Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

Posted (edited)

I don't know much about him - though do remember him from old fantasy programs I played back when I had time. Arminia i think?

Not terrible on the face of it.

I bet Azerbaijan can offer him more money and Euro profile.

Edited by The Real Marc

I know nothing about this guy, but he was very successful as Germany u21 manager and is apparently very highly regarded by the German FA. At Turkey he had them 2nd in qualifying, but it seems like he wasn't very popular with players/fans so after a couple of bad results he got canned. Interesting name.

He seems like a good candidate. Did a great job with the German youth teams and is still well regarded by the German program. He was relatively good with Turkey just not meeting their very high expectations. I'd honestly be happy with him seems like he'd be a decent choice. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, El Diego said:

At Turkey he had them 2nd in qualifying, but it seems like he wasn't very popular with players/fans so after a couple of bad results he got canned. Interesting name.

Ahh, missed first by a Kuntz' hair then.

Edited by chalms04

4 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

He seems like a good candidate. Did a great job with the German youth teams and is still well regarded by the German program. He was relatively good with Turkey just not meeting their very high expectations. I'd honestly be happy with him seems like he'd be a decent choice. 

The good:

- international experience

- two u21  Euro wins with Germany,

- lost to Portugal in World Cup qualification playoff with Turkey  then got Turkey to the Euros

- worked with some big players - partially with the German u21s but also with Turkey

- has a lot of backroom experience, which we could also use

- great connections

- played in huge games

Maybe possible warning flags

- said the players needed to work harder after Turkey's Japanese loss and he "should not take all the blame".  Might be true but probably not something you say.  Especially if getting the best out of our best and getting them to play a system is one of our worries. 

- nothing inventive tactics-wise and has had some really good players to get the results he has.

- safe?

If we want the defintion of safe hands, David Moyes is recently and officially available.😉

29 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Bayern has lost a candidate to west ham, but I think if they lose a candidate to Canada, as they’re apparently also interested, I think it’s time for the club to fold. They’ve had a good run. 

They (Bayern) must have some wicked stipulations or restrictions that they are placing on their coach.  The list of people taking other jobs or straight up rejecting them grows pretty much every day. 

Stefan Kuntz (born October 30, 1962) is a German professional football manager and former player who played as a striker. He was most recently the head coach of the Turkish national team.

Kuntz represented the Germany national team between 1993 and 1997, reaching the 1994 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals and winning UEFA Euro 1996. He scored six goals from 25 full caps, including in the Euro 1996 semi-final elimination of England.

Kuntz's playing career lasted from 1983 until 1999. He made 449 appearances and scored 179 goals in the Bundesliga. Kuntz played for VfL Bochum, Bayer 05 Uerdingen, 1. FC Kaiserslautern and Arminia Bielefeld and also played in Turkey for Beşiktaş J.K. In 1986 and 1994, Kuntz was the top scorer in the Bundesliga.

From 2006 to 2008, Kuntz was the athletic director of VfL Bochum. Between 2008 and 2016, he was the board chairman of 1. FC Kaiserslautern.

As coach of Germany U21 he gained an impressive record by reaching the UEFA European Under-21 Championship final thrice: in 2017, 2019 and 2021; his side won two out of three finals, first beat Spain 1–0 in the final, and in 2021, Germany defeated Portugal by the same scoreline.

On September 19, 2021, he was appointed the new head coach of the Turkey national team. He was then fired from the position on September 20, 2023, after two poor games against Armenia and Japan and a rather underwhelming performance at the UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying, despite at the time, Turkey were in second place with three wins, one draw and one loss; it was largely believed due to Kuntz's increasing unpopularity for many Turkish football fans that led to his dismissal.

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Stefan Kuntz (born October 30, 1962) is a German professional football manager and former player who played as a striker. He was most recently the head coach of the Turkish national team.

Kuntz represented the Germany national team between 1993 and 1997, reaching the 1994 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals and winning UEFA Euro 1996. He scored six goals from 25 full caps, including in the Euro 1996 semi-final elimination of England.

Kuntz's playing career lasted from 1983 until 1999. He made 449 appearances and scored 179 goals in the Bundesliga. Kuntz played for VfL Bochum, Bayer 05 Uerdingen, 1. FC Kaiserslautern and Arminia Bielefeld and also played in Turkey for Beşiktaş J.K. In 1986 and 1994, Kuntz was the top scorer in the Bundesliga.

From 2006 to 2008, Kuntz was the athletic director of VfL Bochum. Between 2008 and 2016, he was the board chairman of 1. FC Kaiserslautern.

As coach of Germany U21 he gained an impressive record by reaching the UEFA European Under-21 Championship final thrice: in 2017, 2019 and 2021; his side won two out of three finals, first beat Spain 1–0 in the final, and in 2021, Germany defeated Portugal by the same scoreline.

On September 19, 2021, he was appointed the new head coach of the Turkey national team. He was then fired from the position on September 20, 2023, after two poor games against Armenia and Japan and a rather underwhelming performance at the UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying, despite at the time, Turkey were in second place with three wins, one draw and one loss; it was largely believed due to Kuntz's increasing unpopularity for many Turkish football fans that led to his dismissal.

Getting a German to coach us I actually am intrigued by it