Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, red card said:

interesting, he was linked to the Polish NT and Brighton at one point.

https://www.si.com/soccer/sunderland/news/who-is-marek-papszun-profiling-the-serial-winner-linked-with-sunderland-job

"

He is known for using a 3-4-3 system which is incredibly solid defensively and has a very intense high press.

The Pole is not a fan of possession-based football, though. His philosophy is to encourage ruthlessness in attack rather than any real patience: in essence, press like nutters and go straight for the throat."

Edited by cornerkick

That would be quite the left field, maverick move.

I'd almost admire it.

If he was from the USA I'd obviously hate the hell out of it.

https://www.si.com/soccer/sunderland/news/who-is-marek-papszun-profiling-the-serial-winner-linked-with-sunderland-job

Serial winner but a huge gamble given he has zero experience in international football as a player or coach or outside of the polish league system. 

2 hours ago, cornerkick said:

"

He is known for using a 3-4-3 system which is incredibly solid defensively and has a very intense high press.

The Pole is not a fan of possession-based football, though. His philosophy is to encourage ruthlessness in attack rather than any real patience: in essence, press like nutters and go straight for the throat."

in essence, press like nutters and go straight for the throat."

probably not a bad philosophy for us although not sure he would have time to properly implement that for Copa

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

in essence, press like nutters and go straight for the throat."

probably not a bad philosophy for us although not sure he would have time to properly implement that for Copa

It would also be a way of addressing one of the issues we seem to experience regularly, which is slow starts and then trying to play catchup if we go down a goal while we are still "growing into the game".   If we train for a system that has us flying right out of gates, we may be able to eliminate one of our issues while increasing he chances that we catch teams napping a bit early on. 

15 hours ago, cornerkick said:

"

I like this

4 hours ago, gigi riva said:

In all honesty guys I just want someone hired , Getting a bit tired of all the name dropping  and speculation. even though at the same time it is kind of cool seeing foriegn publications talking about Canadian Soccer   

Me too. I want to hear the hiring committee say "after careful deliberation this is our guy, good luck, the roster for Rotterdam is out end of May."

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

For me it is now between him and Kuntz as far as who I want

Of the people mentioned in social media, I prefer only one. Bobby Smyrniotis. He's proven he is a high-caliber football person. He co-founded Sigma FC and has constantly won with Forge. Wherever he has been, he was a winner.

Edited by Sal333

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Of the people mentioned in social media, I prefer only one. Bobby Smyrniotis. He's proven he is a high-caliber football person. He co-founded Sigma FC and has constantly won with Forge. Wherever he has been, he was a winner.

This has me thinking of an alternative point of view. Bobby Smyrniotis has only been at Forge and Sigma FC, two teams which have dominated their respective levels of play. We can say that makes him 2 for 2...but it's still 2. And further to that, we know the Canadian National team is not going to dominate their level of play from here until 2026, so how does Bobby Smyrniotis respond to that? He doesn't seem to have THAT sort of experience on his resume, as he's also managed winners. The same applies to Tommy Wheeldon Jr. and while I like both men, I question how they handle the team if and when things aren't smooth sailing. 

I like both, just wanted to toss that perspective out there to see what you guys think. Cheers!

Seeing as we are in a holding pattern and I love this banal pointless speculation and chatter.

My preference of those linked:

1. Kuntz

2. Paspzun

3. Clement

4. Marsch

5. Solskjaer

6. Smyrniotis

7. Karanka

Still hoping for another name or two in the would of Kuntz's experience. Paspzun would be an almighty gamble but I'd respect the vision behind it!

Posted (edited)

Random ass names, with random ass experiences. I couldn't respect this decision because it goes right back to my point about "opportunities are given, rather than earned"... so why give this precious opportunity to Ratko from Croatia. 

A guy whose only experience is coaching in Poland is somehow an ideal candidate? And some of you are okay with this? Give me a break.

As egregious as this will sound, I would rather see Jason Bent.

Edited by Shway

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Seeing as we are in a holding pattern and I love this banal pointless speculation and chatter.

1. Kuntz

2. Paspzun

3. Clement

4. Marsch

5. Solskjaer

6. Smyrniotis

7. Karanka

Still hoping for another name or two in the would of Kuntz's experience. Paspzun would be an almighty gamble but I'd respect the vision behind it!

You have him so high up, and Smirniotis so low but they literally have like for like profiles, one has a history with developing/working with Canadians - doesn't that count for something?

It's just crazy how we are so quick to overlook our own for someone inferior. 

At this point, I'll take a name brand coach with shit results (like Henry)...at least they can inspire our players. 

Just now, Shway said:

You have him so high up, and Smirniotis so low but they literally have like for like profiles, one has a history with developing/working with Canadians - doesn't that count for something?

It's just crazy how we are so quick to overlook our own for someone inferior. 

At this point, I'll take a name brand coach with shit results (like Henry)...at least they can inspire our players. 

Yep. I want Bobby as assistant that gets experience to take over further down the line. I think there is too much pressure on him as a Canadian and skepticism with CPL being his top level, to come in as the top guy right away. I would like him protected and there needs to be people experienced in the canadian game on the coaching team. Kuntz is far above the rest of the field given his international background though.

The levels between the Polish league and CPL aren't the same, neither are the situations of the clubs both managers have walked into and achievements. However, its true it's easy to get blinded by the press hype of a manager being linked with the premier league and other big jobs. It would still be a huge a gamble as mentioned. The Same as hiring Bobby. Bobby needs to step up another level though and get one of the multiple MLS jobs he has been in the running for but never picked.

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

history with developing/working with Canadians - doesn't that count for something?

Does this matter in any context? Are Canadian soccer players different to manage than other nationalities?

Just to stir the pot, let me flip this around...

The Polish national hockey team is looking to hire a new head coach.

Doesn't is make sense that they look at Swedish and Canadian coaches over "the top Polish league hockey coach"?

Oh my, the Canadian coach doesn't have a history of coaching or developing Polish hockey players!

Does it count for something? Maybe... but it's well down my list of criteria/qualities "This coach helped develop Jason Bent" is not a selling feature for me.

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This has me thinking of an alternative point of view. Bobby Smyrniotis has only been at Forge and Sigma FC, two teams which have dominated their respective levels of play. We can say that makes him 2 for 2...but it's still 2. And further to that, we know the Canadian National team is not going to dominate their level of play from here until 2026, so how does Bobby Smyrniotis respond to that? He doesn't seem to have THAT sort of experience on his resume, as he's also managed winners. The same applies to Tommy Wheeldon Jr. and while I like both men, I question how they handle the team if and when things aren't smooth sailing. 

I like both, just wanted to toss that perspective out there to see what you guys think. Cheers!

To go Canadian and try to build for years is a second (although somewhat disappointing and much lower) option for me.

There are certainly some unique benefits to it.

However, it does not fulfill the biggest needs we have right now, which, to me, are:

1) having a real tactical identity 

2) a coach with enough respect, presence, and/or experience to command an adherence to a tactical gameplan - from our increasingly international-based top players.

I would add, all these coaches have been "winners" at some level and the best coaches in the world have not won everything, every time.  Pretty naive to pick someone just because they have won at every level they have been at, if those levels are below top CONCACAF and beyond.

25 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Does this matter in any context? Are Canadian soccer players different to manage than other nationalities?

Just to stir the pot, let me flip this around...

The Polish national hockey team is looking to hire a new head coach.

Doesn't is make sense that they look at Swedish and Canadian coaches over "the top Polish league hockey coach"?

Horrible analogy as Poland isn't top tier for football, whereas Canada and Sweden are for hockey. 

If we are talking about hiring an Argentinian, or a Spaniard than I'm okay with using your analogy ...as they have a history of exporting coaches and doing well everywhere!

So no, a polish domestic great who has 0 experience outside of his country, 0 experience in the international game...isn't a good hire for our national team. Full stop.

His profile is good for the Poland national team. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Random ass names, with random ass experiences. I couldn't respect this decision because it goes right back to my point about "opportunities are given, rather than earned"... so why give this precious opportunity to Ratko from Croatia. 

A guy whose only experience is coaching in Poland is somehow an ideal candidate? And some of you are okay with this? Give me a break.

As egregious as this will sound, I would rather see Jason Bent.

Smyrniotis's only claim is that he's Canadian.  Nothing else about his resume says he should be a national team manager.  He hasn't earned the opportunity. I'm not saying it should be Paspzun either (I think he's probably being a bit overhyped), but your arguments aren't in favour of Smyrniotis either.

I think Kuntz is far and away the best candidate right now, if he's interested.

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Horrible analogy as Poland isn't top tier for football, whereas Canada and Sweden are for hockey. 

If we are talking about hiring an Argentinian, or a Spaniard than I'm okay with using your analogy ...as they have a history of exporting coaches and doing well everywhere!

So no, a polish domestic great who has 0 experience outside of his country, 0 experience in the international game...isn't a good hire for our national team. Full stop.

His profile is good for the Poland national team. 

So an Argentinean with the same profile and no international experience would be better? Paspzun brought Rakow from the third tier to Ekstralasa champions. It's an impressive profile and pretty objectively more impressive than anything Bobby's done. 

We'll throw around this word 'development,' like a guy might meaningfully improve in the handful of weeks he spends with the national team each year. It just isn't the case. The goal is to get the best out of what you have with the time you have. It's making the best of unfamiliarity. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

1. Kuntz

2. Paspzun

3. Clement

4. Marsch

5. Solskjaer

6. Smyrniotis

7. Karanka

Like your list but Smyrniotis should be #3