Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

For reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavo_Alfaro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Gallardo

If you're Canada do you take the experienced manager that just came off a 3 year stint with Ecuador, but has never managed in an English environment?

Or do you take the younger, relatively inexperienced manager that's never managed an international side, but with a very impressive playing resume (including as an international) that includes a brief stint at DC United - an english environment? 

If the rumours are true I would go with Gallardo  he did have some success at River Plate  which is a pressure cooker even at the best of times he did have a somewhat successful International career as a player 

5 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Alfaro Gareca and Gallardo interviewed.  Pochettino was in shortlist but he got a job in May

Despite the CSA being the CSA, I can imagine it's someone's job to keep their ear on the ground, stay relevant and keep a running shortlist of potential managers in case a change was needed.

However if Pochettino was on said list, I can only imagine the list is 50-100 people long as there are probably at least that many just out of a job inbetween Poch and Gareca/Gallardo. 

Just for fun, on that line of out of work club coaches I will throw out the name of Andre Villas-Boas as a wildcard.

23 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Despite the CSA being the CSA, I can imagine it's someone's job to keep their ear on the ground, stay relevant and keep a running shortlist of potential managers in case a change was needed.

However if Pochettino was on said list, I can only imagine the list is 50-100 people long as there are probably at least that many just out of a job inbetween Poch and Gareca/Gallardo. 

Just for fun, on that line of out of work club coaches I will throw out the name of Andre Villas-Boas as a wildcard.

Pochettino could make more money not working, collecting his payoff from PSG, than coaching us. 

Why would a guy who could work for a few million a year, even in slow times, lock in for 500-750k for three years? And at his age?

A poster mentioned Hagi earlier. I don't know what sort of coach he'll be but he was one of my favourite players at the time he was active. Actually, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced he would bring a much-needed aspect of the game to the NT. He could teach our midfield how to dissect an opponent's defensive structure with magnificent, simple but effective passes.

14 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

A poster mentioned Hagi earlier. I don't know what sort of coach he'll be but he was one of my favourite players at the time he was active. Actually, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced he would bring a much-needed aspect of the game to the NT. He could teach our midfield how to dissect an opponent's defensive structure with magnificent, simple but effective passes.

He owns and manages a club in his hometown in Romania so doubt he would be available:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCV_Farul_Constanța

Did I Miss Anything?

Nothing. When we realized you weren't here
we sat with our hands folded on our laptops
in silence, for the full two hours

Everything. I posted an opinion worth
40 likes, 13 thanks and 2 laughs
and attached a link with some reading
on which UT and others are about to hand out a further opinion
or a gif of Samuel L Jackson

Nothing. None of the content of this forum
has value or meaning
Take as many days off as you like:
any activities we undertake as a group of supporters
I assure you will not matter either to you or me
and are without purpose

Everything. A few minutes after we began last time
a shaft of light suddenly descended and an angel
or other heavenly being appeared
and revealed to us what each player or fan must do
to attain divine wisdom in this life and
the hereafter
This is the last time the forum will meet
before we disperse to bring the good news to all people on earth.

Nothing. When you are not present
how could something significant occur?

Everything. Contained in this forum
is a microcosm of human experience
assembled for you to query and examine and ponder
This is not the only place such an opportunity has been gathered

but it was one place

And you weren't here

from Tom Wayman

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Having watched him in my day, at Barça (one of the greatest goals ever scored has been lost because of dense fog and a confused cameraman, away to Celta) I thought he was a great player, though a bit anarchic, and am not sure he is a good manager. Just saying this on the basis of context, as he rarely seems to appear in debates in Spain about football. He had the reputation to coach and did not seem to even try.

As if he weren't interested. I think he took a while after retiring to sort things out so maybe his new relationship at Constanta is changing that, but he was rather lost for a decade. Or so it seemed.

Some great players don't pan out as managers, or even are failures at it. Not saying it is his case, he's not as much of a nut as Stoichkov for example, but I feel he hasn't any legacy established.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

CSA confirmed today that Biello will still be the interim manager for the November Copa America qualifier

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if that means they haven't decided yet on a candidate, or they know internally who they'll pick but feel it'll be better (for whatever reason) for the new hire to start after November. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if that means they haven't decided yet on a candidate, or they know internally who they'll pick but feel it'll be better (for whatever reason) for the new hire to start after November. 

Did some digging and found an answer - we must wait until 2024 until the new hire...

I think there's a real possibility we head into the March window with Biello still in charge. 

After an extensive request for proposal (RFP) process, Canada Soccer’s Board of Directors have selected the global organizational consulting firm, Korn Ferry, to head up the search for Canada Soccer’s new General Secretary. The search for the federation’s top operational leader is currently underway, expected to be named by the end of this year.

“Given Korn Ferry’s impressive global footprint and recent high profile placements within sport in Canada, we are pleased to be working with Korn Ferry and have full confidence in their capacity to immediately begin work required to fill such a critical role in our organization.” — Charmaine Crooks, President, Canada Soccer.

The Board of Directors have also made the decision that the Men’s National Team Head Coach position will be filled after the appointment of a new General Secretary.

Per the article, I assume the earliest our new coach will take the helm will be for Copa America next summer. If the General Secretary is hired before EOY, we're realistically looking at a ~December hiring. It's going to take a few months to scout, identify, and move through the rounds of interviews before finding the right pick and agreeing on terms. Based on the US not switching coaches during Nations League, I think if Biello takes us to the finals again, they're going to let him play out the tournament and have that be his send off.

4 minutes ago, canadave said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mauro-biello-confirmed-interim-coach-sept20-1.6972937

Bunch of quotes from Biello in here about wanting to be the permanent coach. 

No thanks. 

I guess he won’t go back to being Canada’s assistant.  You don’t say this publicly then go back to being an assistant when you don’t get it.  Have you ever actually seen an interim manager say something like this to the media?  Seems weird.

4 minutes ago, canadave said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mauro-biello-confirmed-interim-coach-sept20-1.6972937

Bunch of quotes from Biello in here about wanting to be the permanent coach. 

No thanks. 

Agreed but at least it could be good having a very motivated Biello. Not saying he wasn't motivated before, but if he's under the impression that getting results could have such a reward attached, we'll probably see winning prioritized over all else, including deepening the pool. That could be reflected in the squad selections and starting line ups and after what we saw at Gold Cup I welcome that wholeheartedly. We need to play our best and advance to the NL final round again - and with that we'll get our Copa America participation. 

I like what I am reading in those quotes. He's saying here that he's worked his whole life for this chance and he intends to make it permanent. Very motivated and that's very good news for us whether or not he ends up actually being the permanent manager. Better than an interim who is literally just a placeholder and viewing the job as such. 

I am not sure that i care for a motivated Biello. Wish him the best but this should not be the choice going into huge games in November.

This just strikes me as more CSA moving the goal post. A little Lucy and Charlie Brown action.

1st step - random posts about how money very likely will not be concern when hiring the next coach. Could be a decent size name with at least CONCACAF experience

2nd step - float ideas of interviewing lower paid head coaches like Bobby (i cant spell his last name, even though I am Greek)

3rd step - announce the temporary hire of Biello to guide them through hugely important November game

4th Step - PRAY PRAY PRAY, that they get past an inferior team to make it to Copa

5th Step - Announce that they have been impressed with Biello's guidance through these tough games and announce him the new head coach

6th - pay him 5% higher than his assistant coach job

Here we go again boys

Edited by blueseeka