past we've had to qualify in Latin America. In that case I could understand why the CSA would want a Spanish coach. We don't have to qualify for the World Cup this time, so that removes the reason to want a Spanish coach. The only time we have to go to Latin America this cycle is Nations League. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

As someone who follows Canadian soccer and the CSA, wanting a Spnish native speaking coach to me seems incorrect. There is no reason to want a Spanish speaking coach. There is no advantage in having a Spanish coach versus an English coach. In the past we've had to qualify in Latin America. In that case I could understand why the CSA would want a Spanish coach. We don't have to qualify for the World Cup this time, so that removes the reason to want a Spanish coach. The only time we have to go to Latin America this cycle is Nations League. 

Oh, now you've done it... 

I would not mind a South American coach with pedigree. We have lots of technically gifted players that could play in a South American attack minded formation/style.

Also, I think it would be easier to convince someone from SA then Europe to come here.

Plus native English speakers don't do well at international tournaments. 😊.

Lets not turn this in to a language thing. I think if they want someone from SA its because of style not language.