Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't think he measures up to Mauro Biello in experience terms

Didn't Smyrniotis start his coaching career at Olympiakos in like 2002? Biello started as an assistant coach 10 years later. Smyrniotis started Sigma in 2005 and he's helped develop quite a few of the top players Canada has produced. I know you hate CPL, but Bobby was contributing to Canadian soccer long before it started. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Didn't Smyrniotis start his coaching career at Olympiakos in like 2002? Biello started as an assistant coach 10 years later. Smyrniotis started Sigma in 2005 and he's helped develop quite a few of the top players Canada has produced. I know you hate CPL, but Bobby was contributing to Canadian soccer long before it started. 

Qualifying Forge for CCL via Concacaf League is way more impressive than anything Biello has accomplished as a manager 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Qualifying Forge for CCL via Concacaf League is way more impressive than anything Biello has accomplished as a manager 

I'm not even attempting to compare them, but suggesting Smyrniotos lacks experience seems disingenuous. He's been in this game for quite a while

Edited by Aird25

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

The guy that fucked Laryea over?

That might be a deal breaker.

But to be devil's advocate,  he had something that was working and he got a team promoted that had no business being so. 

And then they bought half the mid-priced football players on the planet.  

I really like what I have read about how he handled young stars like Foden and Hudson-Odoi, with whom I think he won the u17 World Cup. Off the pitch stuff seems very modern and positive. 

At least he wouldn't be involved in any transfers. 

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

Would Steve Cooper be too ambitious of a hire? He was pretty well-liked by the English FA before he left for Swansea 

At this point it just seems like guys are just throwing names out there based on availability.

So how about Scolari, Conte, Zidane...or Neil Warnorck?

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

At this point it just seems like guys are just throwing names out there based on availability.

So how about Scolari, Conte, Zidane...or Neil Warnorck?

I have been a big fan of Colin since he brought QPR from near relegation to Champions and promotion to the EPL the next season, he also saved some lost causes in The Championship from relegation! However I think NW is getting near the end of his career and his recent short stint at Aberdeen just confirms that, I know you just threw that name out there but 10 years ago I would have liked to see him take the reins!

If not Steve Cooper, what about Vincent Kompany? He got Burnley promoted, he was a great player who played recent enough that our roster would be familiar with him, he speaks french and english too, plus he has experience we can benefit from, but not so much experience that top teams will come calling for him once he's done at Burnley. He ticks off a lot of boxes for us, plus I think he's within the realm of realistic choices. Would obviously have to get let go from Burnley first, but I think the writing is already on the wall for him not to return next year. Probably wouldn't be able to get onboarded in time for Copa though.

18 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Would Steve Cooper be too ambitious of a hire? He was pretty well-liked by the English FA before he left for Swansea 

He is a donkey.  For that Martin O Neill 

On 3/27/2024 at 1:41 AM, gigi riva said:

My man crush  Herve Renard I understand has left the French Womens Team . Maybe we should try one more time 

Your nickname is Gigi and you have a man crush?  That's strange , not that there's anything  wrong with that.  ,  George Costanza ( NOT AT ALL)

On 3/27/2024 at 4:17 PM, Atlantic said:

Very forward thinking, progressive coach. Well liked by players, managers and fans. Has worked with top players and young talent. 

No idea if he would entertain it. You rarely see those type of left field hires with no international experience and no connection to the country like a cooper to canada hire would be.

I don't really see him as an international coach but he definitely has lots of upside. I expect he will find a job in the championship or even premiership for far more money than we would pay him. 

On 3/27/2024 at 3:37 PM, Bigandy said:

Stop commenting on my posts. No one respects you here. 

^^^will continue to comment on whichever posts I choose to. Posters don't get to dictate who can respond to their posts on a messageboard and that means having to deal with viewpoints that are more representative of the mainstream soccer community in Canada that historically has not been hugely enthused about CSA levies on their registation fees.

On 3/27/2024 at 6:28 PM, reggietfc said:

the csa will drag this along until they say.we jus dont enough time to get another guy in we are not a serious soccer nation.they should of moved on from him after the 2nd Jam game. lets go get your act together

Pretty much sums it up but something something Steve Cooper something something Carlo Ancelotti because that's what we want to happen and would rather daydream about like a ten year old kid rather than deal with the way things actually are. If they could headhunt a CEO in the shape of Alyson Walker by January why could they not have done that with the CMNT coach position with the coaching hire taking priority in terms of who needs to be able to work with who? Kidding on the CEO is calling the shots on this is a useful way to deflect blame later.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 3/29/2024 at 5:10 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^will continue to comment on whichever posts I choose to. Posters don't get to dictate who can respond to their posts on a messageboard and that means having to deal with viewpoints that are more representative of the mainstream soccer community in Canada that historically has not been hugely enthused about CSA levies on their registation fees.

Pretty much sums it up but something something Steve Cooper something something Carlo Ancelotti because that's what we want to happen and would rather daydream about like a ten year old kid rather than deal with the way things actually are. If they could headhunt a CEO in the shape of Alyson Walker by January why could they not have done that with the CMNT coach position with the coaching hire taking priority in terms of who needs to be able to work with who? Kidding on the CEO is calling the shots on this is a useful way to deflect blame later.

Well a virtual brawl is entitled now,  let's go with virtual fists.  Joke aside, Canada needs someone who could not only command the men team but someone who would put the suits at bay from your football association and the son of Pierre as well who he likes as many presidents and prime ministers to intervene in the beautiful game to express how much the love this gane 

It has to be a southAmerican only for those reasons ,  language isnt a barrier ,  forget about Gareca and Bereton 

8 of the 16 teams of Copa America are managed by a rioplatense. 

Perú Chile Argentina Costa Rica Jamaica Venezuela Uruguay Colombia Paraguay

It apoears in Dublin The Republic is going southAmerican as well with Gus Poyet and Juan A Pizzi,  Hervé Renard and a former Swedish manager are well behind 

On 3/29/2024 at 2:10 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't do that.... 

Don't act like I have any issues with you having a different opinion than me. I welcome different ideas to my own and love to discuss them....sometimes too in depth. Don't victimize yourself. Don't act like you're the voice of mainstream canadians. 

The issue I have is that you start calling people "double digit IQ's" whenever they have a different viewpoint. Or you say "its obvious you have no experience or knowledge if you disagree with me". Or you stop directly responding to the original post and look to other posters to back up your insults. 

The reason the board has lost respect for you is NOT because you have a different opinion. Its because of your wildly insulting comments on people who differ to your opinion. 

Edited by Bigandy

Who the hell do you think you are taking it upon yourself to speak on behalf of an entire messageboard like this? As stated I will continue to respond to whichever posts I choose to respond to and will not be losing any sleep over the fact that some people on here don't like what I have to say. If you and others are going to dish out personal comments rather than sticking to discussing ideas and issues don't start crying if every so often you receive a taste of your own medicine.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Who the hell do you think you are taking it upon yourself to speak on behalf of an entire messageboard like this? As stated I will continue to respond to whichever posts I choose to respond to and will not be losing any sleep over the fact that some people on here don't like what I have to say. If you and others are going to dish out personal comments rather than sticking to discussing ideas and issues don't start crying if every so often you receive a taste of your own medicine.

Comedy gold right there. 

55 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire messageboard. I'm saying the board has lost respect for you. If you dont think thats true, I suggest you read the many comments people say to or about you publicly on here. In fact, I am fairly confident that many posters will second my opinion that they've lost respect for you. 

That isn't a personal attack. It's not an opinion or statement about who you are. Its describing how I and some others feel about you. However, I do understand that it can hurt ones feelings to know they arent particularly well received. Its unfortunate but the reality. 

As for personal attacks - Saying someone has a 2 digit IQ for disagreeing with you is personal and doesnt belong on this board. Please take your wildly offensive comments elsewhere. 

23 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I'm not speaking on behalf of the entire messageboard. I'm saying the board has lost respect for you. If you dont think thats true, I suggest you read the many comments people say to or about you publicly on here. In fact, I am fairly confident that many posters will second my opinion that they've lost respect for you. 

That isn't a personal attack. It's not an opinion or statement about who you are. Its describing how I and some others feel about you. However, I do understand that it can hurt ones feelings to know they arent particularly well received. Its unfortunate but the reality. 

As for personal attacks - Saying someone has a 2 digit IQ for disagreeing with you is personal and doesnt belong on this board. Please take your wildly offensive comments elsewhere. 

I eventually blocked him, after insisting he should not be blocked for many years. I recommend blocking, then you can unblock, or can read some posts selectively. I also recommend blocking me if you find me bothersome, I understand it. 

I don't like that he's disloyal to pretty well everyone; most here will have a few or quite a few people at least we try to be civil with, and then a few others we find irritating, and may even go after (or block). A mix. Then we end up meeting people, watching a match, over a drink, some guys here play pick-up soccer, are in a supporter group, and that softens positions as well. I personally know 8-10 people on this board and, while I may go off occasionally, that tempers a lot of my posts. But he's irritated with absolutely everyone, he has zero interest in finding common ground with anyone; he refuses to concede a single point. Not even as an insincere rhetorical device. That borders psychotic.

23 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

8 of the 16 teams of Copa America are managed by a rioplatense. 

Perú Chile Argentina Costa Rica Jamaica Venezuela Uruguay Colombia Paraguay

It apoears in Dublin The Republic is going southAmerican as well with Gus Poyet and Juan A Pizzi,  Hervé Renard and a former Swedish manager are well behind 

Three of the almost 100 clubs in Europe's top 5 leagues are managed by a "rioplatense" (or 2, Pellegrino is from Córdoba if I'm not mistaken). 

That is not too convincing, it does not suggest a high threshold. And it suggests a massive contrast between players, with dozens in top European leagues, and managers. A fact that proves there is no discriminating factor at work. Not ignoring that many Argentines and Uruguayans could even have Italian citizenship.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I eventually blocked him, after insisting he should not be blocked for many years. I recommend blocking, then you can unblock, or can read some posts selectively. I also recommend blocking me if you find me bothersome, I understand it. 

I don't like that he's disloyal to pretty well everyone; most here will have a few or quite a few people at least we try to be civil with, and then a few others we find irritating, and may even go after (or block). A mix. Then we end up meeting people, watching a match, over a drink, some guys here play pick-up soccer, are in a supporter group, and that softens positions as well. I personally know 8-10 people on this board and, while I may go off occasionally, that tempers a lot of my posts. But he's irritated with absolutely everyone, he has zero interest in finding common ground with anyone; he refuses to concede a single point. Not even as an insincere rhetorical device. That borders psychotic.

really good post. I know I can dig a bit too deep with my debates and that can rub people the wrong way. But I love hearing different opinions and the back and forth. 

Overall its a fantastic board and a great community to be part of....even with the challenges. 

I think the key on any message board is to play the ball, not the player, so to speak.

To take an exemple from this very thread: its ok to believe that Smyrniotis' accomplishments with Forge are massive enough that he should be in consideration and that saying he doesn't have the experience needed is not accurate. Its also ok to believe that someone need to have experience with clubs at the kind of level which a player need to play to be consider at the CMNT these days and/or at a national team where at least some of the players play at such a level, or at least to have gotten results against such teams, to deserve to be considered.

What isn't conducive to a healthy discussion on the subject IMO is when people start launching personal insults, insinuate that people who disagree with them don't care enough and/or are not sincere or say they only think the way they do because (insert something they said about the CPL somewhere else in the forum).

People's opinions are fair game. People themselves shouldn't be.

Edited by phil03