Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

22 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They (Bayern) must have some wicked stipulations or restrictions that they are placing on their coach.  The list of people taking other jobs or straight up rejecting them grows pretty much every day. 

It could be managers talking to each other or just seeing everything play out in the media. Nagelsmann was a very good manager, gets fired while the team is in first. They bring Tuchel in, fire him before the season is over, they then lost the league, lost the cup, but have a genuine chance at winning champions league and yet their manager will still be out of a job. If you’re an A list name, you figure what’s the point, they’ll fire me for something out of my control anyways, if you’re below that tier, maybe you’re afraid that your reputation gets tarnished once they fire you for something you wouldn’t have gotten fired for elsewhere. 

They’re also competing against some big opportunities too. Liverpool job is open, until recently Barcelona’s too, West Ham as well- if you’re a sought after manager, you have plenty of opportunities out there. 

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It could be managers talking to each other or just seeing everything play out in the media. Nagelsmann was a very good manager, gets fired while the team is in first. They bring Tuchel in, fire him before the season is over, they then lost the league, lost the cup, but have a genuine chance at winning champions league and yet their manager will still be out of a job. If you’re an A list name, you figure what’s the point, they’ll fire me for something out of my control anyways, if you’re below that tier, maybe you’re afraid that your reputation gets tarnished once they fire you for something you wouldn’t have gotten fired for elsewhere. 

They’re also competing against some big opportunities too. Liverpool job is open, until recently Barcelona’s too, West Ham as well- if you’re a sought after manager, you have plenty of opportunities out there. 

Isn't there talk about rehiring Nagelsmann? Would be great for Phonzie if he ends up staying there.

14 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Isn't there talk about rehiring Nagelsmann? Would be great for Phonzie if he ends up staying there.

Turned them down to stay with Germany, just like Ragnick turned them down for Austria.

Apparently Ten Hag has been contacted by Bayern and Ajax. If he ends up at Ajax after this- insane.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Stefan Kuntz wasnt he a member of the German 1996 Euro squad as striker ?

His goal meant extra time and penalties and ultimately (after Southgate missed) them winning, knocking the hosts out. 

"Best" thing to come out of that tournament was the album.  It did have "Three Lions" but also if you want to hear Madchester icons, Joe Strummer and Lily Allen's dad contribute to one of the worst raps you are likely to hear, check out "England's Irie."

Sorry apparently sent me on a nostaglia trip.  Almost 30...30! years ago

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

His goal meant extra time and penalties and ultimately (after Southgate missed) them winning, knocking the hosts out. 

"Best" thing to come out of that tournament was the album.  It did have "Three Lions" but also if you want to hear Madchester icons, Joe Strummer and Lily Allen's dad contribute to one of the worst raps you are likely to hear, check out "England's Irie."

Sorry apparently sent me on a nostaglia trip.  Almost 30...30! years ago

Didnt the two Bands  Ocean Colour Scene and Supergrass collabrate on a song for that toujrnament also ?

2 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Didnt the two Bands  Ocean Colour Scene and Supergrass collabrate on a song for that toujrnament also ?

Not sure.

"Alright" is on the album but it wasn't done for the tournament, was released the year (maybe) before. 

That and "World in Motion"  from the 1990 World Cup ( and a bunch of others).

Seeing the videos makes you realise you could be a huge nerd and still be a pop star in 90's England.   

I haven't been following this as closely as some, but is it basically a foregone conclusion that we're going into Copa with Biello? Tournament is six weeks away and still crickets coming out of Canada Soccer re: a new manager.

15 minutes ago, frmr said:

I haven't been following this as closely as some, but is it basically a foregone conclusion that we're going into Copa with Biello? Tournament is six weeks away and still crickets coming out of Canada Soccer re: a new manager.

KJ said somewhat recently that it's not necessarily too late, but with each passing day this becomes more and more likely.

28 minutes ago, El Diego said:

KJ said somewhat recently that it's not necessarily too late, but with each passing day this becomes more and more likely.

To me it sounded like a never-say-never type of statement from him. I don't expect a new coach if they aren't hired by the end of this week, maybe next week tops. 

10 hours ago, frmr said:

Okay but let's say Biello is with our squad for Copa America, then if we do end up with a new manager it will probably be after Copa America now in all likelihood 

24 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Okay but let's say Biello is with our squad for Copa America, then if we do end up with a new manager it will probably be after Copa America now in all likelihood 

I expect there'll be a new coach for Copa. Its kinda too rude to Biello-who's applied for the job- to say to him: do this interim thing again and then we'll replace you. 

1 minute ago, Cadeau said:

I expect there'll be a new coach for Copa. Its kinda too rude to Biello-who's applied for the job- to say to him: do this interim thing again and then we'll replace you. 

Yeah that's true but Biello has been with us for quite some time now and like someone said earlier Copa is in 6 weeks and if we were to hire a new manager, then why hasn't it happened by now you know what I mean? Plus our new coach he would only have a short amount of time with our guys and then trying to implement his system...I'm just saying doing that on such short notice could backfire.

Jesse Marsch is another coach who I actually like well for Canada to be the next permanent manager but apparently we also contacted Ole Gunnar Solksjaer and considering what Ole did at Manchester United when he was manager over there, would he make a great manager for our national team? He would probably be our biggest name to date

Regarding timing: I am in favour of hiring now, not later. Any candidate who is talking to our hiring committee has been studying up on the team, our player pool, watching games, they will all have ideas and if they are hired two weeks before the friendlies, will have some idea of what they want to do. 

I don't expect the new CSA president to have any urgency in this regard though. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

....I don't expect the new CSA president to have any urgency in this regard though. 

Why? Like you stated re the potential mgr, I'm sure the new Pres was given an opportunity to review CSA financials etc and has been keeping up to date re developments on the coaching hire. It's a critical period for the program and he must know that.

Edited by Kadenge

3 hours ago, Cadeau said:

I agree, but if Canada gets out the group and he's in charge... it could highly be likely that his interim tag could be lifted. 

If I'm him, I'm asking for the decision to be made after the tournament, and would take any decision as being given a fair opportunity to impress. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Regarding timing: I am in favour of hiring now, not later. Any candidate who is talking to our hiring committee has been studying up on the team, our player pool, watching games, they will all have ideas and if they are hired two weeks before the friendlies, will have some idea of what they want to do.

Totally agree.

Some may disagree but I also think we should take a Gold Cup or some other tournament that comes along or early Nations League game and turn it over to the Bairs, Tanis and Sirois and not invite any NT starters.  We have to get that level of guys playing meaningful games to have them ready and be able to push starters.

Aside from beating the US, our real run started when we took Mexico to added time in the Gold Cup missing many of the stars and starters.  When that next level of guys realized they could be competitive without the stars was really when we started ascending.  I think every second Gold Cup should be to cap and play newcomers and non starters.

That also gives the stars a break from crossing the pond and hopefully a greater appreciation of their position and helps them to look forward to when they can play with the NT again and make it seem less obligatory.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Totally agree.

Some may disagree but I also think we should take a Gold Cup or some other tournament that comes along or early Nations League game and turn it over to the Bairs, Tanis and Sirois and not invite any NT starters.  We have to get that level of guys playing meaningful games to have them ready and be able to push starters.

Aside from beating the US, our real run started when we took Mexico to added time in the Gold Cup missing many of the stars and starters.  When that next level of guys realized they could be competitive without the stars was really when we started ascending.  I think every second Gold Cup should be to cap and play newcomers and non starters.

That also gives the stars a break from crossing the pond and hopefully a greater appreciation of their position and helps them to look forward to when they can play with the NT again and make it seem less obligatory.

You bring up a lot of good points that I can agree with however where I will push back on is the fact that if we add those newer, younger players into our set up, we will then have that perfect blend of youth and experience needed to compete in bigger tournaments