Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

28 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

We need a well established coach who’s reputation is greater than Alphonso’s whether that be as a player of manager. I know these are unrealistic expectations but I think this is what would be best situation possible.

Maybe I am naive but I don’t place that sort of absolute importance in reputation.  You need someone who knows tactics, has a vision for how we should play collectively, and can communicate the need for shared buy-in to that vision.

Now, that is ideally done with everyone’s buy-in and endorsement, and a good manager will motivate players to get on board.  But if any player thinks they are bigger than the team (and not saying Phonzie necessarily does) the Coach needs to be able to take action.   That just takes balls - not some padded resume.  

In the games where we suffered because of individual hero-ball, I want a coach with the testicular fortitude to make the necessary sub.   This isn’t some radical idea.  There was a period where Phonzie’s style of play seemed to bring down our cohesion and where we really did play some good footy in his absence.  And we all saw it.   Does that mean he shouldn’t start or that we are generally better off without him?  Of course not.  But it does mean that he needs to buy into the system and play his role.  He is a good player but he isn’t winning us Copa America, or even an individual game down there, on his own.  

So if he isn’t playing the system, he can get subbed like anyone else.  I don’t think he would quit the national team because he got tactically subbed after 65 minutes.   And maybe that sort of event would be a wake up call that the coach is the boss - not the highest earner.  And that takes a coach with courage.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I am naive but I don’t place that sort of absolute importance in reputation.  You need someone who knows tactics, has a vision for how we should play collectively, and can communicate the need for shared buy-in to that vision.

Now, that is ideally done with everyone’s buy-in and endorsement, and a good manager will motivate players to get on board.  But if any player thinks they are bigger than the team (and not saying Phonzie necessarily does) the Coach needs to be able to take action.   That just takes balls - not some padded resume.  

In the games where we suffered because of individual hero-ball, I want a coach with the testicular fortitude to make the necessary sub.   This isn’t some radical idea.  There was a period where Phonzie’s style of play seemed to bring down our cohesion and where we really did play some good footy in his absence.  And we all saw it.   Does that mean he shouldn’t start or that we are generally better off without him?  Of course not.  But it does mean that he needs to buy into the system and play his role.  He is a good player but he isn’t winning us Copa America, or even an individual game down there, on his own.  

So if he isn’t playing the system, he can get subbed like anyone else.  I don’t think he would quit the national team because he got tactically subbed after 65 minutes.   And maybe that sort of event would be a wake up call that the coach is the boss - not the highest earner.  And that takes a coach with courage.  

I agree that's what we need.  And I am not sure reputation is the right term.

But I think we get a lot farther, faster (and we need a degree of faster) with a coach that has dealt with big names ( and dare we say egos) than one who will try to make a system happen by laying down the law.  So he can honestly say to people like Davies, "this worked for my team" or  "such and such a player"; "this is how they win things". 

Davies obviously is chomping at the bit to lead Canada to big things, but he doesn't get what that really entails, in my opinion.  A coach that he can respect from the off, is a big step in learning that.

To Phozie:

The ultimate money is made from club you play for; the ultimate glory is coming from the national team achieved. 

To Biello:

If you want to be the coach, please show us your reform plan (before COPA) and your in game adjustment ability (in COPA).

However, I’d suggest you to consider these two offers seriously: 1. A long term job as CMNT assistant coach. 2. A permanent job as U-17 national team. It’ll be a full time job year round because FIFA is going to hold U-17 World Cup annually starting 2025.

To  new coach candidates:

Canada needs two tactic/formations for different scenarios. One for high profile team/tournament (ie COPA, 2026 WC and any team stronger than us), one for challengers and minnows (no need to worry about until 2030 WCQ). Five high profile games are booked (maybe more to come) and 2025 gold cup is expendable for adjustment. 
Budget is limited and ability to handle one elite player is essential. Concacaf experience is a plus but not a must have. Bring your coach team is recommended. 
Maybe qualified for Canadian soccer hall of fame when one of these goals achieved:

one point/one win at 2026 WC group stage.

PM invitation to visit parliament hill and Governor General of Canada will award the “Order of Canada” if team Canada gets to the knockout stage at 2026 WC

Good article by Kloke about Canada's need to continue improving tactically.  I disagree with his assessment that Biello should be in charge for the Copa (he thinks there isn't time for someone new, and Biello has an understanding of the current players), but it's interesting to hear the players say it was definitely time to "ditch the brotherhood", that they can no longer rely on team spirit, and essentially know they need to evolve.  I don't think Biello can do that, which is why I don't think there's a point to having him around for the Copa.  Accelerate the hiring process and find the guy you want for the next two years.

https://theathletic.com/5364468/2024/03/24/canada-copa-america/

Unrelated, but Kloke has actually done quite a number of articles about the CMNT in the past week for The Athletic.  It's nice to see some coverage by a well known (if not quite "mainstream") media outlet.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Good article by Kloke about Canada's need to continue improving tactically.  I disagree with his assessment that Biello should be in charge for the Copa (he thinks there isn't time for someone new, and Biello has an understanding of the current players), but it's interesting to hear the players say it was definitely time to "ditch the brotherhood", that they can no longer rely on team spirit, and essentially know they need to evolve.  I don't think Biello can do that, which is why I don't think there's a point to having him around for the Copa.  Accelerate the hiring process and find the guy you want for the next two years.

Unrelated, but Kloke has actually done quite a number of articles about the CMNT in the past week for The Athletic.  It's nice to see some coverage by a well known (if not quite "mainstream") media outlet.

Like I said if Biello isn't the guy to take us to Copa then who is realistically? Plus whoever we hired to be his replacement would have to come in on such short notice that if he were to come in, it could backfire especially if he doesn't know the players or our system.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Like I said if Biello isn't the guy to take us to Copa then who is realistically? Plus whoever we hired to be his replacement would have to come in on such short notice that if he were to come in, it could backfire especially if he doesn't know the players or our system.

Backfire in what sense though?

As optimistic as I am, I’m going to go out on an edge here and say we’re not going to win Copa. So let’s say we want to try and get out of the group stage.

Does Biello really give us more of an opportunity for that success than a better coach? If so, I don’t think it would be by much, nor do I think it would be worth it long term. 

Get our guy in ASAP so we can start moving forward without this limbo over our teams head. 

Jamaica & Panama were able to attract & afford  higher quality coaches vs what we have. Pretty sure some quality candidates have already approached the CSA/Blue for the job. With only 2 yrs left to WC the sooner the better.  This "understanding of the players" is overblown. Herdman left the CMNT at a much higher level than when he started. It's not a mentally fragile group anymore but one with WCQ, WC, NL finals experience. A new  coach doesn't have to reinvent the wheel.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C405_ivAm2_/?igsh=NDkza2FqYnkwbXd0

This little segment has me to believe that maybe Biello was given some assurances. Because you don't do this kind of send off if with the players if youre not the long term manager.

I think he's the coach for Copa, and depending on how he does there will determine his stay.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

At the World Cup, we played an African nation that had recently installed a new coach. Do you remember how long before the WC he was given the job? Incidentally, that team performed rather well.

37 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

At the World Cup, we played an African nation that had recently installed a new coach. Do you remember how long before the WC he was given the job? Incidentally, that team performed rather well.

Yup.

We wanted continuity and familiarity when Herdman left, issue with that is there is already established idea and perception of how we should play which was going in the wrong direction.  We still have the same limitations as under Herdman without his motivational spiel.  We've reached our tactical limit under this coaching team.  Time to reset and go back to basics and build from there.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

What stands out the most from this article and almost every single media piece, player and coach interview in recent history is everyone except a part of our board here is totally in agreement it was time to move on from the brotherhood as well as the old guard (Borjan, Vitoria....).  I gotta say, it's refreshing.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C405_ivAm2_/?igsh=NDkza2FqYnkwbXd0

This little segment has me to believe that maybe Biello was given some assurances. Because you don't do this kind of send off if with the players if youre not the long term manager.

I think he's the coach for Copa, and depending on how he does there will determine his stay.

Not that I love that but that's what I think will probably happen. We made the same mistakes, I think, players not playing a system and an unbalanced lineup.  But burning everything to the ground, obviously has its own issues. 

Hopefully some lessons learned and the challenge of playing tough teams, who don't want to stifle us before doing anything in attack, is different one that we handle better.  

5 hours ago, costarg said:

Time to reset and go back to basics and build from there.

I agree.  I will say Morocco had the exact players they needed to play the system they did. Tricky wingers and a legit target  man (En-Nesyri), an excellent DMC (Amrabat) and back line that ranged from experienced and solid if a little slow (Saiss) to creative and good (Aguerd and Mazraoui) to probably world class (Hakimi). If you were looking for proto-typical players to slide into the tried and tested version of a 433, they had them. 

Canada's top players, in my opinion, don't fit into that system certainly nor neatly into many.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I think Blue will want his own hire to be long term manager and if he's in touch as he says he is with the fanbase he must know Biello isn't exactly the most liked.

Personally? I think Biello lost any chance at the job when he lost to Jamaica at home. Beating Trinidad and Tobago, who are a much weaker side, isn't any sort of redemption opportunity.

Since when do they care about the fanbase? It's Biello's job to lose, and even if he gets blown out at Copa he'll probably still get it. This is the CSA. I know we're a decade or two removed from Dale Mitchell going scoreless at the U-20s and getting promoted anyway because it was the plan all along, but that "promote from within" shortcut still has the same appeal at Soccer Canada Place

I don't know how I feel about all this.  I'm not enough of a tactician to critique Biello.  I want a manager who the players will play for.  If that's Biello, then so be it.  But the players need to buy in.  Play for Biello or be jaded by Ancelotti (or other)? I'd pick the first one.

Mr Biello has a few months to study his oppants for the Copa . I honestly think he will be under the gun in this tournament more than the Qualifier vs  Trinidad .  This is a very high profile tournament , for starters ,  The opening match up will be seen by a huge audience  at least on this side of the Atlantic , If we get embarassed it will not look good and will be a hige moral downer for the program

1 hour ago, RJB said:

I don't know how I feel about all this.  I'm not enough of a tactician to critique Biello.  I want a manager who the players will play for.  If that's Biello, then so be it.  But the players need to buy in.  Play for Biello or be jaded by Ancelotti (or other)? I'd pick the first one.

But to circle back to the article, the players want a manager who will make them better. They don't need the "team spirit" manager anymore. And nothing about Biello has indicated to me that he's capable of it. We just watched the same frustrating play against T&T as we had against other recent opponents, only T&T wasn't good enough to take full advantage of the flaws.

I appreciate Biello being the one to do the hard task of moving on from some key veterans. I didn't think he would, but he proved me wrong. But the play on the field continued to be uninspired, so I'll thank him for his hard work and hope we move on.

Edited by Watchmen

5 hours ago, Sal333 said:

There is a similar precedent in another sport in Canada;  Canada Basketball.   Nick Nurse had to resign as coach of the MNT in June 2023.  The world cup was in August and September.  The team training camp was slated to start at End of June.   A new coach was brought in in June (days before the camp) and that coach took the team to a podium finish at the WC.   Best ever (by far) performance by a Canadian team at a WC.

Nick Nurse officially steps down as head coach of Canadian men's team; Jordi Fernandez in | TSN

PS.:  I am not suggesting these are ideal situations that you want to repeat.   Yes, COPA is very important  but we are two years away from the next WC.   That's plenty of time.  Its more important to take your time and hire the right person than it is to rush into this.    

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I think Blue will want his own hire to be long term manager and if he's in touch as he says he is with the fanbase he must know Biello isn't exactly the most liked.

Personally? I think Biello lost any chance at the job when he lost to Jamaica at home. Beating Trinidad and Tobago, who are a much weaker side, isn't any sort of redemption opportunity.

Bit harsh considering we won our first game in Jamaica in decades. He deserves credit for that, and if it was lost in Toronto than he's at status quo. 

55 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I certainly haven’t heard any of the players supporting Biello or even insinuating they want him as a full time coach…hopefully this gets taken care of in the next month.  

Most of the Kristian jack clips were far from convincing to be fair.  In fact I found all of them difficult to watch - it’s not really an easy question to put to players before a big game.  What the hell do you expect them to say?

1. Get finances in order would help attract good coach 

2 Thierry or Jesse Marsch for me 

The Barros Schelotto twin brothers Liam and Gus again strongly linked to take over Canada after the result.  The Montreal milk baron is gonna be sponsoring or something.  Also Roddy Arruabarrena linked as well according to La Red.

They said an Irishman is also in the run don't know if it is Neill Lennon, Chris Coleman or Stephen Kenny.  

Gareca took over Chile 

Gus Alfaro Costa Rica.

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Incidentally, that team performed very well at the WC....but coincidentally their coach was a former Morrocan international, and albeit for 1 season he coached his entire managerial career in Morrocco. So ultimately there was a high level of familiarity and understanding of the player pool. That same success was found at our other group opponents in Croatia. 

So like @TGAA_Star, who realistically will lead us into the Copa America at this time? 

Like with Herdman, I'm willing to give Biello a blige, and some time before we decided to hire a Norwegian, 2nd tier Spanish, Argentina based on Javiers liking, or the worst an American coach.

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

Incidentally, that team performed very well at the WC....but coincidentally their coach was a former Morrocan international, and albeit for 1 season he coached his entire managerial career in Morrocco. So ultimately there was a high level of familiarity and understanding of the player pool. That same success was found at our other group opponents in Croatia. 

So like @TGAA_Star, who realistically will lead us into the Copa America at this time? 

Like with Herdman, I'm willing to give Biello a blige, and some time before we decided to hire a Norwegian, 2nd tier Spanish, Argentina based on Javiers liking, or the worst an American coach.

There's nothing new to find out about Biello. You forget (I know I won't) that he was a coach of the IMpact. What you've seen from him is what you'll get