Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Surprised I haven't seen that name tossed around more.

On paper it would be a very solid choice. Has worked in an English environment (NYRB & Fire), though I am not sure how proficient he is in English. Biggest club he's managed is arguably Sao Paulo, which is no small club. Biggest national team job was obviously Mexico (took them to round of 16 and beat Germany), but also coached in the Centennario (that went less well).

Currently at Zamalek in Egypt though, plus he joined in April of this year. I don't know if we'd offer him the money to just up and leave. 

I could be wrong, but I think he's spent much of his life in the US. I assume his English is fine.

Here's my take, not advocating him but a general idea: I'm not worried about embarrassing ourselves at World Cup. We've already qualified. It would make a ton of sense to me to pull a Sweden and pluck someone out of our domestic league (Bobby, Tommy, whoever) and spend the savings on preparation. What I'm worried about is either not qualifying for Copa or embarrassing ourselves there. A Spanish speaking manager who understands that environment (albeit in the US) would make sense for that phase. Just a short-term appointment. If it works out, great. If not, back to Bommy.

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I could be wrong, but I think he's spent much of his life in the US. I assume his English is fine.

Here's my take, not advocating him but a general idea: I'm not worried about embarrassing ourselves at World Cup. We've already qualified. It would make a ton of sense to me to pull a Sweden and pluck someone out of our domestic league (Bobby, Tommy, whoever) and spend the savings on preparation. What I'm worried about is either not qualifying for Copa or embarrassing ourselves there. A Spanish speaking manager who understands that environment (albeit in the US) would make sense for that phase. Just a short-term appointment. If it works out, great. If not, back to Bommy.

Very interesting take.

It does make a lot of sense given where we are financially, and if we are going to promote Canadian coaches what better time to do that? Plus, scooping up a coach from the CPL leaves a vaccum which another aspiring coach (likely Canadian) will fill. The most important though however is that we save and put that money to use elsewhere. Some would argue coaching is overrated anyways, especially in international soccer.

How much bang for your buck does a coach get you anyways if you're a team like Canada? Our ceiling is likely round of 32 - maybe round of 16 if we really use our imaginations. Maybe it really is better that money go to actually prep than a big name?

And as far as embarassing ourselves, that's ultimately down to the players. Hold true for the WC and Copa America. I'd like to think we don't embaress ourselves at either. We have a good squad that's entering it's prime. I am looking for us to get out of our group in both tournaments. That may actually be harder at the Copa America than the World Cup, but we'll see. We have to get there first, of course. 

16 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Im not sure we'll get much better prep. The savings would likely be in the 200k range which doesnt go very far. Personally I think that hypothetically spending an extra 200k on a better coach provides more value vs 200k that will allow us to extend a training camp by 3 days (or whatever value 200k provides).

54 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Im not sure we'll get much better prep. The savings would likely be in the 200k range which doesnt go very far. Personally I think that hypothetically spending an extra 200k on a better coach provides more value vs 200k that will allow us to extend a training camp by 3 days (or whatever value 200k provides).

Fair. I retract that comment. My thought is just spend on getting to Copa. Spend now. Don't worry about if you have the perfect fit for 2026. This would actually lead me to Christansen ahead of Osorio, but TC already has a good shot at Copa so might not care to shake things up.

JDV was quoted as saying that a camp costs + $700K. We're not going to get more camps even with Biello as Head coach, even if he gets a small  bump in salary. Now if we can get a team to pay us, that's a diff matter. There's 2 options when faced with financial issues: 1. Cut costs as in re-engineering, fixed or variable costs including admin; 2. Increase revenues. #1 is regressive but mitigates the bleed in the short term, while #2 is progressive and is long term. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

JDV was quoted as saying that a camp costs + $700K. We're not going to get more camps even with Biello as Head coach, even if he gets a small  bump in salary. Now if we can get a team to pay us, that's a diff matter. There's 2 options when faced with financial issues: 1. Cut costs as in re-engineering, fixed or variable costs including admin; 2. Increase revenues. #1 is regressive but mitigates the bleed in the short term, while #2 is progressive and is long term. 

Are CSA headquarters in some fancy real estate asset in Ottawa? I seem to recall that they made a splash a few years back by acquiring a mansion or the like as headquarters? Maybe I am wrong, but . . .

3 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Are CSA headquarters in some fancy real estate asset in Ottawa? I seem to recall that they made a splash a few years back by acquiring a mansion or the like as headquarters? Maybe I am wrong, but . . .

Article on their building purchase from 1996:

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canadian-soccer-purchases-new-ottawa-headquarters/

IMG_2338.thumb.png.9980f9778e1a0aa45063f3f793c9dee1.png

3 minutes ago, shorty said:

It’s an 11,000 sq ft heritage house in downtown Ottawa. A pretty penny I should think. But you need a house to match the dinner jackets, amirite?

Sell and downsize to a more modest office? Use some of the proceeds to fund some much needed camps to improve the chances of COPA participation and a chance at some prize money? Safely invest some to create income? What do you think?

7 hours ago, shorty said:

It’s an 11,000 sq ft heritage house in downtown Ottawa. A pretty penny I should think. But you need a house to match the dinner jackets, amirite?

The CSA should do what Canada Basketball did. Get an office in an industrial strip mall in Etobicoke. Spend the money on the sport. Plus that building must cost a fortune in upkeep. 

I may be in the minority here but any suggestion that this "mansion" was a bad purchase is sooooo wrong IMO. 

The House is worth 1.8million. CSA purchased it for 825k MINUS $260k from outside donations. 

If anyone thinks buying a 1.8 million dollar property for $565,000 is bad business, then I think we need to reevaluate what the standard for CSA is. CSA is not a real estate company but they made 1.3million by buying this building. 

Another office would likely cost around that 500k, except it would be harder to grow into a small office (which is our goal), and we would have a lower valued asset. 

Lets say they downsize and we get an extra 1million. We host one more camp, one time. Thats hardly a long term play, while holding assets and having the space to grow the association is a long term play. 

Besides, purchasing of this building didnt require the use of any cash reserves so its not like we bought this building instead of hosting a camp. 

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

If anyone thinks buying a 1.8 million dollar property for $565,000 is bad business, then I think we need to reevaluate what the standard for CSA is. CSA is not a real estate company but they made 1.3million by buying this building. 

I wonder if being asset rich and cash poor is a sustainable way to run a soccer association. And, you are right. The CSA is not a real estate company.

7 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I wonder if being asset rich and cash poor is a sustainable way to run a soccer association. And, you are right. The CSA is not a real estate company.

You didnt read the article or my post. 

The CSA didnt use any cash reserves on this deal. The 550k mortgage is likely paid off assuming it was a 25 year mortgage. 

You're trying to spin a false narrative. Of course being cash poor is a problem, but outright ownership of a 1.8million (its appreciated over 25 years so probably double that) property is not the reason the CSA are cash poor. 

There is literally nothing to suggest that owning this property has contributed to any lack of cash reserves so its strange that you are mad about the CSA essentially getting 1.3million donated to them in the form of a nice property.  Who gets pissed off that private investors donate 1.3 million? 

I'm fairly convinced if Biello is our coach when we try to qualify for Copa America we're going to get eliminated. He was so poor with our U23s and U20s. Like mind boggling poor.

I'll never forget when we played a 9 man formation in the Oly U23 qualifiers because he insisted on using Bassong as some sort of holding winger midfielder on the left? Even Bassong was wtf are my instructions?

Edited by VinceA

9 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Sell and downsize to a more modest office? Use some of the proceeds to fund some much needed camps to improve the chances of COPA participation and a chance at some prize money? Safely invest some to create income? What do you think?

Jokes about blazers aside, I'm with bigandy on this one.  Selling an asset like this to pay for consumables is poor management.  Grow the revenue instead -- it's a tough row to hoe at the moment, but that's the way forward, not selling the silverware.

5 minutes ago, shorty said:

Jokes about blazers aside, I'm with bigandy on this one.  Selling an asset like this to pay for consumables is poor management.  Grow the revenue instead -- it's a tough row to hoe at the moment, but that's the way forward, not selling the silverware.

OK, so rent out the office space for a monthly profit and WFH for a year.  How many days a year do you think they are actually there?  

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

OK, so rent out the office space for a monthly profit and WFH for a year.  How many days a year do you think they are actually there?  

Does that really make a significant impact on the financials? Lets say 30$ a sqft rent. Thats 330k a year, assuming no vacancies, and no property management fees. Thats not even going to get us one camp. 

On the flip side, now you have to buy laptops for everyone etc. 

I also would imagine theres plenty of staff that are employed full time. 

Sure renting out your home is a way to make a few extra bucks but it wont impact the organization meaningfully.  

18 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Does that really make a significant impact on the financials? Lets say 30$ a sqft rent. Thats 330k a year, assuming no vacancies, and no property management fees. Thats not even going to get us one camp. 

On the flip side, now you have to buy laptops for everyone etc. 

I also would imagine theres plenty of staff that are employed full time. 

Sure renting out your home is a way to make a few extra bucks but it wont impact the organization meaningfully.  

Glad you think CSA can scoff at $330k/year.  Many of us would like your world to be closer to reality.  

Please tell me you are joking about the laptops?  If not, It's honestly the last time i'll reply to your troll remarks.

56 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm fairly convinced if Biello is our coach when we try to qualify for Copa America we're going to get eliminated. He was so poor with our U23s and U20s. Like mind boggling poor.

I'll never forget when we played a 9 man formation in the Oly U23 qualifiers because he insisted on using Bassong as some sort of holding winger midfielder on the left? Even Bassong was wtf are my instructions?

I think you’re being a bit dramatic. It was a U23 tournament with basically no prep, not surprising our tactics were sloppy.

Biello was decent with the Impact and even if we think he’s a bad manager our talent on the field can more than make up for it. 

22 minutes ago, costarg said:

Glad you think CSA can scoff at $330k/year.  Many of us would like your world to be closer to reality.  

Please tell me you are joking about the laptops?  If not, It's honestly the last time i'll reply to your troll remarks.

What substantial difference will 330k a year make? But lets get closer to reality. 

How many firms would be willing to rent out a space for only one year at 330k a year rent. Thats astronomical rent for a 1 year contract. So if its only one year like you suggest theres likely a vacancy of at least a month to find a tenant $302,500 . 10% goes to the property manager $272,250. Costs to set up staff from work from home 1k per person for 20 people? $252,250. 15% tax over 302,500 = 45k. 207,250. This doesnt include any costs for moving the CSA out of the building or storing desks and chairs etc. 

The CSA would be renting out their space for at best, around 200k.  You are always quick to judge and point out why things wont work but for once, I would love to hear your opinion on how we should spend that extra 200k. Where specifically would you spend that 200k to make a difference for the CSA? 

EDIT: I realize that theres a flaw in my numbers. The 12 month term would still generate 12 months for of revenue even if theres a 13th month of vacancy. But the general idea is that 330,000 is not the actual income the CSA will have to spend on other areas of the program.

Edited by Bigandy

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

The House is worth 1.8million. CSA purchased it for 825k MINUS $260k from outside donations. 

You don't make anything until you sell. If anything, now is the time to realize that profit and downsize.